Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Woke Society? **Mod Warning In Post #435**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭Shoog

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Facthunt

I regret even bringing up this topic as I now fear for my mental health 🙁

• Registered Users Posts: 15,073 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Interesting take, and I think you are dead right.

But what's different in Ireland right now is that the populists are left leaning, i.e SF.

So the people who think that there will be no anti establishment swing like Trump or Brexit because the National Party have no support are ignorant to the fact that the anti establishment swing will be towards SF.

It's a bit like 100 years ago when SF ousted the British.

At the time they were seen as an enigma, because they were so wedded to the Catholic church, they were in effect radical conservatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,355 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

This has all happened in the US, UK and mainland Europe, I would say we are quite behind the times compare to those, but we'll see what happens after the next election.

Is it happening though? I often see people predicting doom for their homeland and pointing to how it's happening elsewhere. I suspect it's not happening anywhere and they're just trying to drum up outrage. It reminds me of when US politicians were pointing out how large chunks of mainland Europe were now no-go areas for white Christians. Maybe I just don't mix in the right circles to notice this stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I generally find there to be a strong correlation between insufferable arseholes and people who use the term “woke”. Just sayin.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

You knew exactly what you were doing starting this thread. Well done you.

And as the poster above says= strong correlation between insufferable arseholes and people who use the term “woke"

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Kind of like shouting down anyone with a dissenting opinion to the group think you subscribe to as a fascist/transphobe/far right?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 OnTheCorner

I think this post is exactly why this thread exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,322 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

When I click into certain social media sites I think the world is full of hating the foreigners or people who thinks kids should be able to identify as a toaster.

In reality I find very people care once your not causing harm and your somewhat happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Apparently some folks believe your transphobe if your don't want to be in a relationship with a woman with a penis

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Facthunt

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I think people in tech are terrified to speak their minds lest they be cancelled and never be able to work again. And, these people and their companies are dictating the paths societies take.

Democracy is dead as people are unable to speak their minds without being cancelled or worse. People continually question what they can say or feel.

It's not really woke, just fear. There are people here who say x, y, and z and the opposite but would not dare issue the same statements on LinkedIn for example. Fear. Democracy is dead.

Paddy Cosgrave, like him or loathe him, shows what happens if you go against the party line. It's 1984.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Just having the healthy debate you wanted.

Leave me alone, that’s what most people want. To be left alone to live their life how they wish. Not to be criticised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Cosgrave was rock solid reliably woke on the issues until he made the mistake of criticising the one group you can’t say anything against in America, a pr1ck for sure but blackballing him for his recent comments is hardly a healthy situation?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Curses foiled again by the one two knockout of "cool story bro" and "if you support X then you are against y".

It’s a pain in the h0le that a small minority causing society having to evaluate each individual on what pronoun they want to be referred by cos we aren’t allowed use visual cues any more. Many languages don’t even have gender pronouns, what happens there? Personally I have great difficulty even recalling people’s names, never mind pronouns and I am highly likely to make mistakes, so I have to resort, when I’m doubt, to referring to individuals as “that person with the green hat blah blah blah…” which plainly amounts to adding totally unnecessary stress on account of the new found sensibilities of fashion of the very few.

There is another thread to discuss Cosgrave.

But we are pretty much a US state here. And a lot of the EU. It's the total incredible power of the big tech companies. Now, a lot of this is amazing, but a lot of it is destroying our society and we have no say in this.

I kind of think we've lost control of the future. It's random technical evolution now. The best algorithms will win regardless of what that means to society. The only goal is maximising profits.

The EU might introduce laws etc but they will be circumnavigated as money is power. And there will be people directly or indirectly and algorithms making sure this happens.

Everyone is out to get themselves as far up the ladder as possible, regardless of the consequences.

It's techno evolution. Woke is just random garbage that is advantageous at the moment in that system. Tomorrow they're will be some other band wagon for the hyper competitive to jump onto and **** their egos off to. 😁😁😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭Shoog

Just approach people with respect and openness, people are far more reasonable than some would give them credit for. It really isn't a great hardship to respect people's personal wishes and at least attempt to comply with something that is deeply important to them.

The reality is that most people will never have to deal with this as an issue and it will not impact them at all.

Someone is pushing people outrage buttons - and the last thing anyone needs at the moment is fabricated outrage.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

By the way I’m not saying that Google top brass are wrong to be pro Israel, I’m saying that an otherwise obnoxious pr1ck like Paddy Cosgrove shouldn’t see his gig cancelled for not being unconditionally pro Israel

Cosgrove was as woke reliable as they come in other ways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

One can't abide to all of the above without going all the way on it. I'm firmly on board with your statement but can't stand the idea of being 'woke'.

To me 'woke' means mostly making a big grand statement on where and who you are, waving the 'look how virtuous I am' flag in everyone's face. I can be against all of the above without letting everyone know every day. More importantly I can totally not call everyone racist, sexist, homophobic and the rest of it if they aren't flag waving the whole time. Never mind some of the more mental aspects of the super woke. Like calling people nazis because they think there are only 2 biological genders.

A lot of 'woke' is about self-aggrandising in my opinion. And I think it's a symptom of the social media generation who have to present themselves to everyone else all day every day.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

You clearly have no idea what the term “woke” originally meant.

Woke= tolerance for everything, except intolerance.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 15,073 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

What if I believe that biology determines whether a person is male or female?

What if I believe that the best household environment for raising children is one with a male and female parent/guardian?

What if I believe that being grossly overweight is unattractive ?

Can those personal opinions of mine be respected?

This is about the level of refutation I would expect. Have a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Well yes you have written it there and haven't been threadbanned or arrested. Some may disagree with you but that is all.

Does adding pronouns harm you in some way? No.

Does it help gender queer people fell free to express who they are? Yes.

so the net result is some people feel more included in society. What’s “bollox” about that ?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭bmc58

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

I'm constantly amazed with this kind of thing. Why are some people so obsessed with pedophiles? We have a real organisation in the country who spent decades hiding child sex abuse, go after them. Leave the people who just want to express themselves alone please.

they/them/theirs

Your opinions are highly correct, but you don't shout as loud as the 0.0000009% via the power of the Internet.

It's just random technology fueled ideas. Some will succeed, some will not. Being very unhealthy, changing your sex via surgery, starving yourself , etc ... are not good ideas ... It might be a good idea for 0.0000009 of a population. But that doesn't make it a good idea on average and should not be promoted or tax payer subsided as normal. That just makes a bad idea more popular. And technology makes it easy for influencers to spread bad ideas.

• Advertisement

Tolerated, yes. But why should they be respected? I don’t expect anyone to respect my views unless they’ve been thoroughly questioned and I have defended them.

What you want is to be left alone after you’ve said something, something a person might find offensive. That isn’t free speech. It also isn’t silencing you. It’s participating in a healthy debate.

Express your opinion all you want. But if it’s wrong or bigoted in some way, expect to be told so. You’re the one who wants to speak freely. Welcome the conversation. I do.

they/them/theirs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement