Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny And Gaelic Football

Options
  • 24-10-2023 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭

I guess it's only people who are close to the club scene in Kilkenny can answer this, but is it in anyway feasible to get a Kilkenny intercounty football team to compete in division four of the league and the Tailtean Cup? Likewise with the ladies is it realistic to hope that Kilkenny can organise a team to compete in the senior all Ireland women's football championship? Is that a realistic aspiration or is it pie in the sky sort of stuff?

There actually is a club in Kilkenny that plays just football only called Railyard. Kilkenny did win the Leinster senior football championship on three occasions in 1888 1900 and 1911. So Kilkenny have some sort of football history. They have more provincial titles in football than Waterford for example. They won the all Britain championship a few times recently, and a junior all Ireland football championship in 2022. I just think the next step now is try and get Kilkenny competing at division four/Tailtean Cup level.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

We lost the Junior All Ireland this year so that's the level we are at for now. Nothing much to be gained from going back to getting hammerings in Division 4 again.

Btw Railyard have the most KK SFC championships, followed by Glenmore, but in the last 7 years the championship has been totally dominated by Mullinavat. But it's still a bit stunted, teams withdraw and give walkovers constantly, when that's going on at senior level, you haven't much hope of building a county team out of it. You can't force more clubs to take it more seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I had posted this in the Camogie page re. the 2 associations messing up fixtures -

"GF is definitely a 2nd place to camogie , and maybe even third behind soccer at this stage .

theres 10 clubs (?) that play GF underage in Kilkenny, only one in the South , and Kilkenny City incorporates all the girls from the City whos clubs dont 'bother' with Gfootball.

8 clubs play minor, (using lots of U16s) and then after that theres no next step club wise -

5 clubs (2 in Muckalee!!) play Adult football ..

Theres as many 'walkovers' given as matches played.

They have underage GF teams in Leinster underage 'blitz' and these teams get routinely beaten out the gate by the likes of Kildare, Meathe , Offaly etc.

They restarted the 'senior' ladies team this year , and they also got beaten well in each game. Although they do have a Laois man in there for next season, so that might improve."

So Ladies Football deffo wont make any impact at any age level, and most likely mens wont either.

theres no appetite , or emphasis, placed on training never mind playing GF at mens junior level even.

There used to be, but not anymore.

Shur all the Cody-wannabes want the Junior B hurlers training 2-3 times a week , forget about that bogball shtuff boys !!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭verizon

There is barely a ball kicked in the county after Under 15s and there are lads around the county trying their best but they need help from Leinster/GAA because the help is not there from the CB. Football is a checkbox in their eyes for whatever minimum targets they need to meet. Even hurling is suffering now with so much time wasted all year and then cramming meaningless games into a small period before championship.

In regards the current county panel, there are some very good athletic players on it, but you're not going to beat teams that are training together and hard all year. All 4 teams seem evenly matched, but Kilkenny only do about 1.5months prep for it. So I'd slightly disagree that's the standard the team should be playing at as it could definitely be better if lads fully commit to an improvement plan to at least be competitive in Div4.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,486 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Because the GAA is volunteer organisation, not just 'at its heart'.....but almost in its entirety.....people in the media can talk all they want about how there should be this that and the other - we should do more to promote hurling in Ulster, we should do more to promote football in Kilkenny or Waterford or whatever....

If there isnt a load of parents coming out running matches and coaching kids from a young age on wet Saturday mornings and cold November evenings, then these things dont / wont happen. Simple as. Kilkenny is hurling and handball.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Coming from a football club in Kilkenny it is not in anyway feasible for Kilkenny to play Tailtean Cup football they would be way out of their dept and would receive some massive beatings. Football in Kilkenny in Kilkenny up to U13 is actually fairly ok the problem being after this from the ages of U15 to U20 there is basically no football for teams to play in, if they're lucky they might get 2/3 games a year if they are unlucky they might get 1! The split season has actually helped at adult level as the football is played in the first half of the year and it works fairly well with very little walkovers given and nearly all games played, I could be wrong but I think there was only 1 walkover given at adult level in the 2023 league/championships. The problem as I've said already is at underage and specifically between the ages of 14-19 where there's very few opportunities for young lads to play football. Railyard now play in the Carlow football leagues at U13, U15 and minor and I think Muckalee have also started to play at U13 and maybe U15 in Carlow. Another major obstacle to football in Kilkenny is the county board who are quite happy to put the bare minimum in to football and I'd say the potential cost of putting a team back in the league and the Tailtean cup would knock that on the head too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭1373

Never thought I'd be talking kilkenny football. As it happens, I got to play against kilkenny in senior football back in the ninetys. One of the kilkenny players that day went on to become a well known senior hurler , football obviously didn't do him any harm. When I hear people saying, what's the point or we'll only get big beatings, it has me asking why does anyone play football or hurling . I'm sure there's plenty of guys and girls who'd love to be part of a football setup, the training,the challenge, the fitness and how bloody great it is for their heads to go out playing. Is kilkenny that different to others I'm sure someone else will be able to answer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭randd1

To be honest, just like hurling in half the counties, I'm not sure the appetite for football is there in Kilkenny.

You'd have thought that with the split season, small competitions would have been tried in some counties to promote the smaller code. Play them off in January/February/March.

In Kilkenny for example, even if half the clubs committed, you could have three six team divisions, top two play divisional final. Six weeks, that's it, a full round of fixtures, and lads can play the sport competitively. The county championship could then be taken from that and be straight knockout later on in the year. Same for hurling in other counties.

The split season is there, if should be used.

I'm glad the comparison to football counties has been made here. I would like to see KK do better at football, but it's not a huge prioriy, for me or for people still living at home for the most part. We get a lot of grief over that fact, but when you look at the quality of hurling in some football counties (ones without a geographical area with a tradition of playing it properly), you would wonder. I've played on Junior D teams in Dublin that would beat the Cavan or Leitrim county teams, and in fact we had lads who were on those teams, and who were subs for the club team at the time. These county teams would be annihilated by some of the top club teams in the USA, let alone Ireland. But very rare to hear anyone criticize their county boards, instead it's all about how they should get funding and and equipment and professional GPOs and all this stuff to promote the game (which is fine), but when it's KK and football, it's just all evidence that we should be punished for our treatment of football. There's plenty more KK could be doing I suppose, but to me it's always been weird that people get hung up on ONE county not playing the more popular sport, but nearly nobody really giving a toss that about half the country does little more than pay lip service to the less popular one, the one that is supposed to be a protected, national treasure. Hence we have a thread about KK football, but nothing about the state of hurling in about ten counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

I still think your situation is unique, seeing that Kilkenny last competed in the senior football championship in 1982. I think if the will and the appetite was there, then Kilkenny could be competitive at division four level, but as the replies on this thread demonstrate that will or appetite just isn't there. Look at Waterford they could easily have given up on football, but they still keep the show on the road regardless. Hurling is a sport with much smaller playing numbers after all.

Galway are the only hurling county in Connacht and Antrim are the only hurling county in Ulster. It would be nice to see someone like Antrim or Laois win an all Ireland in hurling, but that still seems to be something that won't be happening anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

The will or the appetite is not there. Case closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Nedflanders02

The adult club side of things is working ok in Kilkenny. Last year there was 13 senior teams, 8 intermediate and 8 junior and out of all the games only one wasn't played. As you say the split season is actually helping adult club football in Kilkenny, the problem is the underage side where at U15 and U17 there are very little games played.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,419 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Every county fields a hurling team in the tiered All Ireland system and league system so no they are not the same as Kilkenny.

Kilkenny are the only non dual county in senior Irish GAA.

I did point out before that even Tipperary and Kerry have won senior all Irelands in their weaker codes of gaelic football and hurling respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,702 ✭✭✭kksaints

Pfft, we were the first ever Leinster Football Champions and we've more Leinster Football championships than Carlow, Westmeath, Longford and of course Wicklow which for so called football counties is embarrassing. We also probably should have won a football All-Ireland in 1900 but Tipp objected after we beat them in the semifinal and we refused to replay the match. Tipp then hammered Galway in the final.

But in modern times there quite simply isn't the demand for Gaelic Football in Kilkenny, soccer imo is Kilkenny's 2nd sport with some fairly successful Junior clubs albeit miles behind hurling. In fairness the split season has actually helped Gaelic Football with the county board able to run off the championship in the Spring and early summer well before the club hurling championship starts. We've had some reasonable club results in the Leinster football championship recently also but at intercounty level the gap between us and even the weakest Taitleann Cup side is sizable so we'd be destroyed by the stronger ones. Until a third tier championship is introduced in football I can't see us entering a senior intercounty team in the senior football championships, we might enter teams in the Minor Football Championships in the next few years but that's it I'd say.

Good post although Carlow, Westmeath, Longford and Wicklow still compete at league and championship level. Westmeath of course won the last Leinster football championship before the Dubs completely took over! Hopefully the GAA will introduce a tier three football championship at some stage. That's an interesting one about 1900. A fair few championships were decided like that in the very early years of the association.

Ya but that is way back. Kilkenny now and football counties now is not the same thing. Thats why we have the "Kilkenny and football" thread that you are upset about.

Tipp and Kerry are actually 2 pretty high up football and hurling counties respectively.

Who said anything about being upset mate? This is the GAA part of the board and i started a GAA related topic on it. Kilkenny are the only county in Ireland to pretty much abandon a code at senior intercounty level. I just asked a question was it feasible to get them competing at division four/Tailtean Cup level in gaelic football.

I agree with you about Tipp but not so much Kerry. Kerry did withdraw from the Munster senior hurling championship a few years ago, although they do fare out much better at their weaker code in comparison to Kilkenny in football.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭verizon

Nothing will be fixed overnight but there are clear steps being taken now and I'd bet those lads felt great wearing their county jersey.

Soccer probably is the second sport in the county and that is a blessing for those soccer clubs because they are reaping the rewards of talented lads that are basically shunned away from GAA in their teenage years as a consequence of not promoting Football and lads not interested/good enough at Hurling. In reality, clubs are missing out subs/registrations/funding because they can't offer girls and lads a competitive season.

Whatever the reason to introduce an U15 team again, I hope it's for the right reasons and we will see next year if there is a change at club level to promote the game a bit more.

Apologies I mistook you for the poster who said in a post above the one I replied to.

"Hence we have a thread about KK football"

Who seemed to be upset about Kilkenny getting "picked on" compared to football focused counties.

Oh yeah no worries that post was quite the rant alright!😁

• Advertisement

Great way to completely ignore the actual point of my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭jimmythesulk

The way our county board treats Gaelic football is a disgrace. Box ticking exercise is all it is to get money from croke park that is then spent on other things. Look at the under 15 team they started a few weeks ago. Who starts trials in October for a county team. Will play one match to get funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Unfortunately as long as the current juvenile county board remains in place nothing will change. On the one hand there is an effort at U15 to get football going again but on the other hand some U15 footballers will only get one club game all year and some clubs are not even allowed to participate in the competition as it is an Opt In competition where club secretaries were given 4 days to respond. They simply don't care about football and do nothing, absolutely nothing to promote it.

I would love to see it change because there is very little argument but that playing football will improve young lads at hurling as well. However, until there is a change in mindset at the top then nothing will change. Two simple things would make a big difference. First one is to remove this ridiculous Opt In idea and include all teams unless they specifically ask to be excluded. The second is to play football when pitches are dry, not in February and November. They could easily set aside time during the middle of the year for this if they were serious about promoting football.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭supernova5

ladies football,

Fermanagh 10-12 - Kilkenny 0-5

what the absolute f*ck

• Registered Users Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Teams have to start somewhere. Majority of them only picked up a big ball for the first time in the last few years.

These beatings will come for 5 years until the younger girls come up.

Fermanagh camogie team should have to play the kk women before anybody gets up on their high horse about that result. See how that goes for them. Then we can have a thread about hurling and camogie in fermanagh and see how much traction it gets.

At least they scored 5 pts...

Scored nothing against Carlow ??

The younger girls are also getting bet by more traditional football counties....

Kilkenny still going with the 40 players on a panel way of thinking ...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Genuinely the only way to progress is playing as many matches as possible. Kilkenny won’t be upset at losing. They’ll gather as much data as possible over the next couple of years to see where improvements can be made.

• Advertisement

Trying to keep players interested could be a problem ?

Who would like to go out and get beaten by 37 points at adult level !?!?!? ... and have to keep coming back for more of that every weekend!

A lot of them just play football until the club camogie starts ...

Advertisement