Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Thanks for this. I'll just a buy a bigger 5L bottle and fill up my own reusable bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Genghis

Other strategies to consider:

Get a sodastream. Make sparkling water and soft drinks from 5l bottle or tap.

Buy in glass where you can (e.g. beer)

Buy in bulk in NI for other items, continue to recycle at home. (Also buy in bulk before Feb, there will be discounts).

I plan to completely avoid this scheme for as long as I can by doing the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,297 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 14,362 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Some interesting strategies there.

It remains to be seen exactly how this will affect consumer habits but I think it definitely will bring change.

I also think you are on the money about pre February discounts.

I can see a few bargains emerging in the craft beer sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,828 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Well, it definitely doesn't appear to be made to benefit the consumer nor the environment, just to line more peoples pockets because they know most people won't be arsed bringing stuff back. Just another tax on people who already recycle because other people can't. My future is looking healthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭TokTik

There was a nurse from Dublin on Joe Duffy recently who left an AirTag in his recycling. It tracked to………Poolbeg incinerator.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

They dont have a choice. They must give you cash. The machine will give you a receipt but the store must give you cash if you ask for it.

The logo and barcode work together. Companies can choose to use the same barcode on a bottle of beer in the uK as they do in Ireland...BUT they pay over twice the producer fee to put that product on the market. Every producer is paying a fee to cover the cost of the scheme, that fee comes in the form of a per unit charge. if a producer has a Ireland only barcode (likely on high volume items) they pay x, if they have a barcode useable in other markets, including for example NI, they pay 2.5x (ish).

You are right that fraud is the issue, but you are wrong to minimise the risk. similar schemes have run into significant financial problems by not mitigating that risk. The risk wont go away post brexit because the UK scheme (post brexit) will not fully allign with ROI.

Also the idea of a 5c deposit wont work as it generally leads to low return rates. The deposit has to be large enough to make it worth while returning. We're about mid-range on deposit levels around the world.

I’ll be black binning everything now. No point walking half an hour to the shop like a hobo with a bag of cans/bottles for less than a fiver. I’ll use the green bin to catch water to do the garden.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

• Advertisement

No, just a standard charge for black bin. Green and Brown bins have weight charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,362 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You'll literally be throwing money away.

Ironically a "hobo" picking up a few cans will be doing a better recycling job than you.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭AmpMan

I thought it was common knowledge that green waste is recycled into electricity ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Surely this ill thought out scheme is also going to lead to a significant reduction of choice for consumers? I'm partial to the odd imported craft beer - are some, say, American, brewery going to go to the hassle and expense of engaging with this scheme for the sake of a pallet of beer a year.....or are they just going to stop selling here?

Thankfully I can afford it. €6 to carry, for example, a slab of 24 empty cans back to a shop, queue to enter them one by one into a machine, then queue up to get my €6 back??

Would anyone be arsed?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I was hoping they'd bring this in for glass, instead they bring it in for the stuff I can recycle at home already. With a separate infrastructure form glass recycling.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 13,310 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Some would, some wouldn't. For me it's a no-brainer to do so, but I can totally accept others won't bother.

I suppose another way of looking at it would be if your local off-license is currently selling those 24 cans at €46 and Dunnes is selling them for €40. And Dunnes is 500 metres further away. Do you walk that extra 500 metres x 2 to save €6. Not everyone would. Personally it was embedded into me by parents at an early stage of life not to throw money away needlessly through laziness (the joys of shopping with a mother who would send you from Capel St to Talbot St to save 2p on a sliced pan, fun days)

Some will probably stop, but not too many. If the margin is big enough as it is on a lot of imported beers a sticker solution is available for small batches. Its gonna fall on the distributors to decide whether its worth their while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭jacool

Look at Irish streets currently. Compare them with German streets.

Every evening my wife can pick up 10-20 plastic bottles just in our estate, near 2 schools. This will be better for the environment.

In Germany people tend to have crates that they buy beer, soft drinks, etc. in and as they empty the bottles they just refill the crate and bring that back when they are shopping again. It works. Sadly, looks like the Irish disregard for the environment is out to the fore here. I like the way that people are immediately looking at reasons why it might not work, instead of accepting that we are 25 years behind in a lot of places.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,102 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

We were ahead of most places with kerbside recycling of the products, but apparently that was all a charade.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

What ever works in Ireland that works properly in other countries?

Someone is going to make a fortune from this, and it won’t be the Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,297 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Adding seperate wheelie bins for plastic bottles and one for cans would have been a much better idea than deposit return. Additionally more space will need to be taken up in your home to store the bottles and cans in pristine condition than if you had 2 more bins.

Thanks. Meant to ask alright if there was stickers or something.

I've heard before that Ireland actually has very good 'downstairs' recycling rates - i.e. kitchen etc, which would include plastic bottles and cans. I don't believe that many people are actually putting plastics and cans into the general waste at home - why would you, when most folks are on pay by weight? Anyone I know has a separate recycling bin in home and outside and this scheme is just a solution in search of a problem. Point accepted re bottles being discarded around the place - but is this not symptomatic of Ireland's tolerance of low level antisocial behaviour, and an indication that maybe we should enforce our littering laws, which don't seem to be in effective force at all? As I said before, it tells a lot that the Scottish Greens - who are swivel eyed loons compared to our lot, and who had a similar scheme as a platform policy - have binned their scheme as unworkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭MoonMotorway

I am just after hearing of the new recycling system that will be coming into the country in the new year.

I can't believe what I am hearing. It's sounds absolutely ridiculous and just seems like a measure to penalise people who already recycle in their bins.

People will be charged extra at the tills and then you need to bring your recyclable trash back to the shop, to get a token or slight cash back on the recyclables.

What is the goal and the aim of this? Is it to encourage people to recycle more.

This is ridiculous for people who do recycle using their bins and it seems as if its measure to penalise people.

I don't own a car and I live in a rural area and I rely on buses to get me from A to B. I mainly shop online for groceries because it's convenient to order online and get them delivered. So I am hardly ever in grocery shops any more. Realistically I am not going to save my trash when I recycle anyways just to carry them on a bus and bring them to the closest recycle centre outside a shop. Then what happens if the machine is broke when you get to the shop?

There has to be some sort of an opt out option available at the tills in shops for people who already recycle at home in their bins.

What is the purpose now of continuing with the recycling bin when the new system is going to penalise you if you don't recycle at the shops?

I have never heard of anything so f*cking ridiculous before in my life.

If I wasn't so busy for the next few more weeks I would be making an appointment with my local policitian to get this changed. Hopefully in the new year I will still feel strongly about it and get onto my local representative. There has to be an opt out option at the tills. Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,802 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Irish people are generally speaking quite lazy and will shirk any responsibility to do the right thing if it costs them time and money. It would be better if rubbish collection was built into taxes so people wouldn't have any reason to drive out with bin bags and dump them on the side of the road somewhere.

This recycling will only be taken up by the responsible people, if it's too much hassle Irish people in the main won't be arsed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Scottish system was binned due to Westminster interference alone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The kind of people to avail of this scheme are a subset of people who already recycle cans in their recycling bin.

There will be next to no increase in actual recycling rates from this, but a big ol tax collected against those who continue to recycle using their bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭creedp

Agree just another burden placed on people who have already being doing their bit recycling using green bin and bringing excess including glass to recycling centres. Now same people will be financially penalised unless they bring a small subset of that recycling to another location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The cynic in me thinks its actually a way to curb consumption. People who arent in a position to bring back their cans and bottles to shop may simply not buy at all.

Advertisement