Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Madame Web

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,173 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

If I had the power to go back in time and change some small thing for the betterment of humanity, I would go back and prevent the Sony Marvel deal from ever happening.

Speaking as a lifelong Webhead, I have found almost all the Spidey related movies to be terrible, with a couple of exceptions.

I'm not very familiar with the original Madame Webb, other than knowing she is much older than what was portrayed in that trailer. It actually looks like they have created a brand new character based extremely loosely off of the name and some of the powers. When did that last work out well? I think Venom 1 was a bit of a fluke, because I hated Venom 2.

I've got precious enough time to watch the movies I am interested in, I've managed to miss Morbius, and from what ive read i didn't miss much, I can't see myself spending 20ish quid to go watch this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Rossie4ever

Haven't seen this yet. When I watched the trailer for this it looked really bad. I'll wait until it's out on streaming as I kinda want to see how bad it is

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've not seen her in much but not getting this boosting of Sweeney I've seen a lot lately across media uh, "discourse", beyond all seeming all a bit "pretty blonde with a nice rack". Not that that hasn't been enough for a Hollywood career in the past, and nothing wrong with admiring a pretty face, but not getting what makes her standout either.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,838 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Really liked her in ‘Reality’, really strong performance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Fair enough and as I said haven't seen her in much other than trailers and bits n bobs; not quite getting the juice she's receiving beyond the aforementioned lustiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,838 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Worth watching her in that alright… basically a one-location stage performance where she has to carry the whole film.

I didn’t know much of her before I saw it and came out thinking this lady was a real potential star.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,182 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Her looks are a huge part of it tbh. I mean by all accounts shes not a bad actress but she knows what she looks like and definitely puts her best assets forward (shes claimed herself that she has the best boobs in Hollywood).

Post edited by pjohnson on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

doing Marvel movies wont help her then, you barely get to see ankles these days 😀

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Will be interesting if that works for her, given how sexless Gen Z are when it comes to cinema - though maybe figure generations will swing back towards films with sex appeal. Funny the Guardian article even uses a pic of Sweeney in its header.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

She is very good in that, it is on Amazon prime now for anyone that wants to check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,083 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Considering how Madame Web the character was used in Spiderman The Animated Series for the multiverse Peter Parkers and Secret Wars you'd really think Disney would have fought tooth and nail to protect this IP from whatever this is but Sony owns it so they don't bow down to the queen of hipsters at Disney.

Absolutely ducked scenario that is Kang is probably Disneys focus Currently and I don't really see Secret Wars happening the way it did in the comics or cartoons, they will probably do a hunger games battle royale PC love fest instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,182 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

She not Megan Fox solely relying on looks for her career, she is a competent actress. Just her looks/body are a considerable bonus that elevate her above other competent actresses she'd be competing with for roles.

She wont struggle for work and has a niche that doesnt have much competition (possibly due to that sexless thing).

I suppose it depends on the wording of the original Sony and Marvel deal with regard to Spidey. How much of the Spiderman IP is included in the deal, I don't know.

I wonder is this movie sort of Sony's answer to The Marvels, with their 3 or 4 female sub-characters who seem to have powers of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

None of these movies make any sense without Spider-Man especially Venom - which is decent but why does Venom look like Spider-Man in a world where there is no Spider-Man.

The whole thing is made more nonsensical I was told because Uncle Ben and Peter’s mother are in this and she gives birth at some point in the movie.

I believe it was her grandmother who said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I’ve enjoyed all the MCU Spider-Man movies but would have preferred if they had kept Peter as more of a crime fighter in his solo movies and up against a couple of his rogues gallery in each film, like Homecoming.

I don’t like that they killed or wiped the world of the memory of Parker, it is too dark and Spidey needs to be more light hearted.

I read they want Holland for another trilogy but the way it looks now is they’ll be lucky to get him for one more, because Holland said himself he doesn’t want to be playing the role in his 30s and time to move on to Miles Morales.

Yeah, in this, Madame Webb's paramedic partner is a guy called Ben Parker. I suppose you could argue its a prequel except its set in modern times(?).

Venom 1, I did enjoy, but you did have to ignore the venom costume looking like the Venom post-Spidey interaction from previous comics and movies.

But this retconning when there is already established characters and backstories is tiresome.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

This is set in early 2000s which ties to around the age Peter should be in our timeline

• Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Holland or a usual Spider-man aged character in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,804 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Looks like it's been released digitally today.

Not entirely surprising really; $96 million made worldwide, barely creeping over its supposed budget of $80 million so a definitive flop without anyone having lost their shirt.

I didn't know it's numbers were that bad, but it looked absolutely horrific.

Oh yeah; not entirely surprising given the collective hammering it has received. You gotta wonder about the projections for the still yet-to-come movies like Kraven.

I've also seen it suggested by some that these god-awful Sony movies are tangentially hurting the MCU brand and ... while a bit of a stretch, not an entirely incredulous one either.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Certainly didn't help that Vulture from the MCU got transported to the Sony Spider-Verse, and showed up in the post credits of Morbius with his equipment (where did he get that?) and had a complete personality change, and wanted to team up with Morbius to take on Spider-Man even though Spider-Man hasn't been shown to exist in that universe yet.

Sony clawing for any tenuous connection to the main MCU even when it makes no sense. It does kind of hurt the MCU by association.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,804 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So all you need to be an EMT is know how to do chest compressions without even bothering to check if they're needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

I watched this out of pure curiosity, and honestly maybe because I expected the worst movie of all time I was surprised. It's not "good" exactly, but not as bad as the ratings suggest, it's certainly no worse than the likes of Wonder Woman 84. It was completely watchable and Dakota Johnson is fine, as is Sydney Sweeney and the other two girls.

Still haven't been able to bring myself to watch Morbius or Aquaman 2 though.

Wonder Woman 1984 was a mess I would agree on that, but I would watch it again over Madame Web tbh. Dakota Johnson was just such and odd stilted presence (I know she can act I have seen her in other things) it also has an absolutely abysmal villain (were his lines all re-recorded or what?) as well at least Wonder Woman 1984 had some fun with the villains Pedro Pascal and Wiig, Gadot fits the role well and the film looked interesting and had some fun, inventive ideas.

Morbius I would put above Madame Web too, you can see what they were going for at least and Matt Smith is terrific.

The critical part of Wonder Woman 84 was ... it was clearly someone's vision, and had a tempo all of its own. Maybe not all of it worked but arguably this was the first Superhero film in a long while that openly tried to recapture the Richard Donner era, gee whizz adventure energy the genre used to have. It leaned into the cornball, the bright colours but didn't quite have the follow through to make it all work & come together. It was a failure, but a failure worth diacussing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Watched it and its not as bad as people say, sure its not great but its watchable.

Advertisement