Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin airport new routes 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭bikeman1

It is surprising that 4 airlines are still willing to battle it out. I think each of them brings something different to the table. Air Canada the higher paying traditional Canadian market. Air Transat good connections with other areas and a strong product. West Jet, slightly more low fare and Aer Lingus the Irish.

Huge amount of Irish living in Canada, concentrated in a much smaller area (Tornoto and Vancouver mainly), so you have family visits in both directions. Then Dublin is used by a huge number of Canadians heading to Europe for their holidays. I've come across loads in Europe the last number of years. Flying into Dublin gives you nearly every destination throughout Europe.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Flying into Dublin also has the perk of not having to double back anywhere (unless it's Kerry or Donegal that is).

As was said, huge amount of Irish in Toronto and Vancouver especially, and it only being 1 flight from Dublin or 1 with a short connection, many of them travel home frequently for whatever reason and have people coming to visit all the time.

It's the same heading to Sydney/Melbourne/Perth in the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭jwm121

Weren't Juneyao suppose to start services to Dublin in 2020? Nothing ever came of that or the talks that DAA were apparently in with Latam

Hainan were apparently wanting to up the Beijing service to 3 weekly for summer 24 but they don't even have it on sale

Cathay are operating 6 weekly at Manchester again next year and have opened some more routes so surprised that they have not come back here yet

I don't know how Dublin hasn't caught the attention of any big carriers in Asia like Air China, Japan Airlines, Eva Air, Thai, Korean, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

DUB was on the cusp of gaining major Asian expansion prior to 2020 but global events intervened.

CPA were highly profitable on DUB-HKG until the pro democracy marches and resultant crackdown by the authorities happened. PAX numbers plummeted and then COVID happened. The Chinese Authorities used facial recognition technology to ban participating CPA staff members from flying through Chinese airspace.

Cathay were operating to Hong Kong, and Hainan were operating Beijing and Shenzen. Hainan itself was profitable but the parent HNA group hit the skids and the airline was bailed out by Central Government. Juneyao were due to launch Shanghai in 2020 until COVID hit.

Singapore are the best bet going forward for sustainable service IMO. The only issue is they are a premium heavy carrier, IE you need big spenders to use them.

Post edited by HTCOne on

If CPA were to come back for 2024 would they be able to make the same profits again? Surely if it was extremely profitable it would be something they would be looking at again.

With travel demand high I'm surprised more airlines haven't started new Asian routes to Dublin, shouldn't HNA group be back in profits now so Hainan can continue expanding more at Dublin? Shanghai was also apparently a very popular destination from Dublin so surprised Juneyao didn't come back to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

According to Wikipedia Juneyao's long haul fleet is just six 787s (four more on order) so would Dublin really be that high up their priority list?

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Singapore or Cathay would make for some interesting competition with the Emirates/Qatar/Etihad lads for Australian connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭moonshy2022

It was meant to be an extension of their Helsinki route.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I recently bought a return to CPT. None of the long haul European airlines could come near to both Emirates or Qatar for price. Based on that I’m not sure if Singapore or CP would be a viable alternative to down under.

Hainan should bring back Shenzhen in 2024, CPA might return in 24/25 and more carriers are probably looking at Dublin.

• Advertisement

Dublin airport chief said recently that airlines have been turned away and that growth incentives have been removed, anyone know what airlines were turned away or suppose to increase capacity that have not done so?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Using EK/QR to get to CPT is several hours more in the air when compared against LHR/AMS/CDG.

Personally I'd rather avoid the detour via the Middle East and would pay a premium for that. I expect that's why the pricing is different.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭N64

Let's not forget that due to the Russian Ukraine war, non Chinese airlines aren't able to operate over Russian airspace, which means that the likes of Korean, Cathay and so have to take longer routes, which may make some routes uneconomical to operate due to more fuel needed. London - Seoul used to take 9 hours where as now, it takes 14 hours, roughly.

Was some talk from the Irish and Japanese government regarding direct flights before COVID hit. https://twitter.com/IEAmbJapan/status/1185371524338835457

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭x567

I made that choice recently and chose to avoid the €4k premium (BA over QR, in J). The timings were such that in Ireland to CPT terms it wasn't all that much longer; and QR are really pretty good, particularly relative to the inconsistent BA J hard product....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Noxegon

For a €4K difference that makes sense.

I just checked a random date window in February, in Economy class. QR was €965 and KLM was €998 – with a 3h35 difference in block time.

The QR product is better but even allowing for that I'd gladly pay €33 to spend three and a half hours less in an economy seat.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Looks like Ethiopian is planning a return to DUB as a passenger destination from ADD.

https://simpleflying.com/ethiopian-airlines-european-expansion-plans-revealed/

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭dublin12367

Wonder if it it will be a direct return route unlike the previous ADD-DUB-LAX. There was talk pre Covid of a ADD- MAN- DUB route wasn’t there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

I'd expect it to be tagged on to another European or UK route. ET already do this on a number of European services IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 briano1979

Will be nice to have Ethiopian Airlines back - flew with them to Addis Ababa a few years ago and they were pretty decent. Could their return potentially push Egyptair out? Does anyone know how the Cairo route is doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭dublin12367

Egypt air going back to 5 weekly (from 4 this summer) next summer so must be doing ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭user060916

I thought I heard rumours of Air India starting up a DEL flight, is there any chance of this is the near term?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭x567

Wouldn’t surprise me at all in the medium term as from what I’ve seen there seems to be quite a bit of connecting traffic India to DUB via LHR. The new Tata-owned Air India is hugely ambitious and as we know has placed a mega plane order; however I doubt they have the airframes available to prioritise DUB just yet? In due course I think they’ll be a big player in the aviation market and we’ll definitely see them on our shores…

Once the DAA get this cap increased, any chance they'll incentivise ET to bring their transit flights back to Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Qaanaaq

I doubt it. They operate on the night time period so they use up a lot of the night time movement cap allowances. each flight would both land and take off in that time frame, so a double count.

A regular transatlantic flight typically only clocks up one movement as the departure is during the daytime.

I think the night time movements noise quota might be part of the infrastructure application or should be put in as a different application around the same time so hopefully they will if they get that approved.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its still eating quota for comparatively low income compared to getting passenger charges for terminal use.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Qaanaaq

They may manage get the time period adjusted a bit, to an earlier cut-off in the morning, 6AM or 0630. but i think the night time quota will still remain. And each Ethiopian counted for two movements in that period.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

I thought the quota was put on hold subject to a pending appeal?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

And in the interim, the direct number cap is in place.

• Advertisement

Any chance we will see any new routes/routes for Dublin for next year again? If I had to take a I guess probably no because of the cap but any possibilities?

Advertisement