Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jozef Puska guilty of murder of Ashling Murphy (Mod notes and threadbans in op)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭riddles

The culprit in this particular crime would likely not have been in the country if not being socially supported. Most people posting on here work with and have neighbours who are migrants etc and whose kids if from Ireland and of Irish born parents are probably in the minority in their classes in school if in bigger towns and cities.

The questions I personally put to the minister for welfare and had to restate given her response.

Dear Minister - I am asking specifically why we are paying social welfare to EU nationals beyond 12 weeks where no social insurance payments have been made and also supporting them with social housing when there is no established EU directive mandating us to do so?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Is there any chance you could post the initial response from the minister if you feel comfortable doing so? I too would like to know the answer to this question.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

No Anna. I think money and opportunity means you avoid the worst of social degradation.

Question. Do you have any sympathy for Ashling’s family and boyfriend? Do you have any sense of what they must be going through right now?

Precisely what do you get out of gravitating towards topics of this nature, bleating about racism? What good does it do anybody?

Post edited by Hamachi on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Good for you.

But it's also posters like you, who seemingly won't acknowledge any issues whatsoever with immigration, that are part of the problem. You, and others, dismiss, ignore, ridicule, label - for what? So that you can continue to espouse some ideology that you've been indoctrinated with? Or, more likely, benefited from..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭spakman

Exactly. The whole debate (nationally, not just on this forum) reflects the modern drift to binary views - you're either completely in favour or completely against.

There is very little room left for compromise or nuanced discussion.

I'm in favour of immigration, but with more controls with the threat of deportation.

The loudmouth on both sides don't like that type of position because it doesn't neatly fit into the "for" or "against" categories.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Ashling Murphy and Ryan Casey. Born in Ireland circa 1999. By the time both Ashling and Ryan would’ve sit their leaving. Things were bleak in this countries, jobs few and far between. Jobseeker’s Allowance was cut to force our own young people to emigrate. They both studied hard Ashling got a job as a teacher on a reduced wage compared to some of her colleagues. Ashling and presumably Ryan lived with their parents and despite their remarkable achievements with probably no real prospects of ever buying a house.

Jozef comes to Ireland and makes no contributions and is awarded Disability Allowance (whether he met the medical criteria is a topic for another discussion)

is house by Offaly county council in a 5 bedroom property.

Ryan pointing this out is racist?

Shame on our national broadcaster too to sensor his statement

There is a great point in here that needs to be reiterated. I too fear for Ashling’s partner and how this will impact him going forward. I really hope that he has access to help and psychological support to get past the hatred and rage he must be experiencing right now. Hopefully, he will somehow come to the realisation that the piece of dirt, who murdered his girlfriend, does not merit an emotion as strong as hate. Contempt at best.

Ashling’s mother’s victim impact statement was equally heartbreaking. The part where she mentioned that people say to her that she is coping very well, but all she feels is empty, scarcely existing day-to-day, was particularly devastating.

They are the true victims in all of this, along with poor Ashling herself of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RobbieV

We need immigration just like everywhere else. People to fill skills shortages, start buisnesses etc

We don't need people coming here who do not contribute and are also draining the countries resources.

School places, houses, welfare, health capacity etc.

It's simple really.

A prudent managing of resources.

Perhaps immigration policy should be left to a private accounting firm rather than the like OGorman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,897 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I have huge sympathy for Ashlings family, friends and boyfriend. Its disgusting that people are using her murder and her families heartbreak to promote and pursue hateful and bigoted agendas.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Is there no merit in a discussion on immigration policy?

Really? It certainly doesn’t seem that way. This is the first time you’ve mentioned them.

What people are using Ashling’s murder to promote their agenda? I asked another poster the same question yesterday, but they disappeared. To whom are you referring precisely?

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Facthunt

Irexit ?

No. Not when it's about abusing her memory and the grief of her family and loved ones to pursue a bigoted agenda

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

There you go again, dismiss and label. People can have genuine, legitimate concerns, bourne out of this despicable act, but not be "hateful" and "bigoted". But that's all you seem to see, question the narrative = racist!

In some ways I'd love to have a worldview and outlook as simplistic as yours.

How is debating immigration pursuing a ‘bigoted agenda’?

It’s one of the most pressing issues across the entire EU today..

The "concerns" are all about racial stereotyping and blaming of all crime/murder/rape on immigrants.

Terry Pratchet

Abusing Ashlings memory and her loved ones grief.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭Glebee

Because the other person does not like what they are hearing so it must be bigoted.

• Advertisement

I’ll ask you again. Who is doing that? Who are these nefarious people?

This isn't a "debate" - it's negative racial stereotyping.

Terry Pratchet

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Let's not forget who started to promote agendas immediately after Aisling's death.

The amount of bollo5ksology about men needing to be educated as if that was going to stop murders like this.

Some other idiot saying we should look at putting a curfew on men. And the likes of BoC who I thought would have more sense not questioning any of this bs.

In what way is it abusing the memory of Ashling Murphy or her family's grief?

Her boyfriend raised the topic in his victim impact statement so its obviously something he thinks warrants discussion.

It would be a greater abuse to shrug your shoulders and refuse to even discuss the topic.

Trying to shut down a discussion by calling people racists and bigots is not very democratic.

We've covered this already. The ones shouting then not all men are now shouting all immigrant men

Terry Pratchet

Brilliant. The lack of self-awareness (and critical thought for that matter) is on Fr.Ted levels of farcical.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RobbieV

If you simply just stop responding to it it will disappear. It's that easy

• Advertisement

You could probably say the opposite with the pile on here too

Terry Pratchet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement