Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you vote for Conor McGregor if he entered politics?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

And people are talking about McGregor and politics in the same way they talked about O’Leary and politics.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

Is it your general opinion that "arseholes" are better at solving issues? You're basing your entire argument here on the word "if", so that you don't even have to bother trying to articulate why it is you think he'd be capable of solving this country's issues. If he could solve the such issues, then of course some people would consider voting for him. Do you even think McGregor would be capable of setting out a plan and explaining it to the public, about how he'd go about solving the country's issues?

So all we're left to assume about you here, is that you probably think he's really cool and macho, and that therefore that would translate to him being good at politics... i.e, you are easily manipulated. That is why you bet money on McGregor against Mayweather.

@dublincc2 Maybe Conor will be a failure too, but by God it’s a better shot than FFG. 

You do realise that you could literally put the name of any other celebrity into that sentence in the place of McGregor, making it an equally as valid (if not more valid) argument.

@dublincc2 SF are not really nationalists in the sense that they want a united Ireland, which is a good thing, but on every other position they are pretty much the same as FFG.

Boy, you're really exposing your own ignorance. I could educate you but you're not worth it.

Post edited by Brid Hegarty on

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭StormForce13

I'd definitely vote for him. In fact, if there were 19 names on the ballot paper, then he'd get my 19th preference!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭rdhma

Would you support Michael D. Higgins if he entered MMA ?

Serious question 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,971 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

No.

I will not vote for Senator Forest Gump either in the U.S

This character would have far better chances of being elected given the quality of the electorate knowledge over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Baba Yaga

no...not for all the slim fit,hand fitted hugo boss suits and all the coinage in Ireland...

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭joseywhales

The embarrassment, imagine him threatening some European political snob for mocking him, it would be a total and utter embarrassment for the country. And then the "deals" he would make with authoritarian leaders, we'd be a puppet state within a week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 tcite

No. But let’s be fair, the current crop aren’t desirable either. We’ve had our fill of FFG to the point FG will happily step aside and let someone else clear up their mess. Would Sinn Fein even get the time? Would surely need more than one term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Mick Wallace, Claire daly, ming and McGregor sitting together representing us in the eu.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

Most of them are the ones who comment things like "He'd get my vote" on social media while not being in the same constituency as him and then wondering why the option to vote for him isn't on their ballot paper...if they show up to vote at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,503 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Given the bus was considerably smarter than him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Hoop66

It was not. I haven't tried it but if it's anything like his whiskey, which I have tried*, then no thanks.

*Freebie in Dublin Airport

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Only if he fights Justin Barrett to be King of the W*nkers. Assuming he doesn't lose, cry and start mouthing about Justin's weird wife, he has my number 17.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,376 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I would only if he ran for MEP. Because if he was voted in we would all hear much less of him. As MEP's are rarely heard from.

Plus I assume if he commits any criminality the Belgium courts would be a lot tougher than the Irish ones would be,

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Dazler97

No because he's a mma fighter not a polition

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭randd1

The only thing McGregor would achieve would be to try and legalize street fighting and trial by combat. And no, he wouldn't legalize drugs, simply because his pals make too much money off it.

I'd imagine as a country we would simply be a dead entity if we ever got electing that scrote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭TokTik

As opposed to the Dail full of landlords, teachers and publicans?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Fair point but conor is a dope 👌 he was egging the riots on in Dublin he's only escalating it 🙄 that's not the answer, I know people are pissed off but not the solution at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Not a chance he would be elected president imo. Mad as it sounds, he probably has a lot of followers who would be delighted to vote for him and see him elected as an independent TD. Even though he is distasteful to most people, there is obviously a large cohort who support him as I read earlier that he has over 47m followers on Instagram, and presumably a good chunk of those are local and would vote for him. Also, some reports say he has a personal fortune of $500m+ so he has plenty of cash to splash on an election campaign if he decided to stand. Hopefully it will not be put to the test...

Post edited by mrslancaster on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Plus there's the rape allegations that are pretty credible. General love of beating people up and known association with plenty of drug lords over the years. A thug is a fair description. Some sports people are incredibly intelligent and could comfortably enter politics, McGregor lacks the intelligence and has a general stench of crime around him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,390 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Mac seems to have the good folks over in RTE kinda spooked with his tweets, they spent over half an hour talking about him on Drivetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,953 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

He’d last about 2 years , get complacent / bored, stop giving a shît, say or do something outrageous/unconstitutional and get ninjad…No way I’d imagine would or could he last a full term…

he is a man who likes and is used to marching to the beat of his own drum…a guy who thrives on notoriety and controversy and attention….

not a great personality fit for a role requiring restraint, diplomacy, intelligence and integrity…

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deregos.

We could do with a leader who has some principles of right and wrong and a true faith in God instead of a violent, angry, cocaine fuelled gobshite.

Maybe it's just the way that the world is heading and we're getting the leaders that we deserve. I don't care what insults you call me but right now I'd honestly rather vote for Enoch Burke before ever considering casting a vote for Conor Mcgregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭joe199

He would actually do better than people think, Ticks the main box. He cares about his country which I couldn't say about the politicians at the dail

• Registered Users Posts: 7,560 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Given a choice between

• Dustin
    • McGregor
    • Sinn Fein

I would have to think hard about my choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Astartes

McGregor pardons Enoch and hires him as "spiritule and ettiks" consultant. Daniel Kinehan nailed on for Justice Minister.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Lemme guess. You say ‘gubbermint grumble grumble’ quite a lot?

Advertisement