Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2023/24 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

today turned out another lovely day here in Meath after a disappointing morning. Bags of sunshine all afternoon same as yesterday and genuine warmth in that sun too. Fantastic drying again and with 2 dry days in a row now and next few days also looking mostly dry I might be able to cut the grass by Monday. Great weather to be outdoors.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Lovely day in Greystones. High of 9.2c but looked warmer!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭highdef

Ah that old chestnut of observing the pagan calendar in a weather forum!

As has been discussed ad nauseam in this forum, the seasons that are referred to in the weather forum follow the standards as per our Met Service. Deviating from that for you own reasons, such as making a personal decision to follow a different calendar (the Irish pagan one in your case), only serves to cause confusion and ultimately causes issues when it comes to things like statistics and records.

Attached is a very high level PDF created by Met Eireann, which explains what months are in what seasons. The PDF is designed for primary school children so it should be easy to follow by all in this forum. Note that it mentions the Astronomical calendar but it's mentioned that it is not observed by the Met Service, one reason being that the first day of a given season can vary from year to year which does not assist when it comes to record keeping.

I would suggest that you try observe the metrological calendar in the weather forum, purely from a practical point of view but if you do want to discuss things in connection with the pagan calendar, there's likely a forum somewhere in Boards that will both accommodate and support your personal thoughts as to what months are in what seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭Dazler97

In Galway city for the weekend and its lovely but cool in between the showers

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Hope you have fun! A fowl day, rain and sleet alot of the time. I saw a few white mountain tops on my travels today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Rinse and repeat today,awful morning with constant showers. Got a reprieve between noon and 6pm and now it's back to showers again. Just relentless at this stage. Places are floating to put it mildly

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭BagofWeed

Vile and rotten in Cork tonight, pissing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭pauldry

It's almost certain now that the coldest night has passed this Winter. Despite some cool nights coming up February has been very unfrosty.

Mainly looking like normal to mild weather in the coming few weeks with short cool periods and maybe one short cold spell at the beginning of March but nothing seriously cold. The pattern seems to be that mild spells are 5 or 6 days and cool spells 1 to 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Oh lovely 😍 hopefully we see some more snow before spring gets here in full swing

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I don't think we've had a single frost all February, the last Frost I've seen was around mid January. It's mostly been very mild since then both by day and night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Darwin

After a cold and damp start in SW Laois, some interesting cloudscapes in Nice this evening:

I missed a single bolt of lightning, so annoyed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

There almost hasn't been a day in February that I couldn't get out for a run or cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Searching for some elusive Irish snow this morning! There was a small bit right at the summit of Croagh Patrick and I could see a dusting along the peaks of the nearby Sheeffry Mountains. A lovely bright morning in Mayo though with some nice visibility. Cloud started to build more as the afternoon wore on. Nice to get a bit of a respite from those heavy showers of the past few days.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Ladbible talking out of their hoop as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭tiegan

Lovely Sunday morning here in Sth Tipp - cold, windy and lashing rain!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭4Ad

Lashing rain here in East Clare...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Quiet (apart from birds singing) and cloudy. Mayo/Roscommon border.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mix33rr

люблю зиму

• Registered Users Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭highdef

Summer is, by far, my favourite season. Winter is my least favourite but everyone is different and I respect you if you love winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,700 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Well done Goldfinch, I was tempted to go to CP yesterday myself. You picked a cracking day, yesterday was lovely.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

Yeah over 8mm of rain fallen over night. That east breeze would cut you in two

• Registered Users Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭pad199207

lashing hail in Kildare now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭appledrop

If anyone thinks winter is over, today and the week ahead will certainly change your mind!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

am I missing something next 4 days are showing highs of 11 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭appledrop

What part of country are you in?

Highs of only about 7 or 8 here in Dublin over next few days(7 is best we have gotten today and feels like about 2 in that wind) and it will be down to highs of about 4 by Fri & Sat!

Next couple of days look about average for the time of year around 8 to 12C. From Thursday looks on the cool side of average 6 to 9C but nothing really properly cold showing up for the foreseeable future.

The main thing I'm seeing in the models is that it will become much more unsettled from mid week onwards.

Pig of a day here in tipp today. Cold rain with an easterly breeze all morning. Over half an inch fell. Then when it stopped raining,it remained overcast and murky. Definitely a winter's day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Nothing in the forecast really other than cool and wet. Certainly no snow away from Northern mountains. Met Eireann mentioned wintry showers Thursday and Friday on 6pm tv forecast. No charts I see are showing anything wintry for the vast majority. It will however feel cold 🥶

I've often seen minus 10 uppers barely lead to snow in March. Minus 4s are just useless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Dry day Meath.

I thought the morning was brightening up. Seemed much colder in afternoon Coats and hats job.

Gorgeous moon tonight Popping in and out of cloudy skies.

• Advertisement

Another lovely day here in Meath, bags of sunshine and into the 5th dry day in a row here. Make the most of it because it turns very wet and unsettled from mid week.

The next 2 weeks looks very wet especially for western and some midland areas with high rainfall totals possible.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement