Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matthew Perry (Chandler) has died

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Oh wow, this is deeply shocking and sad. There's a lot of people in their twenties and thirties like myself who grew up watching him. Friends is one of my all time favorite tv shows, will be difficult watching it in the same light now. Only 54, RIP Matthew Perry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Apparent drowning according to skynews ,I'm honestly lost for words he was such a great person and character on friends , for a laugh check out the friends bloopers some of the great ones are from Matthew 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭larchielads

Could i be anymore sadder!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭clampedusa

Damn. No-one told me life was gonna be this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭Be right back

Wow, that's awful. Hard one to wake up to. Huge Friends fan. Rip, Matthew aka Mr Bing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Whitney Houston and Delores O'Riordan also died in similar circumstances.

RIP.

Great comic actor. Fantastic delivery of his lines. Could do pathos also when needed.

"Friends" was a cultural phenomenon at the time just before internet and smartphones, so the day after an episode, everyone would talk about it.

It defined the 90s really.

It might be the last big sitcom before content became atomised.

It's a shame since I think he was involved in the addiction community and was giving back with his own experience. I think he started an addiction recovery center in a house somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,557 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

How sad are you on the scale?

☹️🙁😟😞😕😔

As soon as I signed onto Twitter and saw he was the #1 trend my heart sank.

Credit to him for getting sober and turning his life around and then using his experience to help others.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,143 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

How sober did he get?

He had the money and the influence to choose his own path. He did that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Oh. My. Gawd.

R.I.P.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,569 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Apparently he spent over 9 million dollars trying to get sober. Must have had some addiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,695 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I was never a big fan of the "friends" show. It was one of the most overrated shows of the 90s. Sure they could not even come up with a proper title for it and the amount of money the actors on this rubbish show got was just wrong but this is still sad. Still if he did not get paid silly money and had a normal everyday job he might still be alive.

R.I.P Mathew Perry

9 million ..... was he trying to get sober by taking as much coke as possible to distract himself?

Was the MV Matthew named in his honour?

It's sad to see the waste. But as I said above he lived his life the way he wanted to. I wouldn't do it, but maybe he had the right idea and not me. Still, I would be slow to laud him for his addictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

He has been sober for a couple of years.

Cause of death is reported as a cardiac arrest, while in his hot tub.

There's already a thread on this on "TV".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,244 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Ah he was very funny. Poor guy. Friends was iconic for the 90s. Funniest character on friends too.

RIP Ms Chanandler Bong

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

The man got addicted to prescribed heroin. Calm down on your judgement you sad little person.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,448 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Nobody is lauding him for his addictions, they're lauding him for doing his best to overcome them.

Post edited by Dial Hard on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭KaneToad

*Dolores

Dunno why but it irks me when her name is mispellt.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Was never a fan of Friends - a bit too OTT on the "stupid" comedy for me - but RIP to him.

I don't know enough about his off screen life to have an opinion on his addictions/recovery but fair play to him for trying to get sober anyway, regardless of how successful or not he ultimately may have been.

Although this thread should really be in AH or TV like most. Not really a CA?

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭PeaSea

Did noone ever tell you if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Friends was the most overrated show if all time, it created a follow the crowd mentality with its dry humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

"Although this thread should really be in AH or TV like most. Not really a CA?"

There is:

Though I hope none of the nastiness on this thread is merged with it.

Post edited by Ezeoul on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

He definitely did Cocaine but I'm not sure he was addicted. He also had alcohol problems.

He was definitely addicted to prescription opioids like vicodin and oxy. Those things are lethal. Basically heroin in pill form.

He definitely tried to help other addicts with recovery and should be lauded for that.

He was also a great comic actor. I've seen enough average ones to recognise a great one.

It's a shame. He's on record as saying he wanted to dedicate the rest of his life to helping others.

Apparently he was playing pickleball for 2 hours in the morning and then went for a soak in his hot tub.

It's a young age to go but similar age to Gerry Ryan.

All the pills and drugs and alcohol and smoking would've destroyed his heart.

Probably didn't look after his diet or exercise either.

Some people are more susceptible to addiction so deserve empathy.

Andrew Huberman says that 8% of people have a gene that are more sensitive to alcohol and it increases dopamine and they feel euphoric.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

A bit depressing alright that cultural icons from my 90's youth are starting to die off at an increasing rate.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

He did other stuff, Studio 60 is great. Also the whole 9 yards was good fun. Also apparently great in his brief role in The West Wing. Personally not a huge fan of friends but it's still iconic and a lot of people grew up with the character of Chandler.

It's a bit strange that people are so protective of anyone not being dishonestly positive in relation to some now deceased celebrity's drug use.

I made a quip about the MV Matthew (I had assumed nobody would think it was a actual serious question) and I got told off because another random poster knows for a fact that the deceased never took cocaine. Mental

The thread title could just as easily be "American with drug addictions dies young".

Come on and talk about what he did in his work etc. But if posters are going on about his drug use - and in a sympathetic or positive manner. What do they expect in response - "ah yeah, fair play to him for being mad for the ould drugs"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,695 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I never said anything bad or not nice so what are you on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭PeaSea

It was literally a rant about Friends, actors money and drug abuse. An RIP tagged on at the end doesn't make it any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I'm sympathetic towards people who have substance abuse problems, it's not an easy life in any sense. Perry developed the drug problem after a jet ski accident and was prescribed Vicodin. This as a story is pretty common in the US due to the opiate addiction crisis so yep I and others can see the tragedy of it. On top of that after recovery, he did tonnes of activism around addiction.

So he's far from a perfect but there's nothing wrong with having sympathy towards him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭Be right back

It wasn't a nice post but they didn't see that they had written anything not nice?... OK..

Advertisement