Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for 300 Win Mag ammo and advice

Options
  • 13-11-2023 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Does anyone have any 300 Win Mag ammo. I am preferably looking for already opened boxes as I just got a Howa 1500 and it is consistently shooting 1.75 to 2.25 inch groups at 100 yards. I am almost certain it isn't me flinching as I can shoot my 270 in .5 to .75 MOA groups at the same distance in the same conditions with the same rest.

I am using hornady 180 grain Custom International for the 300WM and I'm guessing the rifle may not like the load. I also shot Hornady SSTs and the groups are slightly worse with those. Long story short does anyone have 5 or so rounds from a different brand that I can try. I don't fancy paying 60e+ for a box of ammo just to try it out. I will sort you out for the rounds of course.

The scope I am using is a Nikko stirling 3-12 x56. She held zero on my 270 with no issues, I am also wondering is the 300WM recoil too much for the scope even though it says rated for all calibres.

Any help is appreciated.

Post edited by Cass on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Exp271

Btw I have all the screws (bases, rings, action etc) torqued to the manufacturer specs. Nothing is loose. I must have checked everything 4 or more times by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Richard308

Is the rifle new? Any possible the barrel is burned out?

The rifle is brand new. About 60 or 70 rounds through it. I tried two different stocks on it, one from my 270 and one that's glass bedded for it. Same results.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭RD88

Have you looked at the crown you probably have but the slightest of tiny marks will effect accuracy I remember years ago my 308 wasn't grouping that well I brought it to Dom Byrne at the time neither him nor me could see **** all wrong with it but he recrowned it and it went from doing 1.5 inches at 100 to doing it at 300 straight away might be worth trying for the sake of it maybe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Was it doing it before you changed stock or since?

Torque settings on the stock to action bolts can have an effect on barrel harmonics.

Long shot but without repeating everything here it might be worth while checking.

To be honest I'd imagine it's a case of the ammo just not suiting so trying brands should help clarify that.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

It's been doing the same for both stocks. It's new and has never shot under MOA. I've got other people to try a 3 shot group and the groups are identical no matter who shots them.

The action screws are torqued to 50 inch pounds like the manufacturer states.

Although it is brand new I did inspect the crown and it looks perfect.

Have you checked that there is no contact between the stock and action/barrel?

Slide a piece of paper down between the stock and barrel. The paper should go to the front of the receiver without any tightness or obstructions.

What scope have you on it and have you tried a different scope (even rings) as a 300 winmag can hammer the crap out of inferior gear.

Are the groupings you are getting consistent or are they best? If they're consistent then it's a minor issue. If it's the best group then there is a bigger problem that is "hopping" the poi and this is usually harmonics or sight/mount issue.

Worse case scenario it's a lemon of a rifle (which can happen) and no amount of checks will find a resolution but that is worse case scenario.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Barrel is free floated plus Pat Sludds glass bedded it for me. The absolute best 3 shot group is ever got was almost an inch. And that was a one off. Nearly all groups were 1.75 to 2.5 inch groups, moat being a touch more than 2 inch. So I would say the groups are consistent.

I have warne 2 Piece bases. Warne 30mm med rings and a Nikko Stirling 3-12 x56 that held a perfect zero on my 270. The scope objective doesn't even come close to touching the barrel.

To be blunt, and I've said this to others recently, it's damn near impossible to diagnose over the net. All anyone can do is throw out suggestions.

One thing I would say is take nothing for granted. Example is your scope. Because it held on your 270 doesn't mean it will on the 300wm. Better to try another scope and be sure.

Your trigger weight could be too much and while the pull seems good it could be causing a repeatable and constant shift when being fired. In other words don't dismiss yourself, or others, as a cause.

There is simply too much to check. From rings, scope, stock, torque settings, free floating, crown, chamber, cleanliness, ammo, etc, etc.

First and foremost you need to try different ammo. I knew of two other lads with the same caliber and both struggled to find a good round with one lad resolving that 1.5 inch at 100 yards was as good as he was going to get.

Yeah I'd like to try different ammo, that's why I asked does anyone else have a few rounds I could try.

The original shop I bought it from are taking it back tomorrow to have a look over it.

• Advertisement

I done some checking online to see if there is anything I've overlooked and the Howa have a good rep (I have one myself in 223 and it's a tack driver), however two reports I found had the exact same problem as you.

One was a guy using reloads in the UK and so it could be down to the bullet make up.

The other guy couldn't figure it out, went it back to the dealer, and after testing the dealer even said it's not right and changed the rifle after failing to diagnose the issue.

You're on the right track asking for ammo recommendations first as it could be as simple a fix as that so keep us informed as Id like to know if you solve it and secondly it's a great source of info for others in a similar position regardless of the gun make/caliber.

Thanks so much for the help Cass. I will let you know tomorrow what the dealer says. I'm almost certain it's either the ammo, scope not holding zero or the rifle itself. Just got another man to fire it this evening and same results with him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭hiddenmongoose

Its already been stated above that it is near impossible to diagnose over the net, and Cass is right on that.

With that said I will offer 2 points, and this is from someone that gets ammo to test regularly and has years of experience running magnum calibres.

Firstly your scope and mounts, while they held zero on your 270, it does not mean either are able for the 300wm..its a different beast. So I would ask someone could you try their scope and mounts and see will it group. I run a Sphur one piece mount on my 338LM for this reason

Secondly, when trying ammo to see will it group, you are going to need 15 to 30 rounds to see the potential. Time and time again when I test ammo, switching from one brand to another and then back to my normal ammo I see the first 5 round group is often 1.5MOA second 5 rounds the same..then they start to shrink, by the 5th or 6th 5 round group the groups will now be shooting at their best.. the gun will then continue to group the ammo at this level. When I then return to my normal ammo(which is ragged single hole groups) It does the same thing, starts at 1.5MOA size then by group 5 or 6 it setttles back. I have seen this over multiple rifles of various brands from remington to Accuracy International and from calibres from 223 to 338. I am also not alone in seeing this as another friend who tests ammo has also experienced it.

Thanks for the help. I'm going to wait and see what the dealer has to say tomorrow. Maybe it's something obvious. Failing that I'll get different types of ammo and throw my 3-24 Octa scope on it. My own feeling is that it's the scope.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Larry60

I have been using aCZ550 Medium in .300WinMag for about 6 years now. My rifle is a bit finicky with ammo too. Where are you based? I am in NW.

I am based in the south east.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Larry60

A bit far too far to meet and give you a few rds.

Yeah true. I'll see what the dealer says tomorrow. I rang a place that sells RWS 300 Win Mag ammo and he wanted 87e for a box of 20. I thought 60e a box was stiff for the Custom International Soft Points.

Ok so I got a text from the dealer this morning saying to drop it up today but he won't be back until Friday to look at it. I'm going to get a box of federal power shok and try that in the mean time with a different scope

Okay so I got a box of Federal Power Shok. Going to shoot that today and see how it groups. If it's the same problem of 2.5 inch groups I'll change scopes and try again. I have a box of Remington Accutips coming tomorrow.

By the end of tomorrow I'll have used 4 different types of ammo.

2 scopes

3 shooters

2 men checking over everything like screws etc.

2 stocks.

• Advertisement

Success? Failure?

I went out today with what I think were the last 2 variables in mind, the scope and the ammo. I got a box of Federal Power Shok to try, also 180 grain. I put the Nikko Stirling Octa 3-24x56 scope from my 270 onto it. My own feeling was that the scope was not holding correct zero.

First 2 shots with the federal were .6 of a inch apart. I have never seen that up until now. The third shot I know I pulled which made the group a 1.45 inch group. I decided to try out the Hornady Custom International again and the first 2 shots with that were .45 of an inch. Then disaster struck.

About 2 or 3 weeks prior I bought this Nikko Stirling Octa 3-24x56. It was great and zero'd nicely. On its maiden voyage my friend spotted deer in a field about 250 yards from us. I couldn't see a thing because the scope was so blurry. I adjusted the parallax from minimum to maximum, nothing changed. I brought the scope back to the shop the next day and it turned out to be an intermittent problem with the parallax adjustment. So I got a brand new replacement model. This brand new replacement model is what I used and after these few shots with the 300WM same issue struck again. So I had to stop the test. I decided to take one more shot even though it was blurry, on lower zoom it wasn't as blurry but it was still pretty bad (and no it was mirage I was dealing with as I waited 3-5 minutes between each shot).

The third shot of the Hornady either wasn't on paper or went through the exact same hole as one of the previous 2 shots, which I think it did because one of the holes was ever so slightly bigger than the other.

I am very disappointed with the scopes. Although these little 3 shot groups are promising I will need to get a decent scope before I can confirm anything. But with all that being said a .45 MOA group straight away with a different scope gives me a little hope. (it has never come close to shooting under MOA before today let alone half MOA)

If nothing else you've gone from a myriad of potential problems to probably one. This is why I suggested above:

Cass - One thing I would say is take nothing for granted. Example is your scope. Because it held on your 270 doesn't mean it will on the 300wm. Better to try another scope and be sure.

Have you access to a better quality scope, loan or own? This will tell you for sure but it seems you've found your problem.

I'd be interested to see the results with a better scope so make sure to update when you get to try it.

The scope I used today was a different scope, sorry maybe I wasn't clear. It seems to have held zero but the parallax problem came into like before. I assumed the 3-12 scope that I used before today was the problem after I got the 2 other guys to shoot a group, even though I was assured it was all caliber rated.

I'll try sort out the scopes tomorrow with the dealer as both are clearly faulty imo. They come with a lifetime warranty, one is 2 weeks old and the other is 13 months old. I'll keep you updated.

Yeah, I understand it's a different scope but my point was that because one works on one rifle doesn't mean it'll work on another.

Perhaps you got lucky with the one on your 270, or unlucky with the one on your 300wm. I assume you went with Nikko Sterling again, because it worked on your .270?

Absolutely no offence intended but I wouldn't rate Nikko Sterling as god enough for large calibre rifles. I say this to experience, not snobbery.

I had one on a 6.5 many years back. Held for a.whilenthen.ent belly up. Had it replaced and the new one soon went belly up too. The RFD told me that even though the manufacturer claims all caliber rated they're really not. In the end I saved up and went for my first Nightforce.

This is why I asked if you had access to a good quality scope, even just to test with. If you had a quality scope, again no offence to your choice of scope, that is proven to be all caliber rated, then you could do some proper testing and finally get a definitive answer.

Yeah I'm going to try get a good scope today like a vortex or something. It'll probably just be a loan but that's all I need right now

After speaking with the dealer, the rifle and both scopes were given back to the original supplier of Howa rifles in Ireland for him to look at.

He said he'll look at it tomorrow when he's back but I've dealt with this man before and I'm not going to hold my breath.

Original supplier came back today and confirmed that the scope was gone bad. I'll be getting the gun back tomorrow with an Arken EP5 on it. I'll test it out and let you know how it goes

Went out today with brand new Warne rings and a brand new Arken EP5. Took two 4 shot groups and one 5 shot group. Still well over an inch. There was very little to no wind, shooting from a seated bench position.

Are those photos the way you shot them or have you turned the images to upload them.

I'm asking to determine if it's vertical or horizontal stringing you are experiencing.

• Advertisement

I think my phone auto rotated or something. The vertical grouping is all under 1MOA. It is the horizontal grouping that is off up to 3 inches.

Advertisement