Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Woke Society? **Mod Warning In Post #435**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,064 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

But who says my opinion is wrong or bigoted?

It's my opinion that they are not wrong or bigoted.

Is it for you do decide that they are wrong or bigoted?

The poster I was replying to said

"It really isn't a great hardship to respect people's personal wishes and at least attempt to comply with something that is deeply important to them."

My opinions are deeply important to me.

But I don't think people like yourself would be that willing to comply with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭bmc58

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Can they not disagree with you? If so how are they complying with you?

You have written what you have written with no negative consequences so what is the complaint?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

We debate whether they are wrong or bigoted. You express an opinion, other people respond. It’s really that simple.

What you want is to say whatever you want and be safe from disagreement. I find that a bizarre thing to want.

Honestly I don’t care how “deeply important”your opinions are to you. You shouldn’t care about mine either. What I do expect is that you debate them respectfully and listen. That’s it. That’s all I want.

As for “people like” myself. What does that mean? Fat middle aged men? Everton supporters? Snooker and cycling enthusiasts? Parents? Pacifists?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

It's forced. I will never equate any pronouns to myself. I'm simply gameoverdude. That's all.

Does it harm us in anyway. No but yes. No issue using them for someone but won't be forced to use them for myself and if I don't there'll be a pile on.

• Advertisement

Please explain this. Catholic Church were the only kiddie fiddlers? Scumbags I have to say.

Express themselves? I presume you don't mean with kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Are you personally being forced to do this in real life or on social media platforms?

You talk about a dog pile against you but I see in boards that alot of posters agree with you. I don't think you should be that concerned if some people disagree with you online.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,064 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It's not so much you that I was posting about, more the poster who said it shouldn't be a great hardship to respect other opinions.

Opinions that are contrary to the "new norm" are not respected anymore.

Only this week Emily Blunt has to apologize for calling an overweight waitress she once had an encounter with "enormous" on a TV show 11 years ago.

In what sort of a world is that right?

Please explain what?

Expressing their own gender or sexual identity. What have kids got to do with it?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Shoog

If you don't try imposing them on others and you accept that some people will refuse to be your mate, then yes I'm fine with you having those personal opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,367 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Such an extension is better described as a cancerous growth on the body. Cut the sickness off before it spreads and destroys everything.

Stay Free

More hysteria. Me thinks you have an agenda going on.

Me thinks you're too emotionally invested in this topic to see through the BS you support.

Stay Free

No. I don't have to agree with any narrative and I don't care what people think aboutme.

Nearly every single thread on boards is the usual suspects saying the same thing and trying to quite discussion. Both sides.

Discussion is amazing and has opened my mind. I for one can hold my hands up and say I am wrong. Be the fonz. Be cool.

I literally have no skin in the game here, no personal interest in transgenderism. I just support common respect and decency.

A transgender person is just another person to me.

You may have miss worded your post.

Who expresses what? You mentioned paedophile.

Is everyone associated with the Catholic Church in Ireland one? This is coming from a person who would probably burn if setting foot in a church.

I dislike generalities or pile ons.

Women are not men and men are not women. Sex wise. Yes, I can understand being trapped in biological. I feel sad that they can't completely transform.

I'll of course respect their preferred gender tittle and treat them like everyone else.

What I won't do is treat them any differently or make up science.

Again, why should anyone respect your opinions if they don’t agree with them. If you don’t want to be disagreed with, shut up.

Im happy to be disagrees with.

And with the greatest respect to you, I don’t give a flying **** about what Emily Blunt said. But I’m sure the lady she called “enormous” wasn’t too happy with it. Calling someone enormous is being a gee bag, should she be free to insult people?

I’ve no idea the context for this Emily Blunt thing. I don’t really care either.

they/them/theirs

You’ve lost me. I was responding to someone conflating education about LGBT+ issues with pedophillia. I point out that the people doing this should go argue with the actual pedophile enablers.

they/them/theirs

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Cool story bro. Have I reached your level of refutation yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

You're going to have point that one out to me because I don't remember ever making a comment along those lines, I would say your original response to my post was baffling, perhaps you skimmed it and didn't read it properly, have another go and if you apologize for making up an absolute bare face lie that'd be great too.

Not yet. This has been a very pleasant interaction though. I hope that it hasn’t triggered you. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday. Please try not to further support any terrorists that murder and mutilate innocent Israeli civilians.

You nailed your colours to the mast when you tried to convince us that it's normal to use nonsense terms such as "child carrier", "person birther" or any other term to distract from normal words like, "woman" or "man". Any words that muddy the waters or which can cause confusion and which are encouraged by people are most definitely the same people with an agenda an skin in the game, whether or not they wish to acknowledge it.

To call a woman a birthing person is designed to force language onto the average person in order to satisfy an agenda. It doesn't belong in any formal or legal documentation and should be kept informal for the minority of people who want to play word games.

Stay Free

You carry on trying to pursuade yourself I am part of some grand agenda to subvert language. It's a bit laughable really.

Real reds under the bed territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

https://www.boards.ie/profile/973692/Facthunt

Are you following this thread still? Are you happy to know that you started this thread and now sit back smug in the knowledge that your "woke" issue has multiple non connected issues eg pedophile, transgender, breast feeding, male/female, and prob more are all being mixed into a "debate" that you started.

For sport as far as I can see.

Trolling at its best. Down right vindictive at worst.

Seems you can't refute what I have said, so you opt for deflection instead.

You accused another poster of not having actually read the NHS article. You haven't either, or at least you don't understand it. When an organisation makes a policy, the staff are expected to follow it. For fear of losing their jobs, the staff are effectively "forced" to use nonsense language in the name of inclusivity and at the expense of everyone else who knows it's all ridiculous BS. To add language reference terms into a policy document is an infringement on the employee having to adhere to the policy if it goes against their belief, science, or common sense.

It's really simple. A pregnant person using the maternity services is a woman. A man can't be pregnant and cannot be a woman, or a birthing person. Everyone knows this. A "biological partner" or a "chest feeder" could be a man or a woman and muddies the waters. Supporting the use of these terms in official policy is subvertive to normal, scientific an common language. I'd like to think you are intelligent enough to recognise that, no matter your ideology.

Do you think it's acceptable for a company to force new language terms on their employees? Let's say the employer changed their policy and were told to call anyone with short hair a "Dolphin" an anyone with long hair was to be called a "kangaroo". The policy change was to be introduced because a minority of locals self identified as Dolphins and Kangaroos with hair styles defining their preference.

Failing to follow company policy can lead to dismissal. Would you support this policy and if not, why not?

Stay Free

If you have aproblem with a post, report it. I'm sure the thread will soon be locked anyway, as any discussion of this nature is seen as an attack on transgenderism.

Stay Free

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Does adding pronouns harm you in some way?

Maybe mentally having to put up with this bullshit because some people want to feel part of this new wave of whatever its called when they really couldnt care one iota - Its juts the "in " thing to do these days ie adding your pronouns to your email signature, social media accounts - actually one person even introduced themselves to me with "Hi Im Mr Smith and my pronouns are xyz" - first thought that came to me was this lad is an absolute wanker. And the truth - he was an absolute wanker and nothing to do with his introduction really - it just didnt do him any favours.

The people Im talking about would be slightly racist, slightly sexist , slightly homophobic yet here they are adding their pro nouns to every correspondence you have with them so they "fit in". So yeah it is "bollox"

Does it help gender queer people fell free to express who they are?

Why is there a need for gender queer people to continually express themselves. I couldnt care less what you identify as - I just dont want it pushed in my face at every available opportunity. Live and let live and treat everyone the same is how I like to do things. My filter doesnt always work 100% and I may say something that offends someone buts its never personal.

Its like that old joke "How do you know if someones a vegetarian? Gender queer has become the new vegetarian.

So the net result is some people feel more included in society. -

If continually telling people their status makes them feel more included in society then we really have more serious issues. It actually screams to me of them being very uncomfortable with themselves and / or seeking attention.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I'll give you this. You've done your very best to try and trigger me. Sorry though too old in the tooth to take the bait with this kind of juvenile stuff. Now I know you kids love the last word so have at it.

• Advertisement

For a person (do you identify as a person? Maybe you’d prefer I refer to you as indeterminate spirit or the reincarnation of a chief on an ancient Zimbabwean tribe?), so keen to let others have the last word, you’re still posting.

I find your reference to teeth extremely offensive as I have had some serious dental problems in my life. I would prefer to be referred to as a dentured person rather than having a mouth that would turn your stomach.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement