Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Andy Farrell get the adoration Jack Charlton got?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Rugby is the opposite of meritocratic: if you went to the right school the odds of you playing rugby for Ireland would increase exponentially. Even one poster is in here declaring that he isn’t posh even though he actually did play rugby in a posh school, in a real “let them eat cake” moment.

Compare rugby by any other major sport such as soccer, athletics, or boxing where it doesn’t matter which school you went to so.

There is no comparison, if you don’t go to a “good school” or come from a “rugby family” you won’t be a high-ranking rugby player. It’s a closed shop.

The fact that it has become so popular in Ireland is only because of the South Dublin Media Class who went to those “good schools,” control RTE, and dictate that rugby gets wall-to-wall coverage despite it’s utter lack of organic interest in the populace.

The Rugby World Cup is simply a grown up version of the School’s Cup where all of the best rugby players formerly from all the “best schools” come together to play a game only for the elites.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Alpac

Jesus the usual cranks come out on a thread like this.

Some absolute Irish exceptionalist dopes reside in this country, with such black and white thinking. Its such a shame rugby world cups bring them to the fore.

Apparently the majority of the country doesn't relate to Ryan or Sexton. What utter tripe.Sexton didn't grow up that wealthy. I know him personally. He's as relatable as anyone. Ironically POM would be wealthier.

Damien Duff is from Ballinteer. Went to De La Salle.

A few of the Dublin players went to private schools as well.

And I suppose Mary Lou isn't relatable given she's from Rathgar and went to private school?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I said most people don’t have a connection to rugby and I stand by that. Most haven’t even played the sport at any level to have any real connection.

The playing numbers are a testament to that. You can’t suggest rugby is on a par with soccer and GAA when so few actually bother to play the sport.

You’re a twisting my words again, I never said no body knew the game was on. What I implied was that from walking through my local large Galway town you wouldn’t know there was a big rugby game on later. There was no flags, there was no bunting, there was nothing of note to suggest a big national sporting event was taking place in a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Seamus4life

• Advertisement

Stop being needy.

You don't need to play to appreciate it. Go to a loi match so.

World cup will bring a country together.

I had to explain to Americans and German's what the he'll rugby was about. They loved it!

I'd watch tiddley winks if Ireland was playing.

I’m not being needy at all, just taking facts.

You’re right you don’t need to play a sport to appreciate but it does signal some form of grassroots engagement.

In reality feck all people play the sport here and yet we’re number one in the world. It doesn’t say much about the strength and depth of rugby globally.

That in itself shows how much greater an achievement Charltons was to get to a quarter final in a sport played by 100s of millions compared to anything the rugby lads have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Ireland team to play Italy had 11 players and Morris, McCarthy, Houghton, Sheedy, Townsend and Aldrigde all born outside of Ireland

How did you get to 74%?

You are not stating any facts. You are giving an opinion based on your own lack of knowledge on the topic.

Number playing rugby are up 35% in the last 20 years.

I suppose you discount the millions watching the games and the thousands using all sorts of transport to go to France, with and without tickets

That’s like ladies gaelic football for years saying it was the fastest growing sport in the country ignoring that the baseline was initially low.

Same for rugby, not difficult to grow the sport by 35% in 20 years when the playing base was so low to start in the first place.

As I mentioned earlier there are more GAA clubs in Cork than rugby clubs in the whole island.

I would hazard a guess there are more soccer clubs in Dublin than rugby clubs in the whole of Leinster.

Rugby has a long was to go before we can be say with a straight face that “this is rugby country”

• Advertisement

Alumni from certain posh secondary schools live in such a bubble that they genuinely believe the whole country goes gaga for their sport, when really it’s only big at the moment because Ireland are decent at it (due to lack of competition).

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭waywill1966

My boss being a big GAA head calls Rugby a minor proddy game 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Seamus4life

There were subs, do you not remember the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,103 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

you'd have a better chance with Irish people knowing half the rugby team than the soccer team.

But only now when the soccer team is at it's lowest ebb for decades, and the rugby team have been on sustained good run.

Any other time in that 20 years you talk about the soccer team would be more familiar to people, and probably still are if you ask me.

I think back to Ireland in Euro 2016, even though it was a million miles off Italia 90 level interest, it was still much more than the current RWC.

Not sure why you are talking about GAA clubs in Cork? it has zero relevance. GAA is the number 1 sport in Ireland.

Again not sure what relevance the number of soccer clubs in Dublin are either. You claimed to talk facts but it's just nonsense

In terms of numbers you said "feck all people play the sport" when in fact they do and it's growing.

You don't understand the ad campaign. Have a read of what the campaign means before making a comment about it. The main point of it below in bold.

‘This is Rugby Country’ draws on the bond of pride that unites rugby fans across the country, no matter where they are from and portrays the pride and character of both the fans and the players.

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2010/11/19/this-is-rugby-country/

No, they started. I won't mention Cascarino

So can you confirm the 74% please?

Ireland: Bonner, Morris, Staunton, McCarthy, Moran, McGrath, Houghton, Townsend, Aldridge (Sheridan), Sheedy, Quinn (Cascarino).

That may have been the advertising spiel promoted by Guinness and the IRFU but it was obvious they were trying to make out that everyone and their dog, even deepest rural Ireland, loved rugby.

If the GAA made the same campaign they’d have been laughed out of it for being too cringe.

I pointed to soccer and GAA because the whole thread is based on rugbys popularity and whether Farrell would get the same recognition as Charlton.

I’ve shown you that rugby is significantly a smaller sport means he wouldn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

I love the ire and bigoted contempt, that the sport manages to generate, in the banal minds of your average Irish Nazi. Always worth a nice bit of "bants" down the pub with a soccer fan or someone who is not a member of the GAA, but likes to argue, so has decided to take sides and throw a few at the posh rugby crowd.

To my understanding, the thread is supposed to be about how the current Andy Farrell will be received? He won't get a nod from me until he gets a semi at least.... and that's not because i smile at him with a wide eyed seduction.

Charlton was great and it should be noted he came over in the middle of the troubles and kept his Yorkshire head and achieved what was deemed impossible. 2 world cups and a european championships was A MAZE ZEEN.

Farrell has a great bunch of players, but he doesn't have the human charisma that Charlton oooozed. Drinking 2 pints the night before beating the chunts in Stuttgart was a masterstroke. i am not sure what Farrell has up his sleeve, but so far Plan A is working.

But he is no Charlton.... or a Mick Doyle.

You misunderstood the campaign and that is on you.

Rugby is still the 3/4th sport in Ireland. Number playing would be GAA first and soccer second. You could even make a claim that horse racing is above it as well if you wanted. But it's growing and an excellent sport for kids.

Still doesn't have any relevance to the discussion that if Ireland won a World Cup would Farrell get adoration.

You claimed nobody knows the players names which is totally incorrect.

Wait till you see next year when the men and womens 7s are in the Olympics. It will get more and more people playing the sport. Especially in the womens when you see stars like Vikki Wall moving to the sport.

Feck all? Give me numbers.

Edit: drinking pints. That's your idea of charisma? How about losing your millions on gambling and fecking around?

Mick Doyle was cool, but I wouldn't ask him any advice.

• Advertisement

That may have been the advertising spiel promoted by Guinness and the IRFU but it was obvious they were trying to make out that everyone and their dog, even deepest rural Ireland, loved rugby.

All of the posh, privately educated “morketing” agents who have graduated from UCD in the past twenty years must have felt like all their birthdays came at once as Ireland rugby came into the prominence in the world stage (relatively speaking, bear in mind nobody plays rugby bar a small minority of rich people in a few countries), just when they were dying out for a bandwagon to hitch their ride to.

What’s even better is that it was their own sport, giving them plenty of opportunities to go see “Drico,” “ROG,” and Johnny for themselves.

They must have been absolutely squealing in ecstasy when they realised, particularly knowing that they wouldn’t have to rub elbows with those oik soccer supporters or, god forbid, those muck savages “down the country.”

I think this post says more about your own insecurities than anything to do with rugby.

Four proud provinces.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,051 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

My nephew, who's a big soccer supporter and wouldn't know a rugby ball if it hit him in the head saw Bundee in a shop in Galway. Freaked out.

The idea that an Irish international star was there in front of him, in a shop in Galway totally was beyond comprehension.

He never has and probably never will see an Irish soccer international walking around Galway.

I pointed out that the Connacht and among them Irish players can be seen on the Prom regularly enough.

Soccer is obviously the bigger sport here. But the connection between the rugby players and the fans is more visceral simply because they're here, all the time, in the real world, living alongside the fans that support them.

Aside all that. Jesus lads. An Irish team are flying high with a shot of a world title. Why wouldn't ye support that, regardless of what sport it is

We cheer on track athletes, swimmers, show jumpers, gymnasts, rowers and God knows what else. Hardly mainstream sports.

They wear the green. We stand behind them. End of.

Four proud provinces and players happy to play for the British “and Irish” Lions when the King comes calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,051 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

no wonder you miss the 90's. Your attitude is straight out of that decade.

I was using florid language but yeah it’s obvious that this whole “Ireland is rugby mad” stuff in the past 20 years is a media invention, by an RTE establishment controlled by the South County Dublin elites and bandwagoning advertisers (made up of the same demographic incidentally).

The Lions tour has nothing to do with the “King”

I suggest you do a little research

• Advertisement

The British “and Irish” Lions are a best of Britain team, despite what their rebranding tells you. How could an Irish player ever play for a team representing Britain, it’s absurd.

Advertisement