Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin airport new routes 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭jwm121

I've heard a lot of talk recently on how the cap will effect the economy and the report done by Aer Lingus, is there a chance it could be lifted now by the government or something? Surely they wouldn't be talking about is so much if it was just wait until the planning gets permission?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Government cannot overrule planning processes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

It's possible we may not even get more capacity in the car parks at the rate our planning authorities make decisions. In this case the competition regulator and I'm not even joking.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The government could introduce legislation to move planning for airports to a new process directly with An Board Pleanala or other authority, so that it skips the local authority. Like the process that exists for planning and development Railways (including Luas/Metro) called a Railway Order which skips local authorities and goes straight to ABP.

The government just did this a few months ago for offshore wind projects. Based on legislation introduced two years ago they set up a new authority called MARA, Maritime Area Regulatory Authority. MARA has full authority for planning of new offshore wind farms (and other sea related activities like foreshore licensing). No local authorities involved, no ABP involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

the government should simply remove some powers from planning authorities, like setting caps on airport figures, waste of time and outside the planning bodies remit in my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

That passenger cap is annoying. It'd be great to get some directs to Brazil, Japan, India, Thailand and South Africa, transferring in mainland europe for asia is a pain when you have to spend so much money booking a decent seat. Much smaller airports like Helsinki, Brussels and Lisbon seem to have a better range of destinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I doubt the passenger cap will have much if any impact on the provision of long haul services.

The cap wasn't hit until 2023 – so there would have been no problem inserting any of the destinations you highlight had an airline been willing.

Even today I'd guess if the likes of Japan Airlines or Singapore Airlines came calling, the daa would find a way.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

They probably feel like they have enough hubs covered in Europe which is why we should really have aer lingus providing connectivity to the far east and south america

• Registered Users Posts: 14,415 ✭✭✭✭cson

Have you considerd that the legacy effects of colonialism may the reason for the existence of many of those 'exotic' routes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I thought the cap was 40 million? 2023 was probably 34mln? So I thought (perhaps incorrectly) it wasn’t an issue yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Honestly, it remains a bit surprising to me that Aer Lingus doesn't send some of their long haul fleet to places other than North America.

The closure of the US to foreigners during COVID should have been a wake-up call indicating what happens when you have most/all eggs in one basket.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I do agree, but can also see the logic behind it.

They would be trying to squeeze into a market that is already familiar/prepared with transferring at a larger Euro hub.

Icelandair don't have routes very far to the East either. St.Petersburg is their furthest route East.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The cap is ~33m, the planning app is to go to 40

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭moonshy2022

For Aer Lingus its their strength, for everything else there is IAG.

Aside from that EI management are risk adverse so it doesn’t surprise me. Think of it another way, where to the east or south would they go that would make an impact. It would be the drop in the ocean, competing against already very well established carriers.

Where as going west they are already making an impact and are ticking off the big markets in the US and some of Canada, so when a customer looks at their route map they go “oh, I might use them for XXX next time”.

Plus their entire SH prime market network is designed to link in to their west bound LH network.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Suvarnabhumi

Singapore fly from Singapore - Manchester - Houston. Would we be likely to see a connection like that via Dublin. Something like Malaysian from Kuala Lumpur - Dublin - JFK or Thai from Bangkok - Dublin - Chicago?

In lots of cases yes but i dont think finland ever conquered china to be fair.

It seams all the new routes are to mid size us cities, like Denver is great and all but I think North america is well covered at this stage, we're missing connectivity with whole other continents

Iceland is a microstate in population terms smaller than Luxembourg, with 1 international airport with less than 20% of Dublin's passengers, I'd say we can aim a lil higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,559 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

That’s down to Finnair maximising the potential of Finland’s geographic location, offering a one stop option to long haul destinations through Helsinki in much the same way as Aer Lingus are doing with their Dublin hub for North America.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

I heard a rumour of a Dublin to Nashville direct flight starting, any truth in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Well...if every Irish Garth Brooks fan even used it once, it would be the busiest transatlantic route from Dublin....

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Eclectic Econometrics

What weighs heavier when these routes are planned, is it the amount of footfall coming in or increasing options for those going out?

It is 2024 and I still have to connect in London to go to the Caribbean. The Caribbean ffs. Not even one flight a week to Barbados. Denver and Minneapolis smells like catering for the incoming traffic.

Tell me if I am wrong. I am open to learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Anecdotally, I just haven't heard of The Caribbean as a mainstream or typical holiday destination for Irish people that would make it an obvious choice for direct flights. I work in a 500+ person multinational bank and there is always someone coming or going from holidays in other unserved direct flight destinations such as South East Asia or Vegas or even South Africa or South America. Rarely do I hear of the Carribean..maybe an occasional honeymoon. I think those other holiday destinations would be considered as possible routes first? As I said, this is just anecdotal evidence from a large cross range of good salaried white collar workers. It may or may not be indicative of more far flung Irish holiday trends in general but I think its a decent barometer of demand...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,415 ✭✭✭✭cson

A lot of you are looking at this with your green tinted glasses on in terms of simple O&D from Ireland.

• The likes of CLE, BDL and BNA, PIT (if they happen) are not targeting O&D Irish passengers. The plan here, I'm pretty certain, is tohave a model similar to PLAY/Icelandair shuttling pax between North America and Continental Europe.
    • The Carribean is mostly targeting UK leisure passengers where there is a relatively mature market of that being a beach destination for them - the success of the BGI flight ex MAN bears this out. DUB in this instance would essentially be performing as a 3rd LHR runway in a similar manner to how they've used LGW for leisure flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Eclectic Econometrics

When I go, I overnight in London as the flights leave the UK early. Coming back you land in the morning and connect straight away, so I am able to notice a few people that were on the same flight from the Caribbean as me.

Don't get wrong, you are probably correct in terms of demand. However, it is a bit chicken and egg. Without the flights there is no promotional activity. The Caribbean as a whole spends a lot. The individual countries, hotels, cruise lines etc.

What is strange, to me, is that Aer Lingus fly to Barbados from Manchester. If they set this plane down for an hour in Dublin it would save me a lot of hassle ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 FR738

Not sure about your first point, it’s no coincidence they fly to these places like BDL, CLE and the potential destinations we hear of like PIT BUF etc. All have sizable Irish American populations. Sure, it’s not the only reason but it would be a big factor for new route planning.

The new CLE flight during the summer had 90%+ loads, brilliant for a new route but it didn’t line up with many connecting flights as it didn’t land until 8am, of course you could connect to London or Paris for example but it would lead me to believe it was mostly O&D.

Dublin has direct connections to 40 countries, Manchester has 53, schipol has almost 100. Even if we had 2 more routes, 1 to SE Asia and 1 to Brazil I'd be happy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭jwm121

2023 figures released and Dublin served 31,908,471 passengers, seems underwhelming considering all the talk that went on plus the fact that Dublin is above 2019 levels, but I'm 90% sure that doesn't include transit passengers

Anyone know the figure including transit passengers?

I don't know if it's the cap causing Dublin's lower numbers but Lisbon, an airport with 1 runway and limited taxiway and terminal space served over 33 million, not sure if that includes transit passengers or not

The cap seriously needs to go anyway, hopefully this year before summer

Advertisement