Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for 300 Win Mag ammo and advice

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Exp271

Sorry one groups vertical is slightly over an inch. Maybe inch and a quarter or 3/8

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

So the vertical has improved?

Horizontal is usually wind but if it was mild then, while not able to be completely discarded, it can be discounted to a degree.

I think I asked before if the barrel was free floated and iirc you said it was so that eliminates touching (the stock) as a cause.

It can be the shooter but it can also be the ammo. Without a chronograph and the ability to know the velocity of each round this is also hard to verify. As each brand is different the charge, seating depth, and velocities of the rounds my vary.

Did you try different ammo or use the same throughout?

If it's the same ammo then I'd suggest, and I know it's not cheap, to try other brands and see if it improves or worsens.

I had factory ammo for a 6.5 (lapua) and was getting terrible groups. Set up and ran a few through my chronic and I had deviations of over 200fps with the same ammo, from the same box.

I also had a 30-06 Sauer that would group the frist two, perhaps three shots and they would eventually start to climb high and right. Every time, without fail. A friend with the same rifle in 25-06 had the same issue. After wrecking my head for months I just resigned myself to the fact this is what the rifle done and as I would only ever fire two, maybe three shots, when hunting I lived with it.

Try different ammo, and check results. Only then can you make a prognosis and hopefully move forward towards a solution.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Yes it seems the vertical has improved.

There was very little to no wind today where I was.

I do not have a chrono.

I seem to have the same issue. My first 2 shots were half to 3/4 inch apart and the third shot would fly off 2 inches away.

I have got 3 other types of ammo. I will try it again next week and let you know.

I've still not had a chance to get out. I'm starting to think those last 3 groups after the new scope went on was me pulling shots.

I was thinking of going to the Midlands range this Saturday. Would anyone who knows more than I do be around to take a look at it? I'll be bringing 4 different boxes of ammo to try (Hornady Soft points, Remington BTs, Federal SP, Hornady Superformance BTs).

I've a new Arken EP5 on it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭725b

I have a Blaser R8 in 300 for years now ammo choice is crucial with the 300 I eventually settled on RWS 165 Grain after like you tried all the different factory loads if memory serves me right the Federal 180 Grain was just ok around 2 inch groups Hornandy SST 180 Grain was the worst actually thought the rifle barrel was a Monday morning job until I ran RWS 165 Grain through it all 3 shot groups under a third of inch @ 100 metres still using them.Once you have everything correct with torque ranges etc on the rifle the ammo is very important I find the lighter loads the most consistent. Hope that helps.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies. I managed to get out yesterday. Shot sub MOA straight away with all ammo (didn't get time to shoot the Superformace).

The Nikko Stirling was not holding zero.

Also, I put the rifle into a Hogue Stock from my 270. I noticed that the recoil lug on my 300 WM was very tight on the wooden stock. I measured the recoil lug then the glass bed for it. The recoil lug was larger by almost 20 thousands of an inch. I'll be removing the poor glass bed attempt from the stock and putting proper Acraglas down. Its a shame because I got a well known stock maker to do this and it was a very very poor job over all. In fact everything that was done by him was below amateur work imo.

I put the Muzzle brake back on and it shot sub MOA with that too. There is some difference shooting it with and without a muzzle brake.

I'd like to try those RWS 165s, I rang a shop and he wanted 87 euro for a box of them so I had to say no on this occasion.

Last thing to note for anyone who may have this problem in the future. I did notice a flinch every now and again after shooting it for a while. This lead to a "random flyer" that would "ruin" the group when in reality it was me that was ruining the group. I would recommend to use snap caps mingled with live ammo when testing for problems like this.

Advertisement