Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Agnes Wed 27 Sept 2023.

Options

Comments

It's going to be a close run thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭pad199207

GFS still gusty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Gerry Murphy mentioned East & South at greatest task from wind. That opinion is consistent with what some models are showing here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

If I hide will it just not exist 😱

Can I walk into my garden safely between 9.05 and 9.06? 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

No getting away from the fact the South Coast is at risk of some very stormy weather, combined with middle of day. Let's see what 06z gfs and icon do...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

We're still 48 hours away. Any sort of wobble with that low direction, either of the low or isobars, could shift the risk dramatically both ways.

Icon remains stormy across the South Coast. For now I would say Orange across the South and a red marine warning just along South Coast.

ICON looks a smidgen north for now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Icon looks a bit further north but a bit slacker. Still some red and widespread orange level gusts for parts of the SW and S but that model tends to overcook the wind speeds in general so may still not be quite as bad. GFS 6z rolling out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

Warnings have been issued….updates to warnings to follow!!

• Advertisement

Status Yellow - Rain warning for Carlow, Dublin, Kilkenny, Wexford, Wicklow, Cork, Kerry, Waterford

• Met Éireann Weather Warning
    • Heavy rain on Wednesday.

• Potential impacts:

• • Difficult travel conditions
    • • Localised flooding
    • • Poor visibility

• Updates to warnings to follow.
    • Valid: 07:00 Wednesday 27/09/2023 to 00:00 Thursday 28/09/2023
    • Issued: 10:39 Monday 25/09/2023

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Leinster and Munster

• Met Éireann Weather Warning
    • Becoming very windy on Wednesday with very strong and gusty southerly winds, veering westerly later on.

• Potential impacts:

• • Coastal flooding
    • • Difficult travel conditions
    • • Power outages
    • • Some fallen trees

• Updates to warnings to follow.
    • Valid: 07:00 Wednesday 27/09/2023 to 00:00 Thursday 28/09/2023
    • Issued: 10:34 Monday 25/09/2023

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

GFS basically unchanged from previous but a very small tad deeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Robwindstorm

I wonder will this system when it develops to our southwest, elongate with twin centres later on approach. This has happened regularly with predicted dartboard storm systems of late. Maybe it will hold its shape better with tropical mixtures but then these tend to fill more quickly giving just a very wet and windy day. We had plenty of those already this year, but lets wait and see what happens .

Named as Agnes now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭aidanodr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Strange that Ireland gets the brunt of it but UK Met name it

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

At the moment looks like SW UK will get more of the brunt of it than us!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭highdef

The system looks to be filling quite rapidly as it approaches/passes over the country. This is good news as a filling system usually results in less gustiness to the winds and lower gust speeds overall compared to a system that is still deeping.

Post edited by highdef on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Shame Ireland didn't name it I stayed up till 5am to see if they would have but obviously didn't, I think orange warnings will be issued for Cork, Waterford and wexford , I'd say the Met Office where like why isn't Ireland naming it it's going by their south coast etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

That's a relatively early yellow warning from MÉ. Those wind speeds in the East tend to cause more disruption than out West.

Does the UK met not need stronger than yellow warnings to issue storm names usually?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

The further West you go from Dublin, the less panicked and disrupted, by yellow, orange and red, folks tend to be. But then, there's less bicycles in use (and window-boxes).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭pauldry

It's a damp squid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

They always are, even when they're being eaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

With a strong El Nino we will hopefully have a proper storm at some point in the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

I see the Uk met office updated their warning to include NW Scotland in the wind warning, that’s all of Scotland included except for Orkney and Shetland. Strange one. 89mph was recorded in Scotland yesterday and there was no warning issued. On the sauce in Exeter?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭highdef

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Much higher rainfall totals showing up now, rough day with that wind driven rain.

Advertisement