Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where have all the workers gone?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

It's really simple, to be a teacher here you have to have some Irish, so we can import Nurses and Doctors but we can't import teachers. Lots have qualified and look at how unfairly they paid compared to older teachers, they don't have secure work so they've all gone traveling. Can't blame them really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

It's a sh1t life too working from home at your parents place

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Ireland/Dublin are fairly nice places to live as most of us know and many surveys of quality of life agree, but the value for money is just poor. I moved to London which of course is as or more expensive than dublin, but frankly I did because I get to live in a world class city now while rent is same as what I'd pay in Dublin for a comparatively much less rich and fun lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭pcardin

Not if he's in Tallaght, Ballymun, or any place in Dublin that starts with 'Clo..'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

People have been saying this for the past 18 months, and still nothing. The wish for something apocalyptic also baffles me, do you think a housing crash or recession will stop people leaving, or make things more affordable for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Jimmy from Sao Paulo would be fairly happy in Clontarf I'd expect

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Anyone would be happy there, you pay for what you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

London is a major city and has many options available to it, beyond those which Dublin can offer.

But London has its downsides. Air quality can be really poor and you are always in an urban area. There is also a lot of "chainification" in London.

So many pubs are owned by Green King or Fullers and sell the same boring fayre. So many restaurants & shops are chains in the UK also. It kills the variety to an extent.

One of Dublins great advantages is that it is coastal. It has the sea, beaches, harbours, mountains and countryside within its limits.

That swings it for me overall vs London. And the pace of life here is a little slower.

But everyone has their own priorities & London is a great place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

From what I’ve seen with my own eye’s and own experiences in different sector’s usually boils down to these

crap pay

crap hours

crap management

crap conditions or not worth the hassle

unsafe condition’s

Fix those then people might be happy to make a career out of something again.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Who would want to be a Garda? No money could pay me to take the crap they put up with.

Can do anything with the scrotes, arrest criminals only to watch them walk free, too much paperwork. Never-ending abuse from the public for doing nothing, whilst being videoed for twitter. Nope. No thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

I guess in some Ivory Tower Quarters it is a relative term - back in the real world it is the reason why the Banks only lend an amount directly related to one's (or mostly couples now-a-days) income levels. Casting our collective minds back to the mid 2000s when that rule was relaxed/abandoned many of us can recall how all that ended in tears. But ho hey, some get their kicks and rocks off by over-inflating the property market and playing 'the game' while the vast majority are innocent by-standers who will eventually be called upon to pay for the downfall of it all in time to come - yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

The amount a bank lends is based on the borrower's income, not the "relative" value of the property, though that is a factor in the case of a loan default.

My point that you may think a home is overvalued by 100k but someone else may pay 20k over asking. The house is worth what people pay for it. Perhaps it's overvalued in a normal, functional housing market, but Ireland hasn't had one of those in 5 years maybe, and who knows when we'll get back to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭hymenelectra

Observable phenomena, that the more migrants there are, the greater the shortage of labour.

Contradictory at first thought, but entirely sensible. Entirely sensible because it is an economic model that is dumber than a bag of rocks.

And more and more musings from the likes of the ILO and OECD to the tune of "actually this model of migrant labour may be stupendously stupid". They'll get there eventually.

Skilled Irish people leaving due to costs of overpopulation, skilled Irish people unable to move to employment dueto the social and financial immobility due to overpopulation. And so.

God's speed to anyone who looks back on the last period of time and mass migration into the country, the resultant INCREASE in labour shortage, yet still opines about getting even more migrants in to the country. Bless 'em.

Further to the point of migrant led economics,

"What may begin as a temporary shortage of trained native workers can be made more permanent by attempting a quick fix from migrant labour. Importing migrants into a sector whose employers are complaining of insufficient trained natives will EXACERBATE (rather than alleviate) its native shortage."

Hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of extra people later, yet the labour shortages are worse than ever.

There's your explanation.

Similar to the mythological "we need 'em to fix the housing crisis", "we need em to fix the healthcare crisis", "we need em to to fill this and that".

And yet all those things, hundreds of thousands of people later, are worse than ever.

Mythology.

Commenting is all messed up

Advertisement