Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 14th Annual Boards.ie White Christmas Thread (Christmas 2023)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

I'd say it'll be somewhere in the region of 5 or 6c in the North and 8 to 10c in the South on Christmas Day. Evening and Night could be icy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

Based on recent runs I have a sense that the next ECM will show very mild conditions for Christmas Day and will scale back those temps as the coming week progresses. It will show the cold missing us and impacting eastern Britain into the North Sea. I think the ECM is over egging the High and its ability to extend so far north against a sleuth of low pressure systems. Other models may also follow suit with a milder solution in the short-term. One thing that isn't in doubt is a fairly energised Jetstream. What side of it we ultimately end up on (if not directly underneath) will dictate our weather at the weekend and on Christmas Day.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

The silence is deafening 😰

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

They say no news is good news but when it comes to weather it is bad news!!

There may be no snow for the big day but at least it will feel seasonal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Would absolutely take seasonal right now, even more so given how mild / rotten / unseasonal the last week has been in Cork

• Advertisement
    Clare (410ft asl)

A rain to snow to rain to muck to hail to rain to ice event for Christmas Day night and St Stephen's morn. A colder GFS but it is a low res op run. We will see what the ENS say

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

Snow inland from early afternoon on the 25th onwards according to the latest GFS 06Z run.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Ok so I watched Joanne Donnelly very casually and almost gleefully rule out colder weather let alone snow on the half 6 weather forecast on RTÉ last night.

Then on BBC “Country File” the Met Office forecast was absolutely adamant that cooler air is due to descend on UK and Irl on Wed and quite cold for next weekend.

Then I see Irish Times article today saying it will be a mild Christmas.

Both cannot be right. Which is it??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

That’s Met Eireann lately for sure.

Joanne was one step away from saying “all you cold lovers - ha, hard luckkkk, sorrrryyyy about that”. Quite unprofessional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Will always remember this tweet of hers coming up to the Beast from the East in response to George Sunsnow/BB ❄️😂

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭pureza

Ah Joanna and I get on rightly since tbh,limited as our interactions are

There's a world of difference between being a forecaster where its your job and being a hopecaster

She'll probably be head of forecasting there soon enough,the experience is certainly on her side

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

If anything the main risk around Christmas and after could be Freezing rain and icy conditions which if anything is worse than snow for people travelling. Most certainly looks like we are going to be jumping in and out of cold and mild sectors between next weekend and the end of December. You could get a scenario were you get a band of rain running into colder conditions giving snowfall for some. The next 48 to 24 hours we should have a real idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭pureza

Speaking of hope casting, isn't this beautiful 😂

▶️ Watch this reel

https://www.facebook.com/share/r/9TJEgnrFwq5KdX8K/

Was that you driving around Arklow during late February 2018 with Joanne?

White Christmas anyone?

Poor output this morning. It looks like Joanna Donnelly wIll be right.

Another green Christmas, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

If I had something positive to post.....

Clare (410ft asl)

A technical White Christmas is still on. Chances are low but below readings make it a possibility.

My December forecast competition prediction of 'Yes' for a White Christmas in Ballyhaise 😶

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Advertisement
    Clare (410ft asl)

The gfs a tad cooler overall for the Christmas period. A colder sweep of air misses Ireland but strikes eastern Britain

GEM not dissimilar

www.x.com/wolfeeire

It night be a haily Christmas. Better than nowt.

OK, I think in terms of the white Christmas we were hoping for, it's going to be our 14th year in a row of disappointment. However, it is going to turn colder for the big day and in fact a technical white Christmas somewhere isn't out of the question. Here's MTC's forecast this morning...

"...CHRISTMAS DAY (Monday 25th) is dependent on actual duration of cold spell, but will likely be generally dry with rising temperatures, from a cold and possibly frosty start, towards 8 C by late afternoon into evening, as warm fronts approach. Then 26th (St Stephens Day) will likely be wet and windy with rain and highs around 10 C. This disturbance will take another day to pass (Wed 27th) before colder air returns for a day or two. An up and down temperature trend is foreseen for about a week spanning New Years...."

Hopefully we can still get a flake somewhere....

At odds with what Met Eireann are saying...

Monday (Christmas Day): Rather cloudy and wet to begin. Outbreaks of rain and drizzle will move over western counties at first with some sunny spells in the east. Later in the morning rain will move over southern counties, which may be heavy at times too. The westerly winds will be fresh at times and possibly strong along western counties. Highest temperatures of 7 to 10 degrees.

Ya chances of white Christmas seem remote now. It will be 8 or 9c at least in most places till Christmas evening and then 4 to 6c by Stephens morning 1 or 2c in some spots so maybe an odd icy patch then or hail shower somewhere.

Next year maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Fair play to ME on this one.

In fairness it doesn't take much balls to call mild! Gonna be right most of the time.

We should switch White with Shite in the thread title, will lead to a higher success rate 🤣 people hoping for snow when even 5-6 degrees is a pipedream these days. I'd wager we won't see a white Christmas in the south for decades if ever again.

From MTC this morning

"..

CHRISTMAS DAY will be partly cloudy with some pleasant sunny spells, a few passing showers over north and west could contain hail, but these will be rather brief and could just produce trace amounts further east (3-5 mm west), snow on a few mountain summits, afternoon highs will be in a range of 7 (n.w.) to 10 (s.e.). Winds west to northwest 40-70 km/hr but could be as strong as 60-90 km/hr in Ulster and north Connacht...."

OK, so who is volunteering to spend tomorrow on a mountain in Donegal or Mayo to see if there's a flake?

More seriously, re the ME comment. What we said was it was a bit strange to call it a mild Christmas 7 or 8 days out when the charts still showed potential. We also said that in Ireland, irrespective of what the charts showed 7 or 8 or 8 days out, you were highly likely to be right if you forecast that any given day in the whole year would be mild. But, our criticism is perhaps justified by the fact that tomorrow won't after all be mild, but it won't be white either.

As a disclaimer I should say I didn't see the forecast from Joanne Donnelly in question so if she is being misquoted I do apologise - I'm just going on what was said here

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

What would be hillarious if just for once the tabloids printed an apology for the fake news they reported on the weather. Whatever about the forum here which can be a bit of an echo chamber at times the average joe and Josephine on the street were in lots of cases raining about a white Christmas imminent because of what they read in the paper. When it doesn’t happen you see a load of snide remarks aimed at ME despite they being the one who never said it was happening in the first place. Gp figure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

It was fun while it lasted, see you all here for the 2024 White Christmas thread, and hopefully beforehand for some late winter/early spring snow.

Happy (mild) Christmas)! 🎄

Advertisement