Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where have all the workers gone?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

In so much as it annoys people to say this, heading to Oz, Canada, US, Dubai etc is a lifestyle choice.

Many of these are home birds who will miss The Mammy's cooking and plan to come back again. Besides, when they do return, they won't have the faintest interest in waiting tables or working in a meat factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

You ought to be brought up for spreading such seditious, unfounded rubbish. It is probably the lies, myths and misinformation peddled by the likes of you is going some way to put young people against joining the Gardai.

A Garda with 10 years experience has a basic salary of €54,000 and with shift + other allowances (some of them tax free so even better than being included in salary) will make the Garda within the top 20% of all income earners in Ireland.

Three words "out of network".

Don't forget if you're visting another State and you're bleeding out after getting riddled with bullets while popping down the shops for a gallon of milk to check that the ambulance company, the doctors, laboratories, lab techs, pharmacy are all in your network before availing of their services.

Only then can you be so confident of your "paid by employer" security you seem to think you have in relation to your health insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Maybe I'm reading that table wrong, but that's a lot of %.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Earning only 54k after 10 years in the job is not great in this day & age. 54k is not a lot of money, especially given house & rental prices are so high.

• Advertisement

Good job then that for the Gardai it's more than 54k once allowances are factored in. They're doing better than 80% of income tax payers. And that gets better each year with increments.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

The first 4 rows are cumulative.

Top 1% account for 22% of tax base

Top 2% to 5% = 45% -( top 1 %) 22% = 23% in the range of earnings from 2 to 5% etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭thegetawaycar

If you start at 20 and are earning 54K+ allowances and overtime at 30 that's not a poor salary.

Housing, especially rentals availability is the main issue. Everyone knows it but nobody does much about it. Other than continue the pyramid scheme of bringing more workers in to pay for huge welfare rates for never works who can barely afford to house themselves.

The fact that you can be (like the Garda example above) 10 years on a housing list, without working a day in your life, get housed in an A rated place near mammy for next to nothing and still retaining the lifestyle choice of sitting on FSA/JSB while the Garda above can't afford a place to rent even is nothing short of a disgrace.

The system won't change but as long as we have a supply deficit the councils shouldn't be competing with private buyers and should be building their own, same goes for AHBs/charities. Make social housing available for those that add a benefit to society (nurses, GPs, Teachers) at a decent rent level, especially in cities and there'd be plenty IMO.

If you could rent at a 20% of income Ireland would be a brilliant place to live for most.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

If you could rent at a 20% of income Ireland would be a brilliant place to live for most.

Ireland is a brilliant place to live for most. 80% of people over 40 own their home, and about 40% of people over 30 own their home.

You must realise the housing crisis affects a small minority of the population, and by housing crisis I mean people who are either to the wall with rent or buying a house is completely out of reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Blarney_man

This is what I keep saying, Ireland is top in Europe at the moment, for every single part of the life. Housing included. A square meter in Munchen costs €11000, let that sink in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

I totally understand about the housing crisis not affecting everyone but I have to disagree with Ireland being a good place to live at the moment.

Now none of these issues affect me personally but I see it every day. So aside from housing, people are suffering trying to access health care. Adults with mental health problems have nowhere to turn. Children are being told their problems are not serious enough so again there is nowhere for them to go. Waiting lists for assessments for different things are years long (both public and private), its very hard to access gp ane dental care in certain areas.

Ireland is a great place if you're well and healthy and are lucky enough not to need any additional services. However, it's a hellhole for many people who are struggling on a daily basis.

I completely agree with you on both points, but as I keep saying, there are very few countries with functional housing and healthcare models.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,046 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

That probably isn't far off of current government thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

It depends on how you define lifestyle. I moved because I couldn't stand Ireland anymore. Tiny crappy apartment that was falling apart. Renting somewhere else was impossible. It's seriously depressing and affects your mental health. Lifestyle is really important because a bad one can lead to all sort of negative mental outcomes.

For a while Ireland was doing great. Wages were good, accommodation was affordable. people moving them were more likely to be looking for a different lifestyle. maybe sunnier. maybe more parties. People now are fleeing. They're leaving not because they want something a bit different, it's because the country can't meet their basic needs.

But you're picking Munich which is an outlier. In NRW where millions live rent is affordable. In Ireland you'd have to move to the back end of leitrim. And remember germany has taken millions of refugees from Syria and Ukraine.

Plus germany and Ireland have different housing markets. Here it's cheaper to rent than have a mortgage. I was looking at property in a dublin commuter town last week. To rent there would cost me 50% more than it would to buy on a 20 year mortgage. Here in germany renting is about 30% cheaper than buying (Depending on the area).

The most expensive city in NRW is Dusseldorf.

Imagine this apartment anywhere in Ireland and imagine the price it would be in Ireland.

https://www.immobilienscout24.de/expose/146312718?referrer=RESULT_LIST_LISTING&searchId=a717aff5-8ec6-3319-a464-3c5f435069ef&searchType=radius#/

The fact is that although there are some places in europe, like Munich, where there's a dysfunctional property/rental market. Most of it isn't like that. Whereas in Ireland, everywhere is fecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

You must realise the housing crisis affects a small minority of the population, and by housing crisis I mean people who are either to the wall with rent or buying a house is completely out of reach.

I disagree - the housing crisis is affecting a decent swathe of the population. Plenty of the 80% of people have college going 'kids' where finding college accommodation is next to impossible and when they do the extortionate costs for usually basic, small and crappy units. Another cohort of the 80% will have young adults in their teens, twenties and now increasingly into their thirties still living at home because there is no where for them to rent or buy let alone at affordable rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Wonder how many of these homeowners with grown ass kids living under their feet objected to new housing near them?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭JDigweed

For a country with an acute housing shortage I see a serious amount of houses boarded up for significant periods. Also there's 6 part v houses in the new estate next to me lying empty that the council haven't bothered moving anyone into yet, it's been well over a year now since they bought them.

There are probably a half dozen houses in the estate next to me which have been empty since the late 2000s when the developer folded.

I enquire about them every few years but whichever entity owns them is not putting them for sale.

Do you think any of these people would vote for measures which may reduce the value of their own property?

Every housing policy from the govt is inflationary and there's a good reason for it.

• Advertisement

I read an article last week in the IT and I believe something like 14% of housing stock is vacant. That includes just empty houses and derelict.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

There won't be an increase in the availability of trades for building either, too much uncertainty and low wages for carpenter's and wet trades, a carpenter I know who is qualified since 1977 and will be retiring soon, was telling me the longest spell he had in one job, which is his current job which he's held for 3 years, he had to go to Germany and the UK several times for work as well as being self employed a few times also.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,171 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

So why does nobody want to join? These days if you want to have kids a mortgage and a decent quality of life you’d need a combined income or a single salary of close too €100k per year. Especially if you live in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Quitelife

I wouldnt wish working in a meat factory on anyone particulary the ones Larry Goodman owns- even the polish & Lithunians have stopped working in them due to minimum wage for back breaking messy work.....think Goodman is getting workers from the Amazon Basin in Brazil at this stage that have no English so his lackeys can ride them on unpaid overtime /entitlement to breaks etc......making Larry even more obsenely Rich whilst his workers go to work hungry!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Jesus, I wonder what his plan is when workers from the Amazon basin no longer think it's worth their while? Maybe North Korean forced labour?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

People still want to join, they are just struggling to get the numbers they need. In times of plenty people tend to not value the security offered by PS type jobs as much. It will change when we go into a recession at some point. In your 100k requirement, the guard would just need to have a partner on an average salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

Property is way over-valued. Tough luck on anyone who paid huge money in the past for a house and then finds the value of it decreases thereafter.

Nobody blinks an eyelid when they shell out tens of thousands on good cars and they subsequently devalue thereafter. A house is to be lived in, not flipped for a profit like a burger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭notAMember

Yes, that's exactly what I expect. That's what I get across germany, switzerland, france, austria. I wouldn't take spain as an example of a place with a good standard of living either tbh. Or wales of all places... fecking lols. Naming places renowned for being impoverished with crappy standard of living and saying we are equivalent, whoop-di-doo.

I'm going to assume asking what water and toilet facilities have to do with quality of life is a rhetorical question/joke, as the alternative is rather insulting.

Over-valued is a relative term.

Over-valued compared to what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭KilOit

2008 crash will look like a walk in the park compared to whats coming very soon, everyone's world is about to be flipped upside down

Advertisement