Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Ireland 2024 road calendar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

Ah yeah I was making the assumption there would be ice on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Hardy buck weather, white shoes left at home and get up the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭Macy0161

That's great in theory, but much harder to get marshals once you hit holiday times. Even June races, you'd be surprised how many are away when clubs look for people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Sunday is promised dry.

Some of us cannot commit to a race until a day or two beforehand. That's the reality of family life

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Sunday might be dry, roads are absolutely lethal today and there doesn't appear to be any gritting done. At least in Dublin there was a solid 90 mins of snow

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I respectfully disagree, we are the only sport that doesn't close early and have major issues because of it. By letting riders have a choice until 3 days before hand, they all have a peak at the weather and decide not to HTFU and go out anyway.

It should be closed a month in advance, minimum. Then we would see if those are viable or not. Newbridge possibly last yar had the biggest field I ever seen after a different race cancelled. It is the idea that all races plouhg on until the last minute that destroys them in the current climate.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I don't know. I think you're limiting your entry to people who know that far in advance they'll be able to race. Usually I'm only sure I can a few days beforehand. Most of the people I know with young families are the same.

If we were still in the 1980s, I could just bring the kids with me and leave them in the car with a few bags of crisps and the windows cracked open.

I can't commit until a few days before hand but that is my issue, not the organisers. It would be my job as a family member to notify the family well in advance so no family things that require me are booked, and if they are, I make up my mind on who will prevail. My kid could have a GAA thing or scouts, my wife might have a family thing, my ex wife/girlfriend may have booked the weekend and I can't as the court says the kids are mine that weekend.

Close a month before hand, any race that decides to cancel within 5 days of entries closing, have eventmaster offer either full refunds or a transfer fo fees across to those races still running further increasing numbers. No more than one race per province per day.

I see other sports that close entries months in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

Other sporting events are less frequent and A races in their calendar. I have no issues committing to something like Gorey, Ras or other A races.

For most racers it just would not be feasible to commit and pay up front a month in advance for lower priority races so disagree. Prior to online sign the bunches at weekend races were dangerously big.

Roads are fine down here again the rain actually helped and washed the snow away. It’s not set to freeze again so hoping for a good weekend of racing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Junior

As for race entries, it's a chicken and egg scenario, and a good portion of blame sits with riders. I've done promotion for a number of races, You'd start advertising 6-8 weeks in advance, you'd make repeated posts across all platforms, and 4 weeks out you'd announce when the closing date is. To give you a bit of planning time, do we need to adjust races, do we need more cars, what do we need. Again advertise closing religiously. And sure as day follows night, you will always have a clatter of lads, I forgot to enter, I forgot to do this, can I get an entry. And you'd also get the lads, oh I entered but I see it's raining, can I get a refund. Clubs struggle a lot to generate sponsors, to generate good will to run these events, a little appreciation from the riders wouldn't go astray at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭nilhg

Surely there's a case for a discounted, non refundable early bird entry fee for those who enter early, then for say the week of the race anyone who wants to enter has to pay 1.5 or 2x that?

It might or might not work but unless some brave club tries it we'll never know?

I suppose its one of those things we will disagree on. In my opinion the majority of racers either have no A race or their A race is not one of the big events in my experience. Newbridge last year had the largest A3 field I have ever seen because another race was cancelled. Maybe it is just me but I typically set out the races I plan to do early in the year, and if they opened early, I would probably enter them ASAP, put it as a marker on my calendar. At the minute I don't because everything changes so last minute.

If entries had been open in January or even Dedcember, I would have entered several and I would already be on course to miss the first one. Race organisers could get the option to leave entries open if they guarantee it is running the month before.

Just an idea and without trialling it, we will never know.

Other options I would like to see trialled are counting back for handicap races, I know alot of riders said no to the Lucan GP last year because they would get blasted out of it. If they counted back further like we do in club leagues so that strong A4s and A3s earn their points, it would make those groups far more competitive IMO. One fo the best things in Mondello as an A4 (before they seperated out the A4s) was trying to hang on in there to the end. The eagle eyed knew if they still had to compete. I got 1st A4 there and I worked for it, it gave an incentive to keep going. Top 3 placings for the A4s and A3s in handicap races would do a huge amount for entry numbers and competitiveness in handicapped fields, but again, just an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Weather keeps shifting for the AM....Could be zero degrees up to close to the start in Summerhill.

If the worse comes to the worse I wonder if they could shift the start time forward an hour as an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭columbus_66

I see the ice warning is until 9am in the morning so it's not looking great at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Posted by Dublin Wheelers earlier.

Less races each weekend is a simple solution, with rotation between provinces (though connacht has much fewer races) - spread them out more over the season. August is particularly devoid of races due to national championships.

The weather in September is better than March.

9am update , I’ll be there by then so fingers crossed 🤞.

The early update is appreciated from DCW and also for those unsure please stay at home 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Although I'm kinda in the middle ground between Cram and sign on on the day, where I enter races/ events and can't make it, the entry fee is off set somewhat (and sometimes more) by no costs of going to the race - diesel, coffee(s), nutrition, ego intact, etc.

Cycling Ireland newsletter arrived in the email today.

Not one mention of the domestic racing season commencing this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭wav1

any word on A4 numbers please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭wav1

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

That’s great news. Sure hope it goes ahead 👌

Lovely clear morning very light frost which will be clear by starting time so we’re looking good to go

best of luck to all racing today. Stay safe and have fun

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭burger1979

9am update - Dublin Wheelers Open Race - 2 Mar 2024

Early morning inspection complete.

Race is expected to proceed subject to final inspection at 10am.

comments from their facebook page this morning

Well how did everyone get on? Few bad crashes from the looks of things so hope you all kept the right side down

A good days work in the A3 anyway albeit a bit negative in terms of not many pulling to chase back the lad up front. There for the bunch kick bit unsure of placings.

Anyone got the full result?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Started the A4. Great conditions for racing in the end but my legs failed me very early. My two clubmates fared better and managed to avoid the crash.

Thanks to all involved for organising and Marshalling.

Advertisement