Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disability Payments Review

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭hawthorne

Leo was born into a rich family. He does not know anything about the life of the ordinary people- never mind the poor and the sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Saw it and was appalled, he's getting serious flak on Twitter (X) over it.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Dadtom

Hi everybody has anybody gotten emails to take part in the online consultation ? A woman i know was telling me today she received an email from the social welfare department with a link asking her to take part in the government online consultation about proposed reforms to disability payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,402 ✭✭✭✭zell12

We will arrange up to two Green Paper consultation events outside Dublin subject to demand. You can express an interest in your preferred location

• Registered Users Posts: 18 15196389

Thank you so much for your kind reply. Only getting to read this now. Your advice is great. I am going to do that. If when I have a meeting I'm going to write how I feel on paper. I'm able to explain myself better than if I try and tell them verbally. It comes off as nothing. I do plenty. I don't be lazy. I could be sent to a load of different jobs and let go one by one. I'm not able. I try my best absolute hardest and it doesn't work out.

Thank you so so much for saying I'm not a waste of space.

This is for thomas 123 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

Ireland must be on the only country in the world where someone can be on "Disability" because of a drink problem.

Whilst Alcoholism in itself is not considered a disability, You might be considered disabled if: the addiction has caused an impairment - for example if you struggle with alcohol use and this has caused liver disease.

It's not as black & white as you claim

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭hawthorne

Would you employ somebody who is drunk all the time? Do you think such person would be beneficial to your company? Relaible? Trustworthy? Able to do his/her job without any problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BagofWeed

Even worse, I know of a guy who got it due to claiming he developed an actual mineral drink problem to compensate for giving up the drink. Said he can't walk past a shop without buying a large bottle of coke and swigging it down leaving him depressed and angry.

Doctors are signing the forms for people they are wary/afraid off/or have good friendly relationships with while people who actually deserve to be on it are being fobbed off by the same doctors.

I think your taking to might be taking a little to much weed. This is preposterous nonsense.

Over the past 10 years at least, Disability Allowance along with Invalidity Pension have been the most difficult SW Payments to get. At a minimum 60% of 1st time applications declined

This nonsense, GP'S are signing forms for people they are wary of is absurd. I've gone through the process & can assure you, GP'S are extremely cautious not just with signing long term illness certs but DA application forms which require far more than a signature.

I'll accept, historically DA was awarded all to easily but certainly not over the past 10 years, maybe more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Dadtom

Back when I was a young man in my early twenties I took up an employment skills course at a fas funded fas sponsored training centre. There was a caretaker maintenance fellow working there employed on a ce scheme he used to work five hours five days a week. But getting to the point the man had a drink problem there would be times later in the day where if you came across him in the centre you could get a smell of drink off him obviously he would bring alcoholic drink in some bottle with him to work. On one occasion he arrived into the centre clearly drunk eventually he had to be left go because of his drink problem. The man has not worked since and is on disability as I have seen him present his bus pass when getting on a bus. While he has never being in any trouble with the guards or anything he does have a long term alcohol problem. After someone gets left go from a community employment scheme due to an alcohol problem let's face it going to be very hard for him to find other employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BagofWeed

They'll sign it for Travellers who have **** all wrong with them. Loads of Travellers are on DA. All drug addicts who are seeking treatment also get it. I work with addicts in treatment, all of them are on it.

People with serious depression, fobbed off. People with heart issues, fobbed off. Doctors, "Ah sure you'll be grand, tis nothing that'll prevent you working". Getting DA does depend on having a good doctor, one who actually listens.

As for the guy who got it for his mineral addiction, lol, he appealed 1st to the SW Appeals office then to a Chief Appeals Officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

I believe the government have moved people from long term unemployment benefit on to "disability".

For a country with "full employment" we have a very high welfare bill.

They have absolutely not, I've neighbours on JSA for years, 2 in their early 60's now and still on JSA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

No that’s never happened. There’s no “long term jobseekers benefit”.

Jobseekers Benefit lasts 9 months.

It’s not possible to be “moved” to DA. If an applicant wants/needs DA then they have to apply for it. A medical report from the applicants GP is needed at the very least. DA is a section on its own in Longford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭oceanman

a lot of it is down to plain old begrudgery......he has it and i dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

This Disability payments review seems like some bright spark saw what they were doing in the UK regarding this type of payment and thought we can do that here.

Despite what some people think here getting disability is not always that easy for people. I have a friend who was diagnosed on the autism spectrum as an adult after years of various problems. They applied for disability, had to provide phycologist reports, doctors reports and fill out pages of form's. It was rejected and my friend appealed it. They had a face to face meeting with a person from the department of social welfare as part of the appeal. Getting disability improved my friends life.

My friend looked into getting pt work in X area. They found out that after 3 year's they lose their medical card. My friend said medical card is needed if people have long term health issues that require expensive medication.

They can only earn a limited amount before they start to lose some money on their benefit. This went up last year but it seems to kick in after 14-16 hours on min wage.

Then where do the government think that all the disabled people will get work even PT. Some people have conditions that when they are not well they are physically unable to work like say ms. What employer will employ someone who could be ringing in sick on a regular basis? Years ago employers could avail of a government payment for taking on a person with disability but that is no long available as far as I am aware of.

My friend said that they know people on disability and the reality is that could not work. Along with this not everyone on disability is physically disabled so what happens to people who have autism, mental health problems, me ect or as they are known the hidden disabilities?

My friend told me that this plan would make their life far more difficult as they will end up back dealing with tus nua and being pushed into taking any job. My friend also said why can't they go after the 3/4th generation of dole families or the person who has never worked or last had a job 5 plus years ago rather than people on disability.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Just on the post above. The wage subsidy scheme for employers employing people with disabilities is still in place. I am on it. My employer gets €6.30 for every hour I work. This is more than half the minimum wage, it’s not insubstantial. It’s purpose is to cover a shortfall in productivity. The main issue is that employers do not wish to participate in the scheme or they are unaware of it.

There is also a review taking place of the wage subsidy scheme. I made a submission for that already before the one for disability allowance was mentioned. Seems they are trying to overhaul both at the same time.

Minister answers query in Dáil https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2023-09-28a.528

I would like to emphasise that this Green Paper is not a final design and no changes will be made to the current payments at this time. The Green Paper is a proposal on what the future of long-term disability payments could look like. It doesn’t claim to be the best way or the only way to change the structure of our payments. The proposals in the Green Paper represent a starting point for a structured discussion..

The main proposal of the Green Paper is to move to a three-tiered Personal Support Payment, rather than the one-size-fits-all payments we currently have. This would amalgamate the current system of Disability Allowance, Invalidity Pension, and Blind Pension into one payment with a contributory and non-contributory stream.

• Advertisement

UK news

Disabled people must work from home to do ‘their duty’, says UK minister

Laura Trott, chief secretary to the Treasury “Of course there should be support for people to help them into work but ultimately there is a duty on citizens if they are able to go out to work they should. Those who can work and contribute should contribute.”

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...makes sense, from a fairly right leaning govenrment!

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Ludikrus

Absolutely brilliant. There's plenty of work nowadays that can be done remotely and by people with disability.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

One thing the green paper fails to address is the possibility of keeping people off higher rates of disability. The money given to those in employment is not sufficient to keep up with the expenses of being disabled, nor is the cut off point high enough.

I work full time... because that's what I need to do to keep myself afloat. I'm busting my ass now to put bigger measures in place to help later (e.g. easier to get out of vehicle, robot hoover, etc), but it is crippling me, and barely covering the extra cost of living. However, throwing in as many extra hours as I can to survive means my body is going to give up at some point in the near future, and force me onto DA.

But a PIP like payment (independent of income) would go a very long way to helping me stay in the workforce for longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

In Joe Duffy speak, it’s called being Unwell. But alcoholism can amount to a massive disability when a lot of damage has been done to the brain or liver.

I totally agree with you here, though I’m retired on a small public service person. I’ve had to get things like a decent robotic hoover, and it’s an ongoing process of getting aids as my MS progresses. If If these were my working years, in private sector, I know I wouldn’t be able to continue my job, indeed had to retire on other health grounds. If I were working in private sector, I would have ended up on disability payment. The added expenses of keeping oneself functioning at all are not taken into account.

....or a right leading government thats completely fcuked, and knows its on the way out, so is talking pure sh1te, about stuff it knows fcuk all about, and polices that will probably never see the light of day.....

I'm not entirely sure why people are quoting or comparing what's happening in the UK with regard to Disability payments, it's completely irrelevant. Already there's talk there about the costs involved in means testing payments.

As for Talk about there being a Right leaning government there, it could be argued we've one here.

• Advertisement

...we probably shouldnt be littering this thread with our political nonsense, but shur....

...id class our current government as a very higgledy-piggledy, broad spectrum one, we have some how avoided the more extremes, and are somehow managing to keep a more broad spectrum centrist one, but i suspect thats just about to change now, and some of that change wont be nice, unfortunately, interesting times, but....

Advertisement