Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you vote for Conor McGregor if he entered politics?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Just in case anyone was wondering:

To be eligible for election as President, you must be an Irish citizen who is 35 or older. You must be nominated either by:

• At least 20 members of the Oireachtas
    • At least 4 local authorities
    • Former or retiring Presidents can nominate themselves

Don't think we'll have to worry about mcgregor

• Registered Users Posts: 17,763 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Paul McGrath is absolute bullshit, neither McGregor nor Sharkey would get a nomination. Casey despite getting a nomination previously has a potential issue as the comments that gained him alot of his popularity happened after he was nominated so he may find it harder to get nominated this time round due to them, that's if he even wants to try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭briany

The ignorance of Russell Brand and the bottiness of his comment section has never been more apparent, because he's only after doing a video on McGregor's political 'rise'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

All the ususal right wing mouthpieces are singing from the exact same hym sheet on him right now. Its times like this it becomes really obvious how much they organise their messaging especially when it shows off their ignorance that not one of them knows what they are talking about and are all reading from the same prepared bullet points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭dublincc2

Why do you completely rule out McGrath?

Sharkey almost got the nomination last time but he pulled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Still trying to reconcile that people don't think McGregor has a chance of getting a nomination. Especially after everything we have seen with Brexit and Trump.

Power corrupts and money talks. It's unbelievable until it happens. Like Trump getting the Presidential nomination and then getting elected POTUS.

This is gaining traction. Musk is now behind the idea. It worries me how apathethic people seem to it.

I'm sure a certain cartel in the middle east would love the idea to have someone close to power.

Its a **** real risk. A party might take off and he might start filling seats around the country. His tweets are measured and targetted. He is not writing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

He must be trying to gentrify Drimnagh. I think he is trying to built a buy to rent scheme on an old factory site next to the canal too.

All he cares about is money and his ego. Media just need to keep beating that drum and ignore everything else he is trying to distract people with.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

I rule him out because you are literally the first person I've ever heard suggest it and searching on social media revealed a single solitary tweet suggesting it.

• Advertisement

It's not gaining traction outside of people looking to push n agenda who don't actually live here or understand how our elections work.

Also the idea that he could bribe his way into a presidential. Nomination in Ireland without the entire country knowing about it is hilarious.

Trump is a completely different situation, he took over the GOP and sped up a process of radicalisation that was already underway. McGregor can't take over a party like that. Brexit again is completely different for too many reasons to list.

And saying Musk is behind the idea is even more ludicrous, firstly he was just tweeting about in his usual edge lord way and Secondly once he finds out how little power the Irish president has he won't give a toss because he needs someone with actual power.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

When he teams up with the Healy Raes and Mattie McGrath they'll be unstoppable.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,991 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Not a hope. Crazies like Gemma O'Doherty, Kevin Sharkey and Sarah Louise Mulligan didn't in 2018. Not a chance McGregor will.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 40,991 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Well that's bullshit. He wasnt anywhere near to almost getting it.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,382 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I'd actually go out and campaign for every other candidate against him

He'd never get on the ballot in the first place, I'd hope

• Registered Users Posts: 23,298 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Theres about as much chance of of a newly created Hutch-Kinihan alliance political party getting a majority as McGregor getting any vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

He needs four county councils to sponsor him - he would need to find lots of candidates in lots of constituencies very quickly, get all of them elected (over long standing local reps), and try do it under the radar - its just not going to happen. You have to remember, when the likes of gavin Duffy and Peter casey won nominations by County councils, fg and ff politicians abstained in the name of broadening the field. They would do no such thing with mcgregor

It would take 20 years to build a grassroots movement and organise a nomination, let alone enough votes to win. Even if he got in his main responsibility would be handing out gaisce awards

• Registered Users Posts: 24,172 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The only logical explanation I can come up with for this nonsense is that he's been watching Trump try to blame his legal troubles on "politics" and is trying to position himself to be able to sell the same lies to his idiotic fans when he next ends up in court for assault / rape / incitement / general scumbaggery...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,596 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

'Candidates of consequence' 😂😂🤣

What would be the consequence of letting the coked twat who clearly has no clue about the Constitution or the role of the Presidency in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭slay55

I’d love him to get in , I hate this government so much

• Advertisement

And what would he do as President to fix your hatred of the government exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭slay55

I agree with his latest comments that he tweeted recently

• Registered Users Posts: 28,596 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

And what would he do as President to fix your hatred of the government exactly?

Gotcha, you much like him have no clue what the constitutional role of the president is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Probably should give the suit back to his little brother !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Raysin

Conor's ego would go into meltdown when he sees less than 2% of the votes for him, not sure he (or his pal that goes everywhere with him, Charlie) would recover from a narcisistic injury of that scale.

He's a clueless lump of vulgar ignorance, much like anyone who'd vote for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,303 ✭✭✭Tork

One of the responses from the Independents who could potentially nominate him made me chuckle. "I wouldn't nominate him to wash the dishes"

https://x.com/gavreilly/status/1732904361758466385?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭BagofWeed

It'll be some craic when he leads a mob of a few thousand heads down to Leinster House and storms it. lol.

And what would have seemed far fetched only a few years ago now looks more and more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭briany

He's far too busy sitting in his house taking cocaine for any of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 notJoeJoe

I'd vote for Katie Taylor over Conor McGregor no matter what policies she has haha

Advertisement