Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Ireland 2024 road calendar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

Healing up ok after crash in wk 1 of Newry wheelers lesgue.

Shoulder out back together,ll amsee s to be hearing well.

Ear stitched back together also feeling well

Ribs still a bit tender

Due to go in for x-rays tomorrow to ascertain how all us healing.

Doubtful I'll race again this year. Might do a cmfew xx races in the winter (pending wife's approval of the same)

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

Tour of Mournes was a great race very well organised but by God did those 2 trips up Spelga Dam hurt 💀 💀 💀

• Registered Users Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭dahat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭wav1

Details for Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mamax

The Crotty Cup 90th Anniversary

Sat 11th May

A1/A2. A3. A4/m50/m60. Separate races

Womens race is 1st round of the womens intermediate league

Please pass this info on to all the women in your club

Registration closing Thurs night

Post edited by mamax on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Morris Garren

Women? I'm just saying-- 'ladies' is like throwing petrol on a fire for some. There is no 'lady cyclist' licence. Don't shoot me! Best of luck with the race, takes a lot of effort to put it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mamax

LoL Sorry about that good old copy and paste from an email, edited and point taken and yes it takes a lot of work to organise a race, the mens races always fill up but the 'womens' race was cancelled last year because of low numbers so we try again this year, if we don't get the numbers this year I doubt it will be tried again next year so hopefully.

Anyhoo back to begging, please share to all the women in your clubs, thanks 😊

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Agreed on the ladies nonsense. I don't see a gentleman's race so why a ladies race!

We're women. Men's and women's races. Simple!

I’d love to do this and make a weekend of it and bring the family but I’ll sadly have to give it a miss this year 😢

Doing the Sean Lynch on Saturday and the Shay Elliot on Sunday. Looks like the last 2 hit outs before May 22nd……

First double weekend of racing for me ahead.

11th Crotty Cup

12th Greenmount Crit

Hoping to be A2 by Monday morning…. ( unlikely)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Just want to get healthy again to race anything 😭 Ras very close now and not been able to do much for over two weeks with a lingering cold/cough!!

Thanks to all for a good day out at Sean Lynch Memorial earlier today.

Great racing in good (If a little hot) conditions . Great help too which makes it all that little easier. 2 more open events to come for us in July with 3 already done and dusted.Good luck to anyone facing Wicklow Hills tomorrow.

Things today didn’t go according to plan 😂😂😂.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Bike racing is hard

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Everyone has a plan until the Juniors get a break from leaving cert study.

Especially when they needs points for A2 in a hurry.

They really shouldn’t be in a hurry 😂 since I’ve upgraded I’ve done;

Donal Crowley

Tour of the Mournes

Sean Lynch

Shay Elliot

you essentially go from A3 to racing the best of A1. It’s like a weekly bloodbath 😂 and with respect to the very good juniors who are coming up a lot are getting shelled out the back (with me)

It’s about development of the higher class juniors, giving A3 lads a hiding winning by 2/3 mins isn’t any good long term and this has been recognised by top level coaches within the road structure here. The current system isn’t too bad but some further tweaks would be benefical, allow riders choose A2 from the outset as jnrs can now race same gearing as senior riders. This will restore a better balance in A3 long term. As an example the A3 / JNR race yesterday all bar one of the prozes & places taken by junior riders. The standard A3 climber has no chance in that race under current structures.

Also it’s about picking the correct races for lads like us in any grade. With respect the Donal Crowley and Shay Elliot are races that attract the best of riders so one need to be realistic when deciding to ride these.

Edit - drifted off to something else here but you get the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Junior

To be honest, CI should be developing more depth at Junior, so they are actually racing in a standalone event. I understand this means an extra race on promoting club, but it wasn't long ago we had clubs running U12, U14, U16, Junior, Ladies, and 3 Senior races.

• Advertisement

Can we throw in specific M40+ races too ? 😂

Most A3 races these days are juniors with M40s so solve junior issue you have M40 races. Then all you need so is avoid upgrades or get to 46 quickly.

Brian O Loughlin memorial - does anyone have a GPX file to post here?

Edit - sorted

Post edited by dahat on

Undoubtedly an issue that needs addressing going forward and I understand that there is a very good working group working around the categories for 2025.Not all issues can be solved at once though and will take trial and error. The stand alone Junior race would be great in an ideal world but probably undoable at present. I would love to have a start sheet from every A3 race since the category was introduced and I'd say you could count on the fingers of one hand the amount of times it would have been feasible to run a stand alone Junior race.You need a realistic field size to make it work in any way.

Problem there as well might be that not every junior is at that level and would make for a very disheartening race for the juniors who aren't amazing!

anyone racing this weekend? Seems a bit mad to have a round of the National series 3 days before the Rás?

Ample opportunity for those not riding the RAS to get a win but the race is struggling for numbers it seems.

Personally hoping it goes ahead as the A3 race & parcours should be perfect for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Junior

I think it's one of those build it and they will come type scenarios, if for example you get a strong club, can they negate a solo strong rider, it would help better develop riders in my minds eye.

Those M40 lads however can go off and find another hobby :-)

yeah I see the Emyvale A1 race got the chop also. I really hope the 2 clubs get the numbers to run the events. It’s just frustrating because I know a lot of people would be more than happy to support them if logistics were different

I think a good few (including myself) are doing Robinstown on Saturday

• Advertisement

Emyvale could now be a good chance for A2 lads to get a win.

Advertisement