Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disability Payments Review

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

• Registered Users Posts: 18,083 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I would imagine thousands of disability allowance cases have had extreme changes in circumstances since their original payment date. I now have mobility and vision issues due to medical complications where my original case was for Autism. The acquired disabilities have hindered any attempts to go back to college or to set any sort of vocational goals, they are significant and life altering.

I am wondering what criteria or assessment process will decide what level I am at who will look me over to decide what my life and current values are now worth.

This whole situation is extremely disturbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,063 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I would be happy to see tiers where the top tier gets a lot more than they currently do.

I have a friend who would likely qualify for any top tier even without seeing the criteria. At the minute she gets the same as e,g, a 23 year old that is diagnosed with mild diabetes who doesn't want to work. Which is absolutely mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

I’d imagine you’d fall into the top tier and get the max increased amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

What about those on disability allowance or invalidity pension and working at the same time ? They can't even clamp down on those as is never mind this nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I suggest you familiarise yourself with the legal entitlement to work whilst on Disability Allowance, those who can, have their payment reduced to reflect the earnings they get.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,405 ✭✭✭✭zell12

There was a protest today, against a tier system, was shot down as “ableist” by campaigners, about 70 of whom attended the demonstration on O’Connell Street this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭thomas 123

I think that’s reasonable but could we trust the powers that be to deliver on that?

I personally fear and English style system where you have private companies on quotas and bonuses to get people off disability being rolled out here as part of this. Luckily I am disabled myself but feel for anyone concerned about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Dude240502

Would a change of minister make any difference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭gipi

Reported in today's Irish Times that the "3 tier" proposal for disability allowance payments is not going ahead and will be scrapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Disappointing for the permanently disabled who may have been looked after with an increased payment. These are the disabled who just cannot work and will never be able to work regardless of therapy or recovery from injury.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

@Gusser09 There is to be a new cabinet committee on children and disablilities. And disability is a priority for the new Taoiseach according to the article. The green paper was very, very flawed. Hopefully some much better plan can be developed now this green paper is scrapped.

The idea that you would examine a quarter of a million people is very dickensian says Sen. Tom Clonan. Are that many getting some sort of disability payment?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Sorry, I don’t see that quote in the article posted here, are you seeing that somewhere else? I doubt very much that there are quarter of a million people on DA. It’s extremely hard to get in the first place.

It was on Radio1 ~16:35.

I see a reference to DA claimants 2023 is 161,621. I assume the rest is the other varied disability payments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭hawthorne

155000 folks on DA in 2021- according to this:

271075_fbfe982e-a189-434f-a130-e4c97e51df6f.pdf

I think one of the measures the green paper talked about was combining a number of payments under one new payment. I think that included invalidity pension, partial capacity benefit and blind persons allowance so maybe it total it all adds up.

I'd argue the core Disability Allowance payment should be increased dramatically for any one on it, also additional allowances have not been increased for over 10 years I believe.

• Advertisement

I think the number is around 160k and I agree it is very difficult to get. Whatever about folks being on DA, Historically, new claimants over the past 10 years have to supply reams of medical reports & the decline rate on 1st application attempt is extraordinarily high.

I was fortunate getting approved on 1st attempt.

Advertisement