Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2023/24 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Lovely day here in Dublin City Centre 😀 plenty of sun

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Maybe I am wrong but reading some posters here and there seems to be a north/south divide in the country with regards the amount of rain that is falling. There seems to be plenty of posters getting dry days the further north they are. Here today is the first 24 hour dry spell in what feels like a month.

We have 125mm of rain so far in Feb,on top of 100 in January

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭SharkMX

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

65mm of rainfall here for February, most of that fell within the first 3 weeks. It's really only been the past 5 days that's been dry here in Meath, would probably be closer to 100mm if things continued the way they were through January and most of February. Managed to finally get the grass cut for the first time since end of September. Garden was a swamp up to a week ago and is much dryer now thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭pureza

Beautiful day in Arklow

Frosty and clear now and just 1c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,696 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yeah loving the extra light already. Today was lovely and the moon has been glorious the past few nights. It certainly is the right side of the year.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

six years ago today, Storm Emma produced the best snowfall of my lifetime here in Clare.

Can't post a video here so did so on Twitter

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭bazlers

Certainly was a remarkable event. Never thought i would see a Red warning for cold and snow. Strong winds and drifting snow. Its funny the streamers before the actual storm arrived produced way more than expected.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

This thread makes for great reading, the good old days! I still vividly remember these threads, there was thousands of people on the weather forum, boards kept crashing, the craic was mighty and everytime you hit refresh the thread would jump 5 pages.

Some craic, don't think I'll ever see the likes of it again in my lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭highdef

Sure while we're reminiscing on the snow of 2018, here's my video that I shot that documented it from beginning to end, when I lived at my last house in north Kildare. There's some corruption in the video towards the end that I've never bothered to fix. I don't think I've posted this on the weather forum before but don't mind now as I no longer live in the area.

Post edited by highdef on

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭pureza

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Fantastic stuff, you really made the most of it!

To think our country endured that spectacular event only a few years ago. Wow.

Now we can’t even get a single flake to fall in some parts of the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭OldRio

Rain again this morning and a forecast of 12C. Warm rain.

Tomorrow and Friday cold rain.

Starting to really p 1 55 me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Yet another wet night and morning with 8mm having fallen already. Dull and misty at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

Oh I really really enjoyed watching that , thanks for sharing 👏🏻

it was just magical and hard to believe now how much snow fell , will we ever see the likes of that again in our lifetime ?

we live very very rural so were snowed in for well over a week until it started to melt enough that we could get the car out and up our steep driveway but I wouldn’t have changed any of it for a second ! Well maybe when the farmer doing good clearing the road pulled our phone and internet cable , that was not pleasant and until that point life was great but as soon as that happened the kids became intolerable and they were in grave danger of being grounded (until they pointed out “sure we have been grounded for days now, we can’t go anywhere 🤦🏻‍♀️” they had a point and my threats were totally and utterly pointless 🤣

I also put up the Xmas tree and made a Xmas dinner because I figured this is probably the only white Xmas I will ever get so need to make the most of it 🤣 wrapped up some random crap as gifts to open 🤣🤣🤣 it was ABSOLUTELY MAGICAL

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Personally I don't see anything like that happening again in our life time, if you look at the 6 winters that followed the Beast they've barely produced a drop of snow.

The Beast from the East was a mix of an extreme cold front from Serbia/Russia and Storm Emma bringing the winds, even the likelihood of 2 weather anomalies coming together again is rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Whilst I have nostalgia for observing and watching the BFTE/Emma unfold on here, I can't help but sense frustration at it every time I think of it between me hardly making the most of it and the time of year it occurred. I didn't make the most of it at all. Camera skills were subpar to say the least. At least I do have some kind of pics though I guess unlike 2010 😒 I've spoken to death about the frustrations of the time of year it occurred. If it were to happen again though, I wouldn't care. I will enjoy any decent snow we get. Yes I'd still rather spring like conditions showing up by March with increasingly higher temperatures and brighter days to lose the winter calories but at this rate, I don't care. 10th March 2023 is one of my favourite days ever and blew any kind of expectations I had of March snow away, even if I did have to go to higher elevation. The bluebird skies and deep snow cover gave back memories of Christmas 2010, hadn't experienced such since.

This'll be a completely snowless winter for my location in sea level Dublin, not even falling snow this winter aside from snizzle blowing in the wind on January 8th. 2018-19 had a bit mixed in with sleet/rain on 31st January which is the closest resemblance. I appreciate some other places have had snow at times such as during January spell in the north which I went to chase.

Since the BFTE, I've been trying my hardest to make the most of any great or exciting weather period we get. I've especially done so with the epic heatwaves of July 2021, August 2022 and September 2023... also to some extent the dry spell of May/June 2023. Has made me much happier as a person overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Niall145

January 2021 is the one notable exception, still cant believe how lucky we were to get that snow day in NCD that month (wish I still had all my photos from that day!).

Anyway this has been an absolutely shocking winter. Keeping a very close eye on this Friday/Saturday though as the Wicklow mountains (and even some elevated parts of Dublin and other counties) could get some decent snowfall. Obvs would've preferred it in January but at this stage I'll take anything

• Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Trip to the Wicklow/Dublin mountains may be in order this Friday/Saturday if you have the time and we get on the right side of marginal..etc, haven't even seen snizzle here so far. Anything decent and we'll be up at Kilakee (by Cruagh) for tobogganing.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Last time I was up there with the kids was 10th March last yr. Great spot for sledging. Sadly no snow up there this winter.

What a pathetic winter it has been. Wish we could just by pass March and go straight into April.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Rotten day with rain. 12⁰ Meath. Boo.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

This is perhaps the second worst winter for snow since I was born in the early 1970s. The only reason winter 2020 ranks worse is because we didn't even get a frost that winter either with the PV of Doom. We may finally see a few flakes on Thursday night or Friday but it's going to be a slushy mess at best, the ships have all sailed and were into the Spring. Seems to be the same story each and every winter now.

I've recorded three Aprils in the last 10 years colder than February just gone/going, sincerely hope the mild weather continues after this weekends brief intermission.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

You bet. GFS 12z was especially juicy for Wicklow.

I believe this is the hill you're referring to at Kilakee. Captured on 2nd February 2019 after a large mountains snow event on 31st January/1st February. Excuse my terrible camera skills from then.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Great video. What I wouldn't give to experience a red warning for snow( I wasn't here in 2018) in this country. I doubt I ever will at this stage.

I think the dog in that video deserves a special mention. I hope she is still around.

That's the spot, great place for tobogganing and easy enough to get to.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭King of Spades

I’m out the road from you next to the Hill of Tara on slightly higher ground. Other than a few wet snowflakes (which don’t count) it’s the first winter I can remember in 40 odd years without even at least one sprinkling of snow on the ground.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement