Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin airport new routes 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭wangchung

Great news. Pity the Irish Govt didnt tell them not to fly here before this announcement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Any plans for direct flights to Latin America, specifically Brazil?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Well discussed in the Aer Lingus thread -the consensus is "not a chance".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭dublin12367

Not a chance with aerlingus but didn’t they daa say they were talking with latam?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭jwm121

Probably ended since the cap is in place. The cap is ruining everything. EDI and MAN already incentivising airlines to choose them over Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭davebuck

The green party are doing their best to ensure these airlines overfly Dublin going forward, shame about the potential jobs that will not exist now both direct in Dublin airport and the wider tourist related industries... Talk about an own goal!!

There has been a lot of talk this weekend in the papers in relation to the cap. All top government seem to support it. I highly doubt we will be left waiting a long time for it to be overturned.

Everyday it's getting more and more popular, everyone is talking about this cap now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Qaanaaq

Do you mean the cap is getting more popular or the removal of the cap is gaining more popularity ?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭LimaRomeo990

I’d say the cap getting more popular is one thing because there’s lots posted about it on Twitter/X and the weird comments from people mentioning Shannon/Cork/Knock and the amount of spare capacity they have. People think transferring flight is a option as well to those airports which is complete nonsense.

I would say most people support the removal of the cap, the exceptions being the greens, the few residents, and the few that think keeping it will benefit the regional airports. None of these arguments stand up and are just personal agendas of a few, at a cost to many.

However, since the weekend and to date, there has been a major increase in reporting and debating this cap compared to recent weeks, much of it in support. Ryanair are currently having a back and forth with the greens on twitter and tensions are definitely rising to get this removed as quickly as possible.

The daa have suggested the possibility of introducing a temporary cap of 35 million pending full assessment of this infrastructure application. I would say that’s due to the bus access catering for 35 million which was announced Monday. This will probably be looked into if fingal approves the infrastructure application and it’s then appealed to ABP where a long delay will likely occur which will create the need for a temporary solution.

A temporary cap will give Dublin a grace period and allow it attract new routes and compete with its EU competitors in the short term and ensure Ireland does not lose out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Dublin airport should ignore the cap, let the market decide the demand and then shut the airport completely when the cap is reached - probably around late November/early December.

As a commercial (though State-owned) entity the DAA is surely obliged to trade and operate prudently, which presumably is why they are demonstrating efforts to comply with the current planning permission. If you are looking for further permissions, disregarding existing ones is probably not a wise course. While Government can and does transmit signals through the comments of various senior Ministers etc., it does not run or control the planning process. As is often stated, business always seeks certainty so that it can plan accordingly. Playing some sort of Russian Roulette as regards whether or not the airport would shut down after 11 months would be a foolish gambit on a whole range of fronts and if suggested would have to be considered in detail by the DAA Board amongst others. I could not see any such policy being approved by anyone who was actually responsible for making and standing over such a decision.

Ah yeah agreed, I was more talking in jest. You’d imagine someone in government is checking the monthly pax numbers to project the year end figure too so it would never happen.

is it confirmed transfer pax don’t count? Could they drive numbers that way?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

No new route is going to be 100% connections* nor would an increase in capacity on an existing route be 100% connections** either; so some headroom is required

We can assume there'll be a reduction in total passengers to LGW with EI gone; and whatever number to TLV might not just go via IST/AMS/etc instead (there will be traffic evaporation due to the situation over there anyway) but that doesn't give much to play with

*Well, Emerald DUB-ORK might be, probably the only way you wouldn't have protests would be if it was only sold as connections.

**I'm sure there's some Emerald route that has a huge % of connections that could be extended without adding too much to 'front door' passengers.

Egypt Air Turkish Airlines today expanded their routes to Manchester and Ryanair announcing new ones in Manchester but also in other cities. Shanghai is being announced sometime this week with China Eastern to Manchester as well. Can't help but think that some of this could have been in Dublin if it wasn't for the cap. Getting so frustrating now, wish something could be done but we just have to play the waiting game...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Imagine an airline agreeing to add new routes but then risk not flying at all during the busiest period of the year...

Life ain't always empty.

Ryanair had intended to base 4 extra aircraft, providing an extra 2m seats this year but can’t due to the cap. Whether or not they are stating this just to apply more pressure to get it removed or not, but 4 extra aircraft at dub wouldn’t have been surprising either. https://www.fm104.ie/news/fm104-news/ryanair-shelves-plans-for-2-million-extra-passengers-in-dublin/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭gossamerfabric

I was departing Treviso airport last week. I could see my plane in flight radar over the Alps. They started boarding at that stage and the passengers were basically held in a cattle crush for 30 minutes. I didn't present myself to board until the very last moment. Those paying for priority boarding had the worst experience as they would have been on their feet the longest.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,453 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The DAA should announce tomorrow they are closing the airport until further notice.

Within hours Eamon Ryan will be out and that cap will be gone.

Let's see Ciaran Cuffe and the rest of them come out then with their sh!te when constituents are banging down their doors.

We can not allow a fringe minority of lunatics hold the aviation industry in this country to ransom.

Why were Hainan parking at the 100 gates last year? WetJet also parked there and SWISS, SAS and LH would sometimes park there too. I'm guessing it's because the 300 gates are full. Bit embarrassing though for long hauls to come in and have to be serviced by stairs and into a pier that is already filled to the brim. I have no idea how that pier has/is going to handle the amount of passenger this summer especially with 787 and A330 loads.

Not just the aviation industry, it’s impact on tourism and business in general is huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Qaanaaq

Unfortunately this won't have much impact on the politics. They are not bothered about Ryanair extra flights. There needs to be a strategic route that has been lost to MAN to ramp up the pressure. Something like Singapore Airlines or EI moving long haul aircraft to Manchester

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭LimaRomeo990

Cant wait until the next election. This pack of clowns need out. Reminding me of the way the Aviation industry was treated during Covid.

And people accuse Eamon Ryan of being bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

I’m surprised they haven’t announced something along the lines of allowing as many flights as airlines want in summer and just closing down the airport for the last week or two of the year as the cap is hit.

Shutting down the airport over Christmas if it should hit the cap in the first or second week of December should serve to highlight how bonkers the idea of the cap is and allow necessary expansion in the summer.

”We’ve shut down the airport for the next two weeks to prevent excessive strain on the airport roads and public transport in line with our planing permission”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭bikeman1

While that may have the "bomb" effect, the DAA is a semi-state and must operate in a considered and proper manner. They should plan the numbers throughout the year. Ultimately, the cap is restricting numbers, you just can't "see" it over the 366 days this year.

Coincidently, the reason for this stupid cap is to manage traffic flows into the airport, yet the approval or not of a carpark is taking months and months to be approved or decided on. If this carpark (former Quickpark) was allowed to reopen, it would stop the need for thousands of cars to go near the airport to drop off as there is such limiting options during those peak days that the cap is trying to achieve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭trellheim

Assuming the cap remains what is the mechanism for enforcing it or even verifying it , does DAA get to tell all the airlines we have 38 million spaces to fill this year, or is it reporting ?

Or do the airlines bid for the slots

Advertisement