Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you vote for Conor McGregor if he entered politics?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

He doesn't take criticism very well at all, in person or online.

Just imagine him in any political setting, he would lose the rag at someone asking him the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,017 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I see he wants to run for President

Hilarious. All the Brits and Americans thinking it means Taoiseach. Him thinking he could get the nomination. He definitely wont. Its all good comedy.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭TokTik

I’ve come to the conclusion that he’s playing this for publicity in the US. One of his latest posts is in relation to the ages of Gerry Adams, Bertie Ahern and Enda Kenny. Saying that Ireland needs a fresh young president like him to lead us.

Everyone in Ireland knows the president has zero power and leads nothing. More self serving publicity from the clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Not even if he was the only person on the ballet, I'd spoil my vote....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Absolutely not. A truly horrible human being. A genuine scumbag.

• Advertisement

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭growleaves

Terry Pratchet

He's coming out of retirement as far as I know (a friend was telling me). He has nostalgia appeal for MMA fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

He's winning. Twitter though is not reality, even if many based their societal views on Twitter reach.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

I wouldn't give him the steam off my piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,650 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The Venn diagram of those who voted for this twat in the Twitter poll and those who are eligible to vote in an Irish presidential election is two non overlapping circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭BagofWeed

It's real life Father Ted stuff nowadays. This could steamroll into something really crazy yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

There's no way he manages to get a nomination out of enough councils and no party will touch him

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

He only does things for attention, in this case he might have a fight on the horizon and he is selling this new stout.

That is all he wants, attention. Plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I wouldn't pi** on him if he was on fire let alone vote for him

• Registered Users Posts: 14,251 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Wow, he's winning a twitter poll visible to most of his supporters from outside Ireland.

Absolutely meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Northernlily

It's a real threat that no one should take lightly at all. See Trump as a prime example. Its all a laugh until he's in power. (Thankfully presidential powers much more limited)

Anyway - McGregor has been latched onto by the far right. They are feeding his ego and he is too stupid to realise. He is loving it and this will snowball. He will run with it i have no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Declan05

Not a chance, an awful individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭beeker1

+ 1 , the sword of damocles should have fallen on that gourriers head a long time ago , but I'm a patient man !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

If he wants to go the Dail route, no party would touch him. If he goes independent and he is just some random angry backbencher - he would be like the anti- Danny Healy Rae. He wouldn't even get onto a sub-committee for hedge cutting

If he wants to be president he needs the nominations of 4 county councils, or 20 members of the Oireachteas. Again, never going to happen.

Even if he does get in one of these ways he will be a small cog in a large machine, with zero power to do anything other than cause loads of noise. Unlike Trump, there is no faction of any established party who will emerge to support him.

As he'd say himself, he'll do nuttin'

He can't win a national election.

If he ran in Dublin 10/12 constituency - forget what it's called - he could perhaps win a seat there.

Sometimes a new Government needs Independents or small parties to make up the numbers, which is how McGregor could gain some real influence. That's a lot of ifs!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Its not a real threat due to our presidential nomination process, he either needs 20 TDs/Senators or 4 county councils to nominate him, neither is going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

It's all hot air and self promotion. He's a master at it. It's literally made him a multi millionaire. All this bullshít is more aimed at the American culture warrior contingent who follow him online, than any real plan for "change" in Ireland.

My thinking is, he would never actually run for an elected office because he knows he wouldn't win. Also, does anyone seriously think he would restrict his extravagant lifestyle one iota by shackling himself to a job in Dublin? In his arrogant head, Ireland is small time and I'm sure he has big plans for more big deals in the US and further afield. If I had to guess, I'd say he wants to be the new Dana White. I could see him starting a new more violent variant of UFC in the Middle East, full on gladiatorial combat possibly!

If he decides to go into politics anywhere, it will probably be America. I'd be certain he'd have plenty of success there as a MAGA candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,375 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Trump caused more problems, and didn't fix any

also our government is different. you need to be in a party that's in government before you can do anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Not if he was the last politician standing in the Dail offering me massive payouts in every budget for the next 20 years. I despise that excuse for a man and would be perfectly happy if he disappeared off the face of the earth never to be seen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Saw an ad for Neil Prendeville there. Funny how the world has changed in 15 odd years. He was heading from great things until he exposed himself on a plane while on ‘prescription’ medication. Stuck on local radio forever now.

This lad, multiple criminal charges in multiple countries, rumours swirling around him (if even a quarter of them were true, he should be cancelled), arrested in Italy for indecent exposure and it all just adds to his following. The mind boggles…

As I said before in this thread, this lad wouldn’t know how to get a broken streetlight fixed.

The media need to call out that if he entered politics, he would be a puppet for nefarious, multinational interests. And you’ll still be waiting for him to fix that streetlight.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭tom23

Where's the option of I'd rather stick my hand in a fire. Though Enda Kenny? Christ. Id rather vote for Putin.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,650 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I've no idea how you got that from anything I said. Have there been many cases of female politicians assaulting men in Ireland?

• Advertisement
Advertisement