Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Drivers behaviour on roads

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Tazium

Regularly see ICE cars blocking the charging points in shopping centre car parks. No excuse for that, it's clearly marked but gobshites will do as they please without consideration of others.

On any given day at Dublin Airport, the filling station on the exit road will have non-EV cars blocking the charge points.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

80kmh, which is the maximum allowed if you are towing anyway, so why should the absence of a caravan be a problem for others :-)

I am reminded of my time in the UK driving company cars and using motorways there a lot. I was often flashed in roadworks because I stuck rigidly to the speed limits. I knew the risks to construction workers, and could easily do the sums to work out that the difference in time over a few miles doing the legal limit instead of 20mph or so above was negligible. Of course the speed cameras and police were keeping an eye also.

The only problem with doing the speed limit on an Irish motorway is that lane discipline is almost none existent though, whereas in the UK most do pay heed.

So it might be a shade unnerving to look in the mirror and see someone tanking up behind you undertaking all the rest of the traffic at well over the speed limit.

Maybe a bottle of Jameson would soothe the nerves :-)

Well I suppose people that give a damn about their pocket and the planet might consider a slower speed and slightly earlier start a good trade off. The speed limit is a maximum, not something to aim for.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,941 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

It's an EV, it doesn't emit more exhaust gas when driving faster, and I think it's fair to say the majority of EVs are charged at night when the grid is cleaner

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭coolbeans

That's a bit of a stretch really. Many are charged on home based solar and many others are charged at night when the grid is largely run off renewables or at least much cleaner. Regardless, it's a very ropey argument for driving at 80kph just because... EV. If you're so skint that you can't do 120kph because of your pocket then things are very tight indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Driving at 80km on the motorway to preserve battery?

The more I read about EVs the more put off I am about ever changing over to one.

They just sound like a lot of hassle.

Well this thread started dumb and has gotten dumber since then. Well done OP for stirring the pot and giving EV drivers a bad name

At least the highly inappropriate reference to cyclists has been removed

FWIW, I agree with the OP that 80km/h is a safe speed to be doing in the slow lane on a motorway

While I can understand that's incredibly frustrating for someone behind them, that isn't an excuse to tailgate someone dangerously or drive in an aggressive manner

However, I don't believe drivers behaviour has anything to do with what's powering their cars

I agree that the likely reason people are flashing their lights at the OP is because they're doing something dumb. Or it's happened once and the OP feels necessary to colour every driver with the same brush

Perhaps @JizzBeans might consider making a shirt charging stop so they can continue their journey at a higher speed? It has generally been shown that it's faster to stop and charge and proceed at full speed rather than slowing down to conserve energy. Personally I'd only do it if I was in the last few kilometres to my house anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭eagerv

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I've avoided ever driving a petrol car as I once met a fella on a park bench who told me he drove at 70km/h to save petrol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭creedp

There would often be if you're coming up behind a chap cruising at 80kph. No issue though as it could just as easy be a chappie towing a trailer.

Doesnt mean that it wouldnt cause frustration though. Doesnt justify tailgating however. Having said that though its possible the OP is a little oversensitive about being tailgaited given that s/he is probably conscious of holding people up

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Gerrymandering reborn

The OP sounds like the guy who is obsessed with Americian media

Oh I think I ended up behind that guy, was doing 40km/h on an unlit 100km/h limit N road somewhere around Roscommon

In the middle of the night, with his daytime lights on 😬

Actually, I'm starting to think I was driving behind the OP 😂

I was still driving the Toyota back then so I must have tailgated them and flashed my lights because apparently that's what petrol drivers do 😏

Nah, they haven't mentioned anyone getting shot yet

You miss the point.

Simple physics means that for almost any wheeled vehicle driving at 80km/h is going to be cheaper than driving at 120km/h

So assuming One does not have a high flying job where minutes count, does it not make sense to go at a lower speed providing it is not unsafe and does not unduly obstruct?

80km/h Vs 120km/h in simple terms means that it will save money whatever the fuel or time of charging, it's safer. I will never forget the surprise I had when doing the limit on the M1 once and encountered someone in front of me parked up in the LH lane presumably counting their money a km or so from the toll.

People do not act responsibly on motorways, simple they may be, but there is always the unexpected. Slower allows more time to react.

Seeing the maximum speed limit as something to aim for as a matter of course is purely and simply wrong.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, as above, you'd save more money by sticking to 80 in an ice car than you would in a petrol car; though for (some) EV drivers the rationale might be down more to range anxiety than cost.

I often wonder what the insulation is like. There seems to be no clear information on the power needed for heating or air con, I doubt that the waste heat from I^2 R losses amounts to much in an efficient motor these days?

I wonder also what will happen when the honeymoon period is over and the governments want to claw back taxes?

Will EV charging points have separate meters, or will they have someone paint the electrons destined for none road traffic use :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Waiting for the first w@nker to mention "road craft".

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

• Registered Users Posts: 13,668 ✭✭✭✭josip

They're really not for long distance driving and are only suitable as a 2nd car for the school run and pottering about the suburbs.

The batteries will also be badly degraded after 5 years and you'll have to pay upwards of €10,000 out of warranty to get them replaced.

And don't get me started on the risk of them spontaneously combusting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭coolbeans

You're moving the goalposts. Higher speeds use more energy, that's obvious. Additionally, I really don't see how high flying jobs have to do with anything pertaining to this. I suggest you stick to the facts. People will want to do the limit and it's not up to other drivers to dictate what they do on the road. That's what the police are for. Again, driving at 80 is fine but don't be a traffic dictator and trying to govern others' speed.

No, sensitive as to the fact that the person behind is too dim to realise that they have no time to react even at 80 and they cannot build up speed to overtake safely when the traffic eases.

If someone is tailgating you, the only safe solution is to slow down and let him get past. They will only ever see your rear bumper and are not concentrating on the road.

The two second rule does not get much of a mention these days, but it is a lifesaver.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I never said that driving at a slower pace in more hazardous conditions was dangerous and I don't know how you got that from my post. And the risk associated with very high speed driving goes far beyond simply "one's inability to quickly control a vehicle"; indeed in Germany, even in unrestricted autobahns, drivers doing over a certain speed who are involved in an accident will be charged with creating an unsafe environment on the road even if the crash wasn't actually their fault. If you really can't see the obvious elevated risk attached to large speed differentials (plus or minus) there's not really much I can do - and of course while drivers should react correctly to such hazards, the reality is some won't and this is eminently foreseeable.

Mod Note: Snip, no need to bring post history from other forums into thread

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

can electric cars not do 100Km/h?

Unless its a very old Prius?

Mine can do 160, allegedly 😁

I can confirm that it does 120 on the motorway quite regularly, although I personally prefer 110 because the ride is a bit smoother and quieter. If I'm overtaking I'll go up to 120

I think in the two years of ownership I've back off the speed to conserve energy twice, from 110 to 100

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Absolute uninformed drivel!!!! This view has been shown to be inaccurate more times than I can count in here.... Unless you are trolling and I have taken the bait!

On the tailgating thing for the OP; "Leaf Speed" was and probably still is a phenomenon on the roads whereby it was owners of limited range Leafs, at the time, who would travel at 80kph on the motorways to preserve what little range they had remaining. Motorways have multiple lanes for the very purpose of overtaking slower moving vehicles, so unless the OP is hogging the overtaking lane then the tailgating behaviour of other drivers is just bad form IMO. In my case, I travel at 100kph on the motorway unless I am in a hurry. This speed ensures I am not holding up trucks or busses going about their business and means I can make reasonable progress while keeping the overtaking lane free for those who wish to travel faster. Not once have I been tailgated doing this and I have done it in ICE and EVs for years.

Only advice I would give to the OP when driving on the motorway would be to increase your speed to 90kph. You will notice a decrease in tailgating and it will have a negligible effect on power consumption for your EV (if your overall aim is to preserve your charge level).

I think he was trolling, and you took the bait 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

There is absolutely something wrong with going slow on motorways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

If you're going at 80k on a motorway you really should be using the national roads

Advertisement