Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Increase in Anti-EV Media Articles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭MarkN

I am not using gender as a platform. I am telling you (or anyone else who is bothered) as someone with over 25 years media experience that she is the go to person for media outlets as she is not ‘the norm’ when it comes to motoring in this country. I couldn’t give a fiddlers if she identifies as a cat, someone in the thread asked why she was getting so much coverage. And stop editing your posts after quoting people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,533 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

..and yet you're still talking about the "person" and not talking about EVs.

Govt has dropped the ball..and the media are doing a number on it.

According to Jennifer Kilduff of AA Ireland, misinformation and lack of education in particular is influencing the likelihood of people transitioning to EVs.

“There seems to be a wave of misinformation being spread about EVs. We’re seeing many people being misled about the facts and real-world performance of batteries in electric vehicles. This is also having a knock-on impact for the used-car EV market,” she said.

“The AA Ireland survey found 53 per cent believed that EV batteries last less than 100,000km, which is about six years of driving for the average motorist in Ireland. This doesn’t align with the eight year and 160,000km warranties that many manufacturers are offering.”

Mrs Kilduff said she was quite surprised with people’s perception of EV batteries. “It is disappointing to see that these myths are continuing to circulate. Modern batteries have sophisticated battery-management systems that increase the life of the batteries to not just many years, but potentially a few decades.

A Job well done. We've manage to turn around declining diesel sales. That's quite something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭MarkN

I assume you’re a grown adult if you’re posting in an EV forum, grow up.

Its likely some are simply bitter about getting caught with devaluing stock, especially UK imports because they couldn't read the market and got caught out.

So now they are on the hype train. Same with the journalist did a 180 after VW dropped their prices, or there's another poster on boards who also done a 180 after his EV price dropped, now spamming every EV thread with the same Fud.

Only problem is you can never trust their opinion again as they've demonstrated how easily they'll flip flop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭n.d.os

My wife told me today she is grappling with the idea of going back to ICE due to range anxiety. This is the woman who has never used a public charger in her life and hasn't left Leinster in over a year. She asked me have I seen Nadias videos on Instagram. I politely replied with; "Yes I have. You do whatever you want, but I might just step out on this purchase." What I really wanted to reply with was, "yeah no problem, but next winter when we're driving home from your parents house on a pissing wet day and you need petrol, you can get it yourself." 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 8,401 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Not media but social media. I've noticed much more anti-ev posts over on the IEVOA facebook page.

A post from yesterday was trying to allude to EVs being slower cars. There's also a near constant repeat of the Toyota Solid State battery articles lately

• Registered Users Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

this is a real problem though, people worrying about problems they never have which is why FUD is dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

yep and a lot of them from people pretending to be ev owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭josip

It won't be Toyota that get a solid state battery to market first. It will be one of the Chinese.

https://newatlas.com/automotive/im-ls-lightyear-solid-state/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,401 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Sure we all knew that. CATL and BYD have been building batteries long before it was an idea by Toyota.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,607 ✭✭✭creedp

Do ye not talk to each other? Seriously if a partner of a pro-EV owner is unaware of the advantages/capabilities/realities of EV ownership and has to resort to Nadia on social media for her information then its hardly a surprise that non-EV owners in general are slow to transition. You need to up your game n.d.o.s😂

I think that illustrates the damage all this uninformed anti media showboating is doing.

We still have another ICE if the OH wants to take that. But they prefer driving the EV. Likewise that mostly rarely filled any of our ICE cars either.

More to the point I think it points to the fact that in general people are easily led, naive and enthralled by social media. Otherwise Im tempted to use the oft used fallback when someone posts an anecdotal story on Boards that doesnt align with my thinking - linky or it didnt happen😂

It used to be I need to put my hand in the wound but we've moved on to different religons these days

Sun worship....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

I wonder are the diesel sales up with the number of companies advertising the "get the last of XYZ diesel before they are gone"

Skoda had a huge campaign and I seen Dacia with something similar.

I can see diesel only going in one direction because you can't get them in most places anymore

Diesel is still more useful to some.

Also the Tesla and China price war is all about selling new cars and market share. At the expense of used car prices. But that's a tactic that only works once and much better value in used market will impact new car sales. And/or make ICE cars more popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭n.d.os

In our circle, there seems to be a prevailing disdain for EVs, even among those who have never actually owned one.

I’ve long believed that the immense power of social media could potentially ignite wars. It’s astonishing how much sway it holds over people’s opinions and choices. But, as they say, to each their own. If she decides to return to internal combustion engine vehicles, I can’t stand in her way. After all, I’ve been the one purchasing her last two cars, so maybe I’m part of the problem. 😅

And yet, I find myself irrationally worked up about it. Perhaps it’s the anticipation of my in-law’s face when they step out to congratulate her on her new purchase, triumphantly declaring that they were right all along about EVs. 🙄

Sometimes, life feels like a comedy of contradictions. But hey, at least I’ve got this metaphorical wall to bang my head against!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭innrain

anecdotal story

Some guys at work were debating how is possible to pay 16k+ VRT for a diesel KIA. They had the invoice on the screen and were saying it must be wrong, the dealer did a mistake. Other one said "With some 10k more" you could have driven a Tesla like this guy (me). I intervened ad said actually my car was 20k cheaper. They didn't believe me so I had to get a linky out. Sometimes people do very little research outside social media, and trust untrustworthy sources for the info they get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Yeah was discussing Model Y in work yesterday with someone who just bought one and a 3rd person beside us was amazed at how cheap they were. Assumed they were 80-100k new. Has been a very common thing over the last 4yrs for me. Also noticed a lot of people have no idea how (expensive) much new ice cars cost

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Shoog

Diesels have a useful life of 150k before they need a major overhaul of the particulates system. This often costs more than the value of the car. Anyone who has been through this will generally say never again on diesels.

20k cheaper than 16k+ Vat?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I think he was saying the VRT was 16k+. There's the rest of the car to pay for too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭innrain

The total on the invoice it was 62k

I see on Kia website now it starts at 64k. With the difference I pay for fuel few good years.

I haven't sat in a Sorento I don't know how better is compared to a model Y. it seems it is longer with 6 cm but Y has a 7cm longer wheelbase so I imagine they are both around the same size. I just skimmed some reviews and they say Sorento is a 7 seater or at least a 5+2 version? All in all is 50% more expensive than the model Y.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

What is a particulates system. Do you mean DPF. Its a bit more than 150k. I have a jeep and it's nearly at 190k miles or about 300k kilometres and no issue with the DPF, and I consider mine low milage it's a 2010 jeep. Who is putting up misinformation on social media now

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement