Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Rather difficult for an ordinary citizens to be aware \ establish that the machine is out of order for 48 hours in a row.

So who is going to report or direct the cashiers to accept manual returns.

Dealz machines seem to be permanently out of order from following this thread for example.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Seeing as the legislation says the shop must refund customers immediately in the manner agreed between them and re-turn, should this part of the agreement be published or displayed on the wall like other important documents the shop needs to display to be in compliance with the law? Pointless legislation to have if there's no way to check what the agreement is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Couple of points. No stop button on the machine I use. If a can/bottle is rejected in the time it takes you to look at that the can/bottle to see what the problem is a receipt is printed.

Secondly if the item that isn't accepted by the machine is an own brand then the shop I bought it from is giving me back my deposit or I'm going to be a nuisance until they do. The principle isn't 15cents its the bl00dy system.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,492 ✭✭✭✭elperello

We discussed this earlier in the thread and I thought the idea of presenting recyclables at the checkout was ruled out.

The main issue is hygiene.

Customers are checking out food items, some unwrapped and the cashier is handling them.

Is it acceptable for the cashier to also handle recyclables?

Well, I didn't say anything about checkouts. But I'm not sure how is it significantly less hygienic than checking out food items at the moment with the rest of the shopping?

How are shops handling manual returns at the moment?

• Advertisement

I thought it was about checkouts because that's where the cashiers are.

In the likes of Aldi and Lidl the checkout is the only interface between staff and customer.

The shop and it's stock are covered by hygiene regulations but who knows where recyclables have been stored or transported?

I've never seen a manual return set up.

At the Aldi and Lidl checkouts I've seen customers returning items for refunds, with same unknowns your query as to how they were stored or transported. So if there's hygiene regs, they are already falling foul of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

whoa, gets dumped in same skip, loose ?surely that entirely negates the whole point of this scheme of presenting clean sorted recyclables

Indeed and I've done so myself.

With larger items the cashier will direct the customer to leave it in a corner and call floor staff to take it away.

With smaller stuff they will put it under the desk.

The hygiene regulations apply to how goods are handled and stored on the premises.

For instance you wouldn't store firelighters beside heads of cabbage.

We have had several accounts here about bags of cans in boots of cars and in sheds. People have also mentioned items like cigarette butts being left in cans.

We are even encouraged by Re-turn to pick up recyclables from roadsides and ditches.

I remain unconvinced that it's a good idea to be presenting recyclables at a checkout.

I didn't actually say they should be returned at the checkout, you brought up specific stores which don't seem to have a good setup for returns fullstop. The returned item could have been in boot of a car with who knows what else, they are handling it and leaving it under the till.

I believe stores should be forced to accept manual returns if the machine is out of order, not for 48 hours, but at all and is not in the process of being remedied. How they deal with it bearing in mind any hygiene regs is then their problem to solve.

If shops accepting manual returns can deal with them, then so can ALDI and LIDL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,692 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Jesus, can you imagine the absolute nightmare of being stuck behind a whole bunch of people whilst some poor assistant manually inspects bags of bottles or cans.

They could install manual return stations, but there isn't a hope in hell they will man this appropriately, so just more standing around for everyone.

The large retailers obviously didn't factor in the absolute time sink these machines are for staff, they only saw the benefits of guaranteed forced footfall with vouchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SharkMX

What planet is this guy on

https://www.thejournal.ie/deposit-return-scheme-embraced-by-public-ossian-smyth-climate-committee-6367840-Apr2024/

It never ceases to amaze me how politicians can lie right into your face even though they know you know that they are lying as it comes out of their mouths.

McEntee is another who is an ultimate master of this behavior.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭Archeron

So during the apparent public consultation, what did they actually discuss? Are they really saying nobody raised any of the many, many issues highlighted on this thread? They've been highlighted here since day one, but we're supposed to believe that a new company whose sole purpose is to run this didnt think of these questions?

And in the meantime, they continue to take money from our pockets and appear to be answerable to nobody.

One of the biggest scams I've seen with millions of euro being siphoned from the public. Its beyond farcical now, its just plain theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,850 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Sounds to me like the participating shops have to accept manual returns, directly from the rescam wesbite. Twice I've had to go to customer service in Tesco with my empties, both times they sent someone to fix the machine. I hate this scam so much. I will refuse to leave the shop until either the machine or staff take them.

https://re-turn.ie/#howToReturn

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

He is being very brave, seeing what happened to his party colleague and to McEntee. Some lads will be round to his house when they read this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SharkMX

The only people I actually know who are happy with this scheme are the few posters in this thread and the few people interviewed on TV who think its just wonderful.

EVERYBODY else I have spoken to about it hates it and thinks its a scam.

If we got an army made up of the people who hate it and think its a scam and an army of people who like it and lined them up at the Boyne for a battle, it would be a fcuking massacre. Id say you would have hundreds of thousands if not millions on one side and maybe 50 on the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭bluedex

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

We have stored up another 70 million containers as weapons for this upcoming war. Your side would stand no chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Yesterday I went to Tesco in Kildare Town. 2 or the 3 machines were out of order and there was a Q of about 10 people so I just left it.

Ironically they closed the WEEE return facility on that very site a while back as well. Not very helpful.

Hopefully such a measure i.e. having to take manual returns would give them extra incentive to have the machines operational… to avoid the above nightmares \ hassle scenarios as much as possible.

• Advertisement

So just for the same of moving on the discussion would it be fair to say we agree that no cashier handling people's shopping should be handling recyclables ?

This would mean a separate employee on Re-turn duty in a segregated indoor area.

I suppose you could have one of the floor staff/stackers diverted to the task as soon as a machine goes down.

Of course the knock on from that would be the rest of the staff trying to pick up the extra work.

It's all very well saying "it's their problem" but when costs rise as sure as night follows day prices go up also and it becomes our problem.

The recyclables will be sorted and baled at the depot.

No I don't necessarily agree, LIDL and ALDI are handling all sorts of returns at the cashier desk at the moment.

How are shops handling manual returns doing it? I think until we have clearer picture of that and the regs around it, not going to make any progress discussing the exact process.

The main reason to have a rule that they have to accept manual returns if machine out of order is to ensure they keep the actual RVM operational. The hassle \ responsibility should be on them, not the consumer trying to return the items.

At the moment it is our problem, and people are losing out on deposits because of it, or time \ hassle. So our "costs" have already risen.

If cost is the main concern scrap the bloody scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,929 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Its being embraced insofar anybody buying cans or bottles that has the logo has to pay the deposit. Are they all being recycled, no, not currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Somebody, somewhere, is making money ripping people off.

Mostly the lads filling the cans with alcohol. Heineken bosses paying themselves multi million salaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

So what's the advantage over the recycling bin

This from re-turn website

. The separate collection of these plastic bottles and cans guarantees a high-quality recyclate material is returned and recycled and there is no cross-contamination. The introduction of Deposit Return is a proven method of increasing recycling rates, with great success in a number of other European countries.

You just said it needs to be sorted at the return centre so what's the point of this again

OK we will have to agree to disagree on that issue.

The day I am in a shop and someone puts their bottles and cans on the counter and I see the cashier who is about to check out my items handling them I will exit stage left.

As I said earlier I've never seen manual return working.

I know shops have put prices up and they'll do it again if we introduce added costs to them.

The bit you quoted pretty much covers the reason they think DRS is better than recycling bin.

Of course the cans and plastic bottles always had to be separated from the rest of the stuff in the recycling bin.

Now they just have two to separate and they go to different purchasers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Sconsey

It's all very well saying "it's their problem" but when costs rise as
    sure as night follows day prices go up also and it becomes our problem

The feckers already put up the prices 😕

Advertisement