Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delinquent kids kicking my door, how to manage this?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

If they're under 12, the Gardai will do nothing whether you have them on camera or not.

If they're over 12, they won't do much either. Kids these days have no fear of the Gardai. Or cameras.

The best you can hope for is ignore them and they'll eventually get bored and move on to someone else.

I had kids annoying me for a while by banging on the door which got worse when they discovered I had a ring camera over the door. They like being filmed!

They only gave up when they got bored getting no reaction. I used to watch them on the camera running and hiding down behind walls in other gardens to see how I would react.

When I didn't, they stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Makes one wonder just they do do. Go after people for mean tweets?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

Moved away a few years ago.

Unfortunately an option that, due to our accommodation crises, is just not available to many at the moment.

In physics we trust....

If they're over 12, they won't do much either. Kids these days have no fear of the Gardai. Or cameras.

My thinking is simply, have a talk with their parents (or mother, in this case).

That would be sufficient. I believe they've actually just turned 12 this year as they're in secondary school.

Formerly, when they were in the Focus Ireland setting, their manager was quite clear that if they persisted to be a nuisance, they could and would follow through with removing them from the accommodation.

That's what eventually shut them up. I reported them and they persisted; I believe someone else then reported them subsequently and...... that was it.

Until they moved out.

Now they're coming around for some "pay back" apparently.

In relation to long term council housing and their leverage, I don't know what protocol they'd have in place.

But, Tusla could be the nuclear option?

In physics we trust....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Simi

I don't know if taking to the parents will help. I tried going down that route and it made it worse if anything, also if there's more than one family involved they might back each other up and try to paint you as the problem.

All you can really do is report incidents, but in my case I decided to move as soon as the opportunity arose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Hmmm:

1. The camera only support 2.4G Wifi frequency(5G Mobile phone can work. Just matter to the wifi frequency)

2.If can't connect the camera success, please press the mode key for more than 5 seconds, and connect the camera with the mobile app again.

3. Make sure the camera and wifi router as close as possible.

4. The battery can only support at most 30 minutes without usb cable. If you want to keep it working, please connect the usb to the power, thanks.

Hmmm, dont like the sound of points 3 and 4 for your plan tbh...

No replies to my question on the other one btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭LilacNails

How often do they come to ur door, early in the evening or late at night?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭combat14

get a big beware of the dog sign and see does that work

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

You need a big dog to back that up, otherwise it's just an empty threat.

In the not always good old days, a few kicks up the hole worked. Now you can't assault a kid, understandably, but the pendulum swung too far the other way. Unfortunately shìtty people tend to breed small shìtty versions of themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Dublin 6 is no where near the North circular road

Bet you would be happy with a few kids just kicking football now OP!

Jesus, the things people complain about. Kids playing football🙄

Well now you know what they do when they don't have anything else to do.

No, that was way worse. At least now it's just one ** bang ** and off they run, I have peace for the rest of the evening.

The football went on for hours.

Get a few little scrotes boot a heavy leather football into your living room window whilst you're working, for a few hours each evening....... for weeks on end, months on end, then come back and recite to us "the things people complain about".

Go out and ask them to chill out and they tell you to go f**k your mother and call you a c**t?

Yeah I'm sure you'd be perfectly fine with that, as any reasonable person would.

In physics we trust....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,640 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Here's the deal OP, your reaction will give them a excuse the pun kick out of it.

Do nothing whatsoever is the best approach, do this for a few weeks. And they'll get bored and move on to something else that gives them a kick.

Genuinely escalating this will do you zero favours. You'll get more traction by going Zen.

In physics we trust....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,640 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I was a kid once and May have annoyed a neighbour for a bit. Not a proud moment but it didn't last more than a few weeks. Got bored the end .

If you make it more fun they'll not get bored.

Were you a scrote kid with a dysfunctional, toxic mother figure and absentie father?

Or a regular civilized one?

In physics we trust....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I’ve had this a couple times during schools holidays as I work from home some days - if someone is actually visiting it’s pre arranged or they ring me. My door bell is disabled also. Absolutely no reaction on my part and it’s never escalated. Just ignoring them is the most powerful way. Kids being kids especially chaps of a certain age. It’s as old as time immorial

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭hamburgham

I don’t see how it is the management company’s responsibility at all. How could they be responsible for preventing someone kicking a door? There was no mention of a main door or gate not closing properly. People have this tendency to think the management company is responsible for everything.

Well, as you have found out, kids can be doing a lot worse then kicking a bit of ball around.

if it's not as bad now, in your opinion, then just ignore it.

As you said, it's one kick and then they're gone

• Advertisement

Seriously? They are children of 12! They were playing football.

most kids have kicked doors, or rang doorbells, knocked knockers and ran away. As soon as they don't get a reaction, they will stop.

mind you, if you say half to them that you say about them here, they will never leave you alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭SteM

They don't have anything else to do. Are you serious? What a stupid comment, they'd find plenty to do if they bothered. If you'd read the OP you'd see they don't live in the apartments anymore, nothing stopping them from playing football where they live now. You're to busy trying to blame the poster to make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭LilacNails

One kick?

Have to agree with everyone saying best to ignore it, they WILL eventually get bored and move on if u dont react.

If only could get away with giving each of them a wallop across the head n kick up the ar$e I would be all.for it. Learn to become immune to it. They will always want the last word.

U dont want to end up with a rock through ur window.

Pointing out that they were just playing football, like kids do.

And they probably are playing football in their new estate, just giving the old grumpy neighbour an old kick to the door on the way home.

Imagine having an issue with kids playing, FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭SteM

No, you started off by saying they were kicking the door because they have nothing else to no which is obviously nonsense.

Well now you know what they do when they don't have anything else to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭thegame983

Well my address said Dublin 6 and North circular rd was 30 meters from my house.

Are you under some legal obligation to act the **** on every thread?

Absolutely not true. Do you lie in all your posts?

Dublin 6 is Southside, North circular road is northside, obviously.

Do you abuse everyone that calls out your lies?

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭thegame983

Apart from asking them to settle down one time, and being told the aforementioned for my troubles, I've intentionally avoided any direct interaction with them or their mother (who used to parade about the facility declaring to one and all that she'd "break their jaw for them").

And yes I agree, kids of that age need to get out and play.

But only irresponsible parents would encourage them to perpetrate property damage whilst doing so (which happened).

It's kind of like advocating for kids to use the office plaza as an area to play 5-a-side.

They have that right, just cause they're kids and need somewhere to play, and it's close by?

If you were working in one of the office spaces, you'd be okay with that? (I have no doubt you'll somehow find a way to spin it that you would).

In physics we trust....

• Advertisement

They will always want the last word.

This is an astute observation.

That's what this is all about.

They got shut down previously, they and I both knew they could no longer perpetrate community disturbance cause management would have evicted them.

So they shut up.

But now they're back in their council residence and it's about getting exactly that, the last word in.

That's why this won't stop or they won't get bored.

For them, to get the "last word", they'd have to get me to move out - cause that's what almost happened to them when I reported them previously.

In physics we trust....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement