Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users Posts: 28,334 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It tries to find the barcode on the bottle but this process seems glitchy to me. Seems like it misses it sometimes which is why the same item can fail first time then be read ok.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Machines I’ve used don’t seem to have a way of reading the barcode if it’s placed on the bottom. So only about 320 degrees of coverage. Rotate it and it’s fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Someone mentioned before here that those machines are still being trialled abroad, so not a good idea to start with them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,334 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It's worth trying out different positions for the barcode when placing the bottle if it has been rejected first time.

I think different machines have different glitches \ blind spots when it comes to successfully reading it.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭BobMc

I feel a bulk option is a must for this too work, machines grand for a handful of bottles/cans etc maybe at your local store, couple bottles from the car etc. when heading in for the paper etc. but we need a bulk return option, tried my 1st return of big plastic box we've decided to use on friday, local dunnes with 3 machines, 1 not working, big enough Q about 6 people ahead of me, 2nd machine then went down as full, must be some pain for staff at dunnes, 1 member of staff had to go check machine, she then had to go get whomever looks after machine, he arrived with a large empty orange wheelie bin type container to swop out for the full one, which I guess Dunnes now have to store till collection, how many containers does the store have and what happens when they are all full, I saw the container swop over after coming out of store, was in there maybe 15 mins, my recycling returned to the car as I couldnt wait with that many ahead of me

• Registered Users Posts: 39,677 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

https://www.dutchnews.nl/2024/04/deposits-on-plastic-bottles-may-rise-to-50-cents-next-year-fd/

Industry is supposed to ensure 90% of drinks bottles are recycled but the figure remains around 70%. One of the main complaints is the lack of places where bottles and cans can be handed in

So the main problem in Holland is lack of bins, the solution to this is double the deposit so they can pay the fines for not achieving targets.

It really is the perfect scam.

It's brilliant really.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,552 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

According to this article, there are fines of €5000 for breach of Return regulations.

"“On June 1, it’s actually illegal to sell a drink which doesn’t have a Re-turn logo,” Mr Smyth said. “The people in charge of enforcing that are the local authorities. It will be their job to go into the shops, looking on the shelves and seeing if there’s anything with no logo on.” Breaches are an offence under waste management law and risk a fine of up to €5,000."

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/deposit-return-scheme-reliability-not-good-enough-minister-admits-as-our-survey-reveals-extent-of-issues/a1832644804.html

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭bog master

• Registered Users Posts: 39,677 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Literally none of that will happen.

They can't or won't even do the simple jobs they are tasked with, the idea that someone from the county council will be rummaging through shelves to find logo less bottles and cans is farcical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭jj880

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Had my first actual negative experience with the scheme over the weekend; having to queue as one, then two machine went out of order due to being full. Then having to wait for staff to come out to empty them.

Capacity of the machine's seems to be a common issue, and is surely a problem that going to get worse as uptake increases.

Feel sorry for the staff having to deal with this.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Daith

and the capacity is probably made worse by people storing up bagfuls on the cans and returning them. Which is what the scheme pretty much wants you to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭Xander10

Agree 100%.

Drove to 4 locations at the weekend. All order of service.

Who do I claim my petrol costs back from?

Boot full of plastic bottles instead of my normal green bin

• Registered Users Posts: 10,552 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I just left the shop with machines out of service, feck them I says and dropped in somewhere else on way back.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I struggled last week in my local Tesco to get the tiny Fruit Shoot bottles to go into the machine, as because they are so light, as soon as the conveyor starts rolling, it immediately makes the bottle tip over onto its end and the machine says that the bottle is crushed up…

I had another in Lidl yesterday where the machine only took in 4 of the 5 Lidl water bottles we tried to return… kept saying it couldn't read the barcode..

I was all for this system here in Ireland having had positive experiences of using it abroad, but as expected, it's become an utter sh1tshow….

• Registered Users Posts: 14,459 ✭✭✭✭elperello

That's it.

There will be a few visits just to show willing.

It's only to do with the stock and won't address any other concerns.

Personally I'd have no problem buying the old stock as long as they don't charge the deposit.

I'd love to see one of them installed at the local civic amenity site

You could just drive up to the machine and work away

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭bog master

Sorry, that is to sensible!!!!! But Repack did mention it correspondence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

The retailer is definitely liable, however whoever sold it to the retailer would also be liable for a different issue if they are based in Ireland. If it is imported in by the retailer then its just them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,364 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Went past Dealz again today, not yet seen their machine working. Its always got an out of order sign on it.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,760 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

7-10 mins, and multiple receipts. You'd think the machine would have a finish button, or a timer counting down for next item, or it will finish and print receipt.

8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1…….

• Registered Users Posts: 6,364 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Thats a real pain just for the 12 out of 15 I got into the machine I had 4 receipts.

Wake me up when it's all over.

The only downside I could think of is that you have to trust that the machine will correctly sort your containers and pay the right amount.

Once they are in the chute there won't be any second go.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭vafankillar

few people have said here shops have to take manual returns? where are they getting that information?

the citizens ie part about it seems purposely vague

"If a shop does not have a RVM but they sell containers with the Re-turn logo, the shop may allow you to manually return containers in store, unless they have a take back exemption,"

it's either "may" or "unless". have both doesnt' make sense.

the machine we got in last week in work is an absolute shambles. constantly having to mess with it for customers and barely know what i'm doing tbh. we got little information & i dont have confidence they'll come out and fix it. we also have no way to manually return anything, so no matter what anyone demands it's not an option in our system.

can understand why places are have probably been simply putting up out of order signs. we're already understaffed & dont have time to be going back & forth to this stupid fuckin machine all day for the sake of usually 15-90 cent

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Escapees

The timeout on some machines where a deposit return coupon gets automatically printed is annoying and has caught me out once or twice. Also had an interesting experience one time at a Tesco machine where I split a return load into two as a bit of insurance in case the machine suddenly went out of order at some point. So I printed the deposit return coupon half way through as planned and then printed a second coupon at the end, but... the machine swallowed the first coupon when it printed the second one! I couldn't believe it, but luckily I found a staff member who was able to open it up and retrieve not just my lost voucher but several others too! Not sure if it was a malfunction or a deliberate design feature of the machine...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I wonder how many thousands of euros have sucked back by the machines and people just said f*ck it, not gonna waste anymore time to get someone to give me the money back

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭con747

I think you mean millions between the receipt issues and the rejection issues. As Arthur Daley would say "a nice little earner Terry".

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭jos22

The machine separates plastic and can into 2 bins, so the plastic bin need to emptied 3 times daily here. the can one stinks from all the beer cans. the logic behind this I do not know as both bins get dumped into the same skip for collection.

They have being issues where the machine times out and fails to print a the Receipt, typically when the user didn't press finish on the screen. the store has option to login to machine and reprint the Receipt, tends to store the last 7 days worth of transactions in its memory.

The only time the machine has gone out of order when one of the school kids threw a bread roll into the back of one and locked of the safety lock. people have being jamming random item in the back of them in other stores too.

The machine also can lock out when people put their hands too far into the machine

The stores are not required to take any items back manually. They was an option for the first few weeks, that machine gave issue, that store could opt to manually refund up to certain fee back to a customer, and then apply to DRS company for a refund, but I believe this grace period has now ended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭Tow

I was told by the person fixings the machines in a Tesco that if they are out of order for more than 48 hours, the cashiers have to accept the returns.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Advertisement