Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭Trampas

Valencia Marathon yesterday 26240 finishers from around 32500 numbers issued. You get your number issued a few weeks in advance. So I presume you’ll have some people who never cancelled for some sort of refund. I wonder how many from Munich couldn’t make it due to the weather or other parts of Europe.

Just under 21000 males and 5500 females finished it.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 sledge144

Just got a mail, stil not allowed to run but I can run if I buy an expensive all in package.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Fawk Nin

Apologies I'm sure this has been touched on already, this is all new to me. Just want to make sure I have it straight.

I didn't get in through lottery. My understanding is:

There will be a window where official transfers can take place. If I get one I can race in my own name.

After this, my only way of racing is under someone else's name.

Is that correct? And is it difficult to get an official transfer or high likelihood?

Thanks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

No one really knows. We only have what happened this year to go off. For this years marathon, they allowed people to refund their entry up until a certain point. After this they put the refunded entries up for sale sometime in June. This was first come, first served and the window was open for about 2 weeks. They after this they allowed people to transfer their entry for a while as well (not sure how long).

There was people on here and the different strava groups (probably the DCM facebook group as well) looking for people to transfer their number to. Based on this years, if you really want to run it you will get an entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭left_hander

If they have a proper transfer window which allows transfers up to close to the event (and quite frankly I see no reason why they don't have one right up to a few weeks before it) then there will be no problem getting a transfer I would say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Fawk Nin

Thanks for the replies, appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,547 ✭✭✭billyhead

I missed out on the lottery too. So there's a good chance I will still get an entry under my own name like the previous poster but the key is to keep an eye on the site in June?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Keep an eye on this thread. Once entries open up again someone will mention it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭crisco10

Got approached by a charity involved with brain injury offering me a place. I usually abhor charity spots and the fundraising requirements, but am a bit tempted this time around given I have suffered a brain injury myself and even engaged with this specific charity during my recovery.

I still struggle asking others to pay for my hobby though, (and I can't afford to just pay the fundraising money by myself!)

Decisions...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,978 ✭✭✭✭event

Do it.

You are not asking others to pay for your hobby. And if you do, donate €120 yourself, thats the entry fee and let others make up the difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Runster

I'm trying to figure out how others are paying for your hobby?

You will be donating the collected money to charity.

The task of collecting for charity is tough, asking people to put their hand in their pocket is defo worth a place in the marathon. It takes time and effort.

No guilt needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Billy_the_Kid
    Master

No guilt needed. You should be proud you are raising money for charity. Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭left_hander

While it is laudable for somebody to run the marathon for charity, the problem is that I knew about 7-8 people who were running the marathon for different charities. I literally could not sponsor them all and some probably thought I was a right prick for not supporting them.

People get hit with a sponsorship card all the time. And if its not charities, its the local GAA or football club, or the mini marathon, or whatever.

My point is, people only have so much to give. I know nobody is forcing them but the problem is good friends do feel a certain obligation to support.

It isn't as simple as "Its for charity, do it" in my opinion. But that's just my opinion and I get others might feel different!

Yeah I'd never judge someone who doesn't donate, everyone has their own stuff.

But for the OP, I'm not sure how much you need to raise but even by starting a GoFundMe you'll get a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Runster

Yeah thats why I was saying its no easy feat doing it for charity. But GoFundMe is definitely the way to go and if you advertise in the right places you will get strangers donating if that particular charity means something personal to them.

I wonder when will we hear anything on the potential route change. IIRC they had said early 2024, but all depends what your definition of early is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Looking at the FAQs it seems the starting line and route will be the same for 2024 https://irishlifedublinmarathon.ie/frequently-asked-questions/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭nullObjects

I don't think those have been updated yet (bits of the site still mention 2023 too)

I asked on Twitter and was just told "An update will be posted in due course"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Tis as well they are moving the finish line. You'd hardly get anyone near the place with the amount of tents that will be there come October

Still no word from the organisers...

• Registered Users Posts: 36 MickMacca7757

Signed up for my 4th Dublin marathon this year. Struggling with the training so far. It has been stop and start. Been picking up every sort of dose the last few months so that's not helping with the training. Have a two year old and a new baby due in the summer so that will affect my training for a few weeks. Feel like pulling the plug but my wife is encouraging me to do it and not to use the excuse of the arrival of a new baby in the summer as a reason to pull out. Any tips on how to get back on track.

• Advertisement

When you say training, what are you doing now? And what has your running history been like? Whats your goal time?

Personally I think its way too early in the year to be doing specific marathon training, its 6 months away. Sign up to some 5ks and 10ks. Get a bit of fun in to the running, its a long auld slog until October. Have you any trails close by? Get out and run some of them. Or leave the watch behind on a run or two.

And look, the days have been dark, wet and cold since the start of the year. Its tough to get out in that.

Been doing 5k runs two or three times during the week and maybe 8-10k at the weekend since Christmas. I love to be out doing more. As you said it is probably a bit early to be worrying about a marathon when its not for another 6 months and your not the first person to say it. My previous 3 marathons have been between 4hrs 50mins and 4hr 30mins . Love to get under 4.30. I have loads of routes I could run from parks, coastal and trail runs so I am not short of options. I was thinking of running the Clontarf half in July and Tullamore half in August so that could be something to aim for before the marathon

Up the 10k to a 15k every 3rd or 4th week. And get on the trails. They will help your times massively.

Dont stress, loads of time

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭TheRef

For me, a plan and routine is critical and sticking to it more so. It doesn't have to be anything formal until you start your marathon block, just something that works for you. Agree with your wife well in advance the days that you go out, what distances you will go for. That makes it very predictable and fewer home worries. Decide when you will start marathon training. If it's around June/July, then you have a few months to get ready for that, knowing the distances you need to build up to. You will also have time to figure out if 4:30 is achievable considering where you are and what your plan is leading to Dublin. If you decide to go for Clontarf, great - you'll be up to 13miles which fits in with the start of many plans. Signing up will also give you motivation to get out there as you have something to aim for. If you decide against, then cool, still have a general plan though of how you will build up to the start of the training block, and in the meantime have fun. Don't stress it.

Just looking at the Hal Higdon Half Intermediate 1 Plan or the Boards Graduates plan, you could tailor to your needs.

I also read a good tip a while back - unless you are sick or injured, if you are due to go for a run on a particular day, always get to at least the front door. If you're going to the bother of getting changed and lacing up, you'll almost certainly go for the run.

Finally, as for the illness, well, a two year old will bring everything into the house. Occupational hazard. At least the weather is improving which should help.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Your wife sounds like a legend btw. Great to have that kind of support.

You will need marathon levels of fitness with a second nipper on the way 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Course announcement for half and full due within the next two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭Trampas

I’m expecting minimal changes and probably for the worse but they could surprise us all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Trevorfromtheshoppingcentre

I know it's probably an over asked question here but what are the chances of getting a ticket in July when the swap is available.
    I was reading this post and got inspired to try my first marathon with the Boards Graduate Plan. I will have to decide in May/Juune, if I start the Boards plan for Dublin or work with my own plan for PB in a half marathon in September.

Galway is an achievable time frame within the plan but doing loops of the prom seems a bit demoralising.

Thanks

Advertisement