Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you vote for Conor McGregor if he entered politics?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭techdiver

On I fully understand why and that qualifies my dismay. People can be rightly angry with what we currently have but that doesn't get away from the fact that entertaining something along these lines is either wilful ignorance or akin to some sort of protest vote like Trump and we all know how well that went.

I mock because the very idea is mockable not because I "lack understanding" of why people would go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭purplepanda

McGregor is best of mates with Adolf Putler, so obviously a tankie.

As for that new german left wing party, who actually want immigration curbs, they are anti NATO & anti Ukraine, so whilst I personally would prefer stricter controls on immigration, I would never vote for any Tankie Putin supporting scum!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I'd imagine that if he did try to have a greater public role that some previous 'indiscretions' might get some scrutiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

The sad state is that as much as I really really don't like him he can't be any worse than the current shower of crap 🤷‍♂️

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,803 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The only problem he'd solve is giving some people that special feeling of having elected someone vile.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 59483048

@Iscreamkone what is the Muslim immigration issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

You haven't a breeze how this works.

Even if you look at other countries as an example, take Netherlands as an example, they leaned right with their voting but still at least voted for a politician.

McGregor doesn't have the individual capabilities to run for any sort of position in a government or parliament.

Voters will spot him a mile off.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Duke of Schomberg

As voted for Mick Wallace and Danny Healy-Rae. If MacGregor stands in the right constituency he has a good chance. Of sorting-out the south's problems? no chance - but how many of these doses can the Dail take before it becomes a laughing stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,405 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I’m not saying I think it’s probable he would get into power.

My point is people are sick and tired of the likes of FF FG SF Greens Labour etc etc.

And alternatives are now being considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

People don't like to be called stupid but what else can you do? Up to now, McGregor hasn't proven himself to be a wholesome character. He's thrown out a few soundbites now but he hasn't done much in terms of displaying any political ideas. On what basis, as of this moment, would people vote for McGregor?

People voting for the likes of Peter Casey and Sean Gallagher, people who made promises that couldn't be achieved given the powers of President, don't really know how politics works in this country. It remains to be seen what happens with McGregor but if he makes promises for a Presidency (an "easier" position to get elected to) that do not fit the role then people voting for him are clueless. How else should it be phrased?

A vote for McGregor would depend on what kind of policies he has but from what I've heard of him in interviews, the stories about him away from the ring and his recent social media activity, I'd have no interest in voting for him presently and he'd need to do a lot to convince me otherwise.

I don't have a problem with celebrities running for politics if they actually have something to offer but McGregor is just stirring people up. The types who are raging against immigrants right now probably wouldn't like what he had to say about lockdowns at the start of the pandemic, though I'm sure he'll delete ot and say 'fake news, never said that'. If he could demonstrate some substantial convictions and coherent policy, perhaps but I'd be very surprised to find myself agreeing with him on what he's offered so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭TokTik

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭Northernlily

He definitely can......... In fact i would go as far to say I would prefer a cabinet made up of Danny healy raes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I'd say it would matter at all to his target audience. Same as trump

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Get Real

The "alternatives" though are considerably worse. So much so that I don't think they should be anywhere near government.

While there are faults with each party you've listed, and there's valid criticism to be dealt to each of them, you've just tarred over every party that has ever formed a government since the Republic was established.

Voting in some kind of alternative for the sake of something different is illogical imo.

How much better off are the UK or the US compared to say 2005? The economic problems of 2008 onwards sparked an ongoing "well, it couldn't be any worse" in those countries. Yet I see nothing that by voting in Trump or voting for Brexit/Tories with Boris, that indicates they're suddenly better.

There's a Tory govt in the UK at the minute who are trying to bypass a court decision on danger in Rwanda by simply passing legislation that defines Rwanda as "not dangerous".

That way it's enshrined in law and a judge won't have the independence to rule on policies in the future regarding the deportation of refugees to Rwanda.

Goodbye checks and balances. So much for "it can't be any worse"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

SF are the alternative, they have never been in power and that is what people are leaning towards. Some are only just realizing that they aren't exactly an alternative, only in name really.

Again, that is still a very far stretch to say that McGregor is actually being considered at all. He isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Seriously?!

You are worrying about Conor Mc Gregor " feeling bullied and belittled and the subject of anger " ?!

Lol , that is either comic gold or posting from under a bridge ! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

The issue is that foreigners are generally welcome, but Muslims are not. Politicians are shying away from the issue but some politician will get a ton of votes for speaking out on this - as per The Netherlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I wouldn't brake if he was crossing the road in front of me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

And I would say every politician in power or that is in a position to be in power is nothing but a self serving waste of tax payers money, none of them are worth a cent and they all tow the same line, and with their proposal for new vague hate speech laws who knows how long I'll be even able to say that.

Not advocating for McChicken either btw, can't stand the guy, just completely fed up of Irish politics/politicians

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭BagofWeed

He is making a show of himself again tonight on twitter, would be hilarious if it wasn't for the fact that it's encouraging racism and division and all the negative consequences that will bring to our country, the absolute clown.

Funny how all this madness is about picking on an easy target, migrants, instead of focusing on those behind the housing crisis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 DirectorKrennic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Feck no! Terrible person - coke head , abusive to women, organized crime links, violent ...and can't even spell simple words, an uneducated gimp in a suit .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

The minister for rioting, runners robbing and rape has quite a ring to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Yes but imagine the trouble he could cause for the government of the day by mouthing off. He'd be Michael D on steroids

• Registered Users Posts: 41,021 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Michael D is coherent, intelligent, well read, respected

If McGregor moved to the Aras he'd probably incite so much chaos that the Aras, the Zoo, Farmleigh and the US embassy were all burnt down

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭easygoing39

McGregor would be an ideal candidate for SF really,he likes beating up innocent people up,has links to organised crime and has previous regarding rape,he'll fit in lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

That could be fine gael also no ? John McMahon for the assault amongst others, dinny o Brien and Lowry amongst others for the organised crime and help covering up the catholic churches sexual abuse crimes over the last 80 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,221 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

It’s not just that he is an outrageous scumbag, alleged rapist/coke head, it’s that he comes across as being as thick as a bag of spanners. But if he did enter politics, there are a lot of fellow scumbags who would vote for him.

Advertisement