Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Madame Web

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,569 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So I just seen this. My god was the first hour + a slog. Its not perfect. Some terrible CGI in it some terrible dull and wooden acting and the story is not great either but the last 30 mins or so minutes are brilliant and worth it for all that.

I woukd give it a 5 out of 10. Its an average film at best.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The response to this, as with Morbius, has me wondering how Sony keep green-lighting this sort of derivative-looking guff when there's so many other options they could go for. One that could really work without needing a huge budget would be a "Superior Foes of Spider-Man" vehicle - it's essentially a heist/crime flick that happens to starsome second-rate Spider-Man villains who team up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Not all heroes wear capes. Thanks for taking this for the team.... Still think I'll give it a miss though :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

One that could really work without needing a huge budget would be a "Superior Foes of Spider-Man" vehicle - it's essentially a heist/crime flick that happens to starsome second-rate Spider-Man villains who team up.

See, your fundamental flaw is to forget that this entire "shared universe" is creatively bankrupt from its very foundation: Sony clinging on to that remaining suite of IPs out of dogged insistence they might have value, like the hoarder hoping their garage full of bric-a-brac might one day yield megabucks - while the rest of us just see junk.

And because of that pathological mania, they're not going to take any risks on the properties - that lack of risk ironically resulting in output nobody wants to watch 'cos its flavourless porridge - while simple greed means your team-up idea would only result in one movie; Sony instead preferring to spread already thin gruel far past credibility.

Like I said I'd love to know what Marvel make of these movies, and if there are a bunch of Spider-Man sequel treatments just itching to make use of Kraven et al but can't 'cos Sony are holding on for dear life.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

From what I know of the comics, I think the Julie Carpenter Spiderwoman (played by Sydney Sweeney) takes over as Madame Web from the old woman, and she goes around in a red leather jacket and red sunglasses. So I guess that was the style they wanted to go with Dakota Johnson's version rather than the old woman.

• Advertisement
    Ms

Your welcome and your right. Much better to just stream it. Just watch the beginning and the last 30 minutes at the end and that is all you need to see. The rest was rubbish.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,804 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Do Sony have the rights to all Spider characters or is it only the older ones? I know Spider-Gwen was in the Spider-Verse movies but then animation has different rules I think. Though I think the planned Silk series is from Sony as well.

I guess that answers my own question.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Yeah sadly they own all Spider Related characters

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

At this rate, not for much longer you'd wonder. This is getting absolutely kerb stomped; the box office might be something to behold.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

With the success of the Spiderverse films they're not letting go anytime soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

What exactly were they trying to make?

Morbius was a far better film which is damning all in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,804 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Slightly off-topic but since I mentioned Silk, reports that they've now scrapped the writers' room for the series after Madame Web's performance and plan to skew to a more male audience.

So many questions...

Is the implication that Madame Web was "one for the chicks?" cos yikes.

And yeah, talking about rejigging Silk for a male audience invites so many questions.

Also also, what does Gwen Stacey have to do to get her own live action movie? She's clearly popular in the comics, was also thus in the Spider Verse, but instead we're getting Silk? The one who was written as genetically horny for Peter?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I went to this last night, more out of curiousity than anything.

I went in with really low expectations (to a screen with about 10 seats taken out of 200), but it was definitely a watchable 6/10.

Not the worst superhero movie I've ever seen by a long shot.

Not the worst superhero movie I've ever seen by a long shot.

Out of curiousity, what would you reckon the worst would be?

Ha. I do think there might be some crisis management going on here cos the Sony SpiderVerse is flat lining if not dead.

15 million dollars domestic too, opening weekend. Bad word of mouth will see that drop you'd imagine so it may not even make its 80 million budget back!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

@pixelburp Thor Love and Thunder, The Eternals and Thor 2 for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Disagree on all of those - Madame Web is far, far worse. The only way I can see someone coming to that perspective is because expectations going in to this one were so, so low compared to the other ones on that list.

The movie is watchable only in the sense of completely turning off a person's brain and being interested/enjoy the car crash that is happening in front of you. To do that you need to ignore a never ending list of plot holes, things that just make no sense, and pointless shoehorned spider-man nods. I actually saw it in a pretty full theatre and there were active groans throughout and laughter during what was supposed to be serious moments due to the terrible lines. It is an absolute waste of the cast and the trailer implies a much more interesting story that we never see.

When this was announced I wondered how they'd make it work with the character and it just doesnt. It isn't the worst movie I've ever seen - that online talk is hyperbolic - but a few days later I cannot think of a single positive moment in the movie.

Ms

Thir 2 is a brilliant move and probably the best Thir Movie. Now if you had of said Thor 1 I might agree but not with Thor 2 .

Thor Love and Thunder while not perfect was a lot better than this rubbish film.

No idea about the other film have not seen it but heard it was rubbish.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

why didnt they just make a female Spiderman movie starring Sweeney? it would have made a morbillion dollars

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,295 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That was astoundingly bad.

Dakota Johnson didn't just sleep walk throught it she was fast a sleep for the whole movie and you could see she had no interest whatsoever being there.

I also have no idea where the films $100m budget went.

Not sure what the general consensus is about her acting abilities but her and the other two were completely wasted (no idea of any of their names). Their whole characters where build around random facts - the one with the skateboard, the one that was in the country illegally, and the one that was a stepchild. The posters and trailers were basically fraudulent when it comes to their roles.

In the end, I cant possibly make out what they were even trying to do/set-up:

Even if this movie was well received you either ignore the origin story and a huge amount of extremely necessary character development for 3 key superheroes or you spend most/all of the second movie doing that and by the end of the 2nd movie you've only gotten to the point that you teased in first trailer of the original.

The more I think about the movie the less sense it makes overall and less sense that nobody at any stage said made them stop.

All that and yet I don't hate it like I do other less bad movies - it is terrible in so many ways that it is somehow endearing

Seeing the points laid out like this is hilarious.

It's weird they didn't just start with the Spider-Women, one or all of them; as I said it's bizarre they have this clutch of Spider-People but outright refuse to make a film about them - that this is as close as it has got is just funny. Also kinda weird the hook they came up with is they kill the evil Spider-Man guy in the future? (not a spoiler 'cos it's there in the trailers) Kinda makes you feel a bit sorry for the nominal Big Bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭p to the e

The real question is whether this is as bad as Cat Woman? At least Halle Berry could act

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

I kinda want to see it now to see how bad it is. Never bothered with Morbius.

The background to those points are somehow more insane when you have the additional context from the movie.

While she is:

wanted by the NYPD for kidnapping she steals a cab and drives it around in it for several days without any issues while the teenagers are still missing and there is a hunt for them. This includes a period where she parks the taxi in an airport and she takes a flight to south america.

When:

Peter is born, she makes a joke about Ben dying in the future showing zero concern. This is Ben, her best/only friend, who for some reason had no issues with harboring three teenage girls who were widely shared in the media as being kidnapped, while she went on that trip to south amercia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Quite amazed by how terrible that was. This is the type of film I can imagine being written off for tax reasons.

Phoned in on so many levels by so many involved. Shameful stuff to shovel to an audience. Here, eat this!

• Advertisement

Sweeney herself quipped about this on SNL saying in her monologue "You didn't see me in Madame Web".

Before SNL actually utilised Sweeneys talents in a 5 minute Hooters sketch significantly better than Sony did in an entire film (where a tight black suit was actually part of her wardrobe).

Advertisement