Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,311 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I now it’s not in Ireland , but san Sebastian is in November, 4 weeks after Dublin. Having done it in the past I highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Tommy Max

its a load of BS. it has made an already flawed registration system into an even bigger disaster.

7k runners didn't not take part this year. of the 15.5k that did turn up, how many were the official registered person? its complete BS.

All its doing is annoying genuine runners who actually are prepared. People who let someone run under their name getting a guaranteed entry again this year??

why should anybody be guaranteed an entry because they ran a half marathon. male or female. its unacceptable. people that ran 1 half marathon in dublin get this privilege and then others who ran in far better half marathon events around the country and multiple half marathons at that get no offer.

then we go look at good for age. somebody who can a sub 3 but is not a club runner are also turned away. its fairly fucked up.

a race director who comments that he can't understand how so many registered runners didn't turn up. mother of God. its the most backward organisation

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭left_hander

There is no way those who didn't even cross the start line this year should be given an automatic entry to next year. Absolutely none.

I also don't mind women who did a 1/2 marathon being guaranteed, at least it shows they are a committed runner and if they want to increase participation rates then its a good idea.

I honestly also have no problem in principle with those who at least ran this year getting an entry for next year but I can also see the point that unless you are in a running club why should you be guaranteed an entry? Do any other marathons give such a guarantee?

To be frank though, I think all this hoopla will die down next year IF they put a decent transfer and refund system in place where bibs can change hands right up to a couple of weeks before.

In this scenario, almost everybody who wants an entry will get one. Because if those unused 6k numbers could have been given around (and god knows how many more were people running under an alias) to people who really wanted to run then there is no shortage and will be more than enough to go around.

I know one thing, with Irish people all you need to do is make something scarce so they feel like they've "won" something when they get it, and the process ideally creates monsters of men. So some people who are ecstatic about having got an entry and are telling Instagram of their excitement will be googling a training plan in 8 months time and then will start to realise how far 20-30-40km is! The injuries will then kick in and the transfers will come on stream. The novelty will wear off once the inspiration has to turn to perspiration.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,002 ✭✭✭✭event

I would agree with pretty much all of that.

One bit that I am not sure what you mean though

".....but I can also see the point that unless you are in a running club why should you be guaranteed an entry?"

Do you mean that if they are going to do guaranteed entry, it should only be to people in running clubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

It won't be hard for them to provide information based on finishers as a % of entries for the last two years sorted by

• Past participants
    • Club entries
    • Championship entries / GFA entries
    • Overseas tours entries
    • Charity entries

I'd have my assumptions that club entries that are passed quite a bit as club runners will end up targeting alternate races/cross country/have a busy summer and taper back or get injured, a miriad of reasons unattached runners or ballot runners won't usually have to consider given a tunnel vision towards this race in particular.

Past participants are like your season ticket holders, but I think it should be limited to people who crossed the start line on the day.

• Advertisement

Yeah that was what I meant. If you are in a running club, I feel you should have the option of entering. Encourages people to join clubs as well. Didn't explain it well and maybe others might have a different opinion in this regard!

I think it would end up with people just joining clubs for the sake of it. I would be one for instance, never been a part of a club as I just dont like the ones close to me.

But I can see the point and merit of it, its an interesting option

That is one potential upshot alright but would people really spend €100-120 to join a running club to get guaranteed entry? Not sure its that much of a "premium product"!

Its not like its the London marathon where I bet people would do it and I'd do it myself!

Oh is that how much it would be for a club? Yeah no one paying that extra. Well no one casual anyway

I'm sure outside Dublin it is cheaper but I know the ones around me are that sort of money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭sk8board

youd imagine that compiling a list of emails for guaranteed entry based on finishers rather than sign-ups would be really simple.

the only reason I can think of why they don’t do that is that it creates a 7,000 block of bibs to try to fill in the lottery, and let’s face it the main aim is to sell out - low attendance on the day is a side effect.

according to Ian O Riardan only 50% of the guaranteed entrants took up their place, that’s (presumably) 11,500, and there’s no data on how many of those were in the 7000 no-shows.

the no-shows may not be as big an issue as we think.

also, the places reserved for charity won’t all be taken up, not even close.

DSD AC seems to be making a killing from fees anyway, up to 4 times higher than some clubs down the country. And this is despite them having a cash cow in the Mini Marathon to fund their expensive site at the foot of the mountains.

Just looked up my local club in Louth. €100 for an adult.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I don't like the idea of giving club members guaranteed entry. The vast marjority of people can make great progress from just running the streets and using training plans/information they find online. A club may benefit them and they may improve quicker by being in one but it isn't neccessary for most. If you give club runners guaranteed entries then you reduce the amount of entries for every one else. If that happens enough, then the chances of getting an entry are much lower and people feel forced into joining a club just to do the marathon because otherwise they have no chance.

I don't know to be honest - I don't think most people view DCM as a "premium product" in the same way they'd view London or New York for example. I think people shrug their shoulders if they couldn't get a place in the DCM and say "meh".

Are a certain number of entries not held as it is for clubs though?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I think the reason for guaranteeing club member entry is because DCM is also the provincial and national marathon championship, which you have to be a club memeber to enter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Just to pick up on this point, clubs have varying pricing structures...having your own facility akin to DSD is a big benefit but also a big challenge to pay to maintain it and presumably repay whatever loans they have. Every club has their own challenges, for my own club for example we have to rent facilities to train for track and field that are pretty expensive so there is a weekly charge on top of a low price membership that does up add if you train every week. Some clubs down the country do offer much membership fees for adults for circa 40 euro but sometimes to train with the same clubs you'll often be paying your own competition entries. Competition entry fees per event at national competition are 15 euro each so costs are a real challenge for all clubs if you have competing athletes and facility costs. It really is a case by case basis on the circumstances the club operates in and I doubt many killings are being made.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,172 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'm one of those who will likely never join a running club but I can still see the logic behind guaranteed entry for club members. At least there is a rhyme and a reason behind the idea that has some merit, even if I would end up disadvantaged by it.

Unlike the current situation, which only has rhyme or reason if the reason is to increase revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Why should a sub-3 runner get a place at the expense of other, relatively faster runners?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Club runners do not have guaranteed entry and I have never hear any club runner expressing any view that that they should have priority.

Elite runners and club runners with competitive senior and masters age-graded times have more or less guaranteed entry to the national marathon championships - that is as it should be (although there is no rule that Dublin has to be the national championships).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I dont think so, i have not been banned in about 10 years. You sure its me you are talking about.

Looks like they can close a main street in the center of the city for 5 days when it suits them, but not for a day for an international sporting event.

Kildare Street closed for the last 5 days in order to protect our overlords

• Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

"A real runner has pooped outdoors at least once"

So true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭sk8board

This is what I thought too.

It doubles as the championship race for Dublin, Leinster and National, so club runners are ’entitled’ to entry.

however, I’ve never seen our club actually have to contact DCM for a bib for someone, there’s always loads of bibs floating about

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Was there some proposal to positively discriminate in favour of club members with regards to DCM entries?

no I think someone just said it would be a good idea

someone who actually turns up to run. not jumping on the bandwagon

• Advertisement

agree. no way should a club runner get priority and the bigger issue is why good for age is only accepted for club members.

Advertisement