Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where have all the workers gone?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,017 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Nearly 4000 schools included in the 6bn. It absolute and utter drivel to be ranting on about NGOs. The 6bn goes to scout groups, GAA clubs, churches, golf clubs, community centres, athletics clubs, churches, mental health services, disability services, older people's services, bowls clubs, after school clubs, music societies, addiction services, schools, colleges, homeless services, women's refuges, animal welfare, arts centres, health promotion, cancer services, housing associations, community first responders, soccer clubs, tidy towns, boxing clubs, archery clubs, rugby clubs, boat clubs, dog park, family resource centres, tennis clubs, heritage centres, playschool, theatre groups, carers support groups, youth clubs.....

And many others

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Many people don't know HOW difficult it is to return. Just finding a place is almost impossible unless you buy it outright. .Then you have to contend with stuff that is almost impossible... getting school places (really difficult ) getting a GP (really difficult), the car insurance that rips you off on top of the usual finding a job.

And as mentioned earlier the pay isn't great in Ireland for many who go back. it's ok at most but it's not an incentive to go back, taxes take a big chunk too.

Nothing but part of the 6bn referenced goes to Hopitals and Schools so it's nonsensical to be suggesting giving 6bn to NGOs means you can't pay nurses and teachers when a lot of teachers and nurses are paid within the 6bn.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Terry Pratchet

Delusional stuff.Ireland is the best country in Europe for what exactly? IT jobs only in US Multinationls...maybe..but IT professionals can get paid well anywhere.

You seem to not understand pay levels in the US and Australia. mid level managers in the US easily get 2x Ireland with less taxes. Salaries in Ireland aren't as high as you think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Blarney_man

Spoke to a friend in Canada, healthcare is so good that they go across the border for MRI and pay privately. No waiting lists, no need to have referral, just rock up with a letter from your doctor what’s needed, MRI done in an hour, 10-12 months waiting list in Canada

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

So they have nothing to do with it but you then say there is...got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Easy credit and financial jiggery pokery has screwed over the working class, there's money for everything except for the things that actually matter.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭babyducklings1

Yes think there is already and maybe going to be ( into the future ) young people living with their parents. Cost of college accommodation for example if students can commute it would be cheaper to live at home. And yes if people want to get a deposit together for a house. It’s definitely hard for the young know and they know it as well. Much more clued in about it , I’d say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭HBC08

As someone who came back (from Asia) after a decade some of those things you just have to suck up.

Car insurance for instance is fairly explanatory as to how the NCB works (its still a rip off)

Its not that difficult to find a doctor (admittedly more difficult than it should be)

Once you have all this set up though and then you see the sh1t going on and who/what your taxes go to support it really grates.

Bottom line,it ain't easy to move home.If you do be prepared to have trouble getting set up,pay through your hole and bit your lip about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭HBC08

As someone who came back (from Asia) after a decade some of those things you just have to suck up.

Car insurance for instance is fairly explanatory as to how the NCB works (its still a rip off)

Its not that difficult to find a doctor (admittedly more difficult than it should be)

Once you have all this set up though and then you see the sh1t going on and who/what your taxes go to support it really grates.

Bottom line,it ain't easy to move home.If you do be prepared to have trouble getting set up,pay through your hole and bit your lip about it.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Nothing to do with aging population - there are just far more attractive career prospects now in Tech/Pharma/Consultancy.

That combined with other jobs (gardai, doctors/nurses, teachers) not having their wages keep up with cost of living means that people here just arent choosing it anymore.

Go to college, do IT or biomed, get a well paying job for a US MNC. Thats the career path now if you want to live in Ireland. Anything else and youll likely emigrate instead

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Terrier2023

Teachers & garda are no longer desired professions. Society has lost respect for authority and to be honest as a qualified teacher who doesnt teach modern kids are badly behaved spoilt and its not worth my effot to try and form them . For too long they have used teachers as baby sitters for their out of control undisciplined brats ! These brats go onto harass the gardai and no one needs that shite in their lives. Parent these days all want ot be their kids best friends instead of teaching them manners and boundaries, I wouldnt teach for triple the salary !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Lots of valid points there. Yes rent is too high and housing is out of a lot of peoples reach but I assume this is the same in a lot of countries. In Australia the cost of housing is crazy also.

The problems that we are seeing are not going to go away. And it really makes me wonder what is going to happen with our public services and the workers who are working in them? Or are there any politicians who are willing to tackle any of these issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

To be fair, coming out with that hackneyed tripe, the children are probably better off with you out of the profession.

You seem to not understand pay levels in the US and Australia. mid level managers in the US easily get 2x Ireland with less taxes.

2 words

Health insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Where are they going? Rent is crazy everywhere these days. I have a friend who is an a and e consultant in Melbourne and can't afford to buy his own place. Nowadays Irish people leave for a while but most come back, I did this as did loads of folks I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Almost everyone that I know who left and went abroad during the last recession has come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

That's my experience.

We have a two tiered economy now, funded by MNCs, where anyone with an STEM degree is being headhunted like crazy and is having money thrown at them.

Anyone with a non-STEM degree is dealing with a cost of living crisis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

• Registered Users Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Cleaning up because there's so few left.

I'll guarantee that very few tradesmen have children following in their footsteps.

They're telling their children to get into engineering and get a nice cushy desk job, and not have tomorrow about working themselv

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Stoned_Rosie

I find the confidence in which people blame shortage of workers on emigration etc kinda funny.

We've always had emigration. In fact we have net inward migration of irish people now.

The reality is we've had 10+ years of low interest rates and economies across the world as hot as ****. Consumers are spending like mad. Everyone has loads of money which drives demand for workers and production. We have record deposits in irish banks. People play the poormouth while loads of folks out there are rolling in cash.

Everyone has a choice of something better now. What needs to happen to get rid of this shortage of workers everywhere is demand drops, companies cut staff in big numbers and people become damn glad to have a job again. Then we'll have people happy to get a good job as a bus driver with good benefits, whereas now they have better options rolling in money in construction or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭amacca

There's more than a grain of truth in it tbh

The level of fuckwittery you have to deal with now is quite something to behold....there's a much higher percentage of total pricks with no cop on out there and that's before you get to the scumbags getting everything for free that couldn't give two continentals

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Untrue.

People with a STEM degree and a load of experience.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

People can't to afford to rent or live here, housing costs are too high, along with the cost of living. It's beginning to bite in a way that damages our society.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Okay. Look at the rents in Sydney/ ny for a house.

I know Dublin is a lot smaller and has to be taken into consideration but this isn't just an Irish thing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Of course, other things need to be factored in, but it's just what I am hearing from people, even from recruitment agencies... and that was a few years ago. Something is very out of kilter with the housing market in this country, and has been growing over the last few years.

Australia and Ireland aren't the only places in the world. would love to know how many Irish leave to cheaper places sucha s UK now. Anyway the number of Irish coming and going balances out right now, the major factor is who is coming and going.

In addition people may come back to Ireland but avoid coming back to Dublin due the housing and cost of lviing issues.1

Due to extremely rapid population increases We need to increase the number of doctors, nurses, teachers at the same time that many are not choosing to pursue these professions in Dublin.

main issues are just one issue..housing housing and housing.

• Advertisement

Apart from the fact that you basically have to BUY a house because there's no rentals when moving back to the capital....

its extremely difficult to find a GP and school places in the Dublin area. We still have no GP. Family in Dublin also have huge trouble accessing their long term GP. Telling people to suck it up is bullshit, with no GP it's very difficult for my family to get proper and urgent health services.

School places...same...very very difficult...very disruptive.

Telling people to just suck it up or "bite yer lip', go feck off with that bollocks. And it's gotten worse and worse.

Advertisement