Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Ireland 2024 road calendar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

If you were in my Club and had never raced I would be saying start with a Club League first - even just 2 or 3 races, before you jump into A4. It's not about fitness - just getting used to being in the bunch and having some common sense.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The tone of their post on Facebook earlier on this week was way off. Almost stopped me from entering. If you want people to enter, don't insult them.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

CI should take some responsibility here? We had no racing for 6 months and opening weekend has 8 races across 4 provinces. Of course individual races are going to suffer numbers wise.

I also notice it’s 20 quid a pop now and Newbridge is 25!!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Traditionally, you'd get the biggest numbers in the first few weeks of the season. This is why there are so many races on. You can't really blame Cycling Ireland if entries drop off. They're going on what has happened in earlier years.

If numbers are bad now, they're likely to only get worse as the year goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Race fees i don't have an issue with given a sportive these days is €50.

Entries will be a major issue this year looking at the early calendar, too many scheduled for early season which should have been assessed by CI with the clubs.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'd also add if your club does specific race skills training so that - I'd say that stood to me more than handicapped club races, although if that's going to be the format of A4/ A3 races maybe not so much these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

What are the CI Regs around points in an A3/A4 handicap? (Asking for a friend - I've no chance of being at the pointy end).

Charleville 2 day last September was top 10 so I imagine it will be similar

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭this.lad

There's probably a need to close entries races further out, like Friday of the week before. I'm guilty myself of not having entered yet despite planning to race on Sunday in A4. If the closing date was gone i'd be in, I have a bit of a bug or something myself so was holding off, probably lots of people watching the weather etc too.

Are overall numbers of people racing just down too though? and what's the cause?

• Advertisement

AFAIK, the only relevant rule is that A4 may only compete with other categories when it's a handicap. Race is still within the max distance for A4, so all good as far as I can see.

Points for the first 8 over the line overall as it's below 80km though open to correction on that.

Re. Entry fees. Anyone complaining about the cost should try running a race for less than tell us how they get on. Running races is not a money making exercise for clubs and there's plenty that run at a loss. Lower entries doesn't help. A lot of your costs are relatively fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭ericzeking

The online only entry is not a good model....you have alot of lads in their 30s and 40s racing, with busy lives and kids and they may not neccessarily be able to fully commit or even have it in their heads to enter on the Tuesday or Wednesday and then it gets to Friday/Saturday, you realise you can race and entry is closed...it happened to me a couple of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭wav1

No separate points for A4s in a combined race so difficult for lads looking to get up and ride gorey etc so an unfortunate knock on effect. Numbers racing are definitely lower than pre covid .

I would expect just like last year some cancellations as the season evolves as most races can't even break even.

Also my information is that leinster removed the old cap of e20 entry fee for single day races just this week as some promoters were looking to increase. Its a tricky one bills have to be paid yet need to keep the sport affordable.

Does anyone know what the numbers are like for Summerhill on Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I don't understand how people complain about 20/25 entry fee and then splash 4/5k+ on a bike! 20/25 is nothing in comparison to what they have already invested. Also having some from triathlon where entry prices are multiples of this i really cant see how people complain about such low fees. Clubs don't run these at or for profit.

I think the bigger issue is the overall expense (travel/equipment etc). Not much CI can do about that. To me 8 races on opening weekend is a bit crazy, i think they need to look at a max number of races across the country on any given weekend. That's something they have control of.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

A lot of people don't need to physically race anymore to get that bug I think. Zwift, Strava, fast club spins are scratching that itch for a lot of people I suspect.

There's a couple of racing clubs down my way who haven't been seen at a race in a couple of years but still give each other a kicking every saturday and sunday on spins. Each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Bambaata

This is true, ive moved west this year and the lack of events in Connaught has me scratching my head wondering when ill have an opportunity to race at all. Family life, countryside living and a partner that doesn't drive yet limits me as it is! I was spoiled in Dublin with the amount of local races and Vets league events! I am with such a group of lads that absolutely kick the sh1t out of eachother each Sunday! Most do race also however.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Not really convinced by that argument to be honest. I have to be more organised and planned being in that boat and would know if I have a pass for a Saturday or Sunday, at least provisionally, at least by the Wednesday.

Bambatta mention triathlon - they're open (and often sold out) months in advance, despite the much bigger cost. If you can't make it, about the best you'd get is an ability to transfer or carry over to the next year!

• Advertisement

From what I can see, locally at least, there's just not enough new people coming into the sport. You need a constant supply of fresh blood because the people who pin a number on year in, year out are the exception. The average competitor will go hard at it for five or six years and then stop.

Around ten years ago, we had no end of people in their thirties taking it up and would bemoan how old they were. Now I'd kill for more people in their thirties even. What's driving the decline? Strong economy is probably the main reason. People are working harder then ever and have less time for sports. I feel the housing crisis isn't helping either. We've had a lot of promising younger guys move abroad who I'd say may have stuck around if the cost of living here wasn't so high. COVID didn't help either. With everything shut down there were a few years when there was no one new coming into clubs. Clubs themselves could maybe do a better job at recruitment. I've seen some that create a lot of barriers to entry to join, mandatory training courses, long waits etc. That puts young people off. And some being overly prescriptive on who can join: experienced racers only etc. You need to bring people on.

Only bright spot on the horizon is the number of people coming through the underage ranks these days.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Same here, if entries were open on January 1st, I'd enter every race I planned for before the end of the month. Probably would only make half of them. This option of giving you a chance till the day before gives everyone the chance to bow out last minute but with three days to go, you have already booked ambulances, support staff from the club, halls, Commisaires, photographers, permission and emgagement from locals, club mates have told their families they are gone all day for something they aren't taking part in and I am missing half the stuff that goes on.

It really should be policy that the day that the calendar goes live, race entries open, and close with a month to spare. That gives clubs a chance to cancel well in advance if numbers are low, give the club 5 days to decide and then cancel a month in advance. Eventmaster could also be set up that if a race cancels, they offer a free transer to any other race on that weekend.

Any indication of numbers for DCW on Saturday? For the A3 race specifically.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

They really need a different online booking system than event master. The fees are a joke

Snow is not ideal! No snow up north so potentially switch to Banbridge if Summerhill gets the can

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

The calendar really needs to shift at least a month later into the season. The online system where it closes early also ensures anyone on the fence will not sign up.

Personally I would have liked to ride Summerhill but didn't sign up based on weather forecast which looks like the right call. Why race in miserable conditions and risk sickness/crashes.

In Leinster all the nice races are early season and come summer all that's left is short/flat handicapped races.

Nothing officially but there’s snow in Meath I can’t imagine they’d let a race off in the snow?

It's bike racing, not football.

First race of the season 2015:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Its seems to be from looking at the outlook we shouldn't have ice on the road and it will be dry. Should be fine.

Advertisement