Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Drivers behaviour on roads

Options
  • 14-09-2023 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Have any other EV drivers observed an increase in obnoxious behavior from ICE car drivers?

Parking in charging spots: Frequently seeing charge points used as regular parking spots by ice drivers, garages, hotels, on street etc, not to mention mother & baby and disabled spaces. I would be in favor of clamping in these cases.

Tailgating: This is a constant issue for me. When I slow down to 80kph on the motorway to preserve battery on long journeys, I am always dangerously tailgated by multiple drivers, leading me to my next point.

General Manners: I am frequently flashed or beeped by tailgaters if I am not going, what they think, is fast enough. Just overtake or or leave earlier, its tough sh1t if you have a problem. ICE car drivers, imo, have anger issues and road rage, have got several angry shouts when stopped at lights.

The same drivers will complain and abuse cyclists, but then behave like lunatics themselves. Its probably a good thing the speed limits are going to change.

Post edited by liamog on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭65535

Parking in Charging spots - never seen it

Tailgating - well if youre deciding to do 80kph on a 120kph motorway it's you that needs to decide if the motorway is really for you and your battery car.

General Manners - well keep left, indicate when changing lanes and try and keep up - other than that I don't see any issues with battery cars or diesel/petrol either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭User1998

What do you expect when your doing 40 under the limit? If your going to drive that slow, stay left and it shouldn’t happen as much.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

80 on a motorway! Idiotic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

No, I Don't think they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

80kph on the motorway will slow down trucks and other commercial vehicles leading to more pollution and more expensive goods in our shops all because you want to save 2c a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Getting frequent flashes, beeps and abuse indicates that you might not be the wonderful road user you think yourself to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,443 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I haven't noticed the parking issue. Doing 80 on a motorway is giving EV drivers a bad name. I can see 'bad manners' if you're hogging a lane at 80 to be honest and even driving an EV behind you I'd get teed off too.

Your general attitude towards ICE drivers is not something I'd like to see creep into motoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,847 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Bit offensive against cyclists isn't it? I've never been tailgated by a cyclist at 80km/h on the motorway or seen one parked at a charger

While I agree with the other posters that it's extremely frustrating being stuck behind someone doing 80 on a motorway, that also doesn't excuse dangerous behaviour

If you want to go faster than the car in front, don't do silly things like tailgating or flashing your lights, maintain a safe distance and overtake when you can

Regarding general road manners of ICE drivers, dunno if they're particularly worse than EV drivers. I've had a few incidents where another EV driver was acting the clown in my vicinity

Also haven't seen as many chargers getting blocked. There's a few disaster zones, generally where the chargers are in an advantageous parking space, but I think a lot of people are starting to get the message

General advice, where you find people, expect to find a$$holes. You can put them in an EV or ICE car (or a bike) and they'll still be an a$$hole

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 23,270 ✭✭✭✭ted1

80kmh on a motorway is dangerous and ridiculous……

stay off them

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

It could be argued that 80kmh on a motorway is against the rules of the road as it is up to every driver on the motorway to

"Drive at a safe and legal speed that will not interfere with traffic already on the motorway. " (source)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

What lane you in on motowhen getting tailgated?

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Motorways have several lanes so that faster drivers can overtake the slower ones 😏

There will always be idiots behind the wheel whether it's an Ice or Ev car.

Not many drivers will tailgate if they can simply overtake. The OP is obviously impeding traffic flow and at 80 that includes trucks unable to avail of the overtaking lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭JizzBeans

Woah, unbelievable amount excuse making here. There is nothing wrong with going slower on the motorway, and yes I always stay left. The responsibility is on any driver to maintain a safe distance from the car in front, not me to drive faster.

Sorry but are any of you actually EV drivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭elperello

There is no reason for bad feeling between ICE and EV drivers.

Just look at all the car vs. cyclist threads to see where we shouldn't go.

Why are you excusing tailgating? Its not my responsibility to speed up for impatient ICE drivers

What do trucks or buses do when they are stuck at 80 behind you on a two lane motorway? You have a responsibility too. Drives won't tailgate by choice, so they must be unable to overtake you and you are clearly inhibiting traffic flow. EVs can go above 80 and not lose significant range. Will you go lights off in winter to protect the battery as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,572 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

If they are tailgating you just turn on your rear fog lights and they will drop back if they do not wanted to be blinded by them unless they have got some kind of super eye lol.

I do not think 80kph on the motorway is dangerous if its on the progress lane and not the overtaking Lane. Tractors drive on the Motorway and there top speed is 50kph. Also Trucks and buses are not supposed to go over 80kph.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

He'd have to slow to 70 with the fogs on, to compensate for the impact on the battery. 😀

Sorry, but did you just say drivers wont tailgate by choice????? Its obviously by choice and its obnoxious. Are you an ICE driver by any chance?

• Advertisement

That's what I'm saying. Drivers will, by choice, overtake rather than tailgate. This is regardless of ICE or EV. In fact nothing in this has to do with a distinction between ICE and EV. It's to do with reactions to your driving style. Other motorists don't know you're only doing 80 to maximise range any more than somebody nursing an ICE to maximise fuel consumption. You need to take some responsibility for your own actions. I drive ICE and EV as it happens. I most certainly don't drive the EV as if it were incapable of carrying out the task of getting me along a motorway at a reasonable speed as it was designed to do. You're driving like you're on an R regional road.

How is driving at a safe speed arguably more dangerous than tailgating? (which by definition, blatantly ignores the 2 second rule)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭blackbox

From time to time I drive on the motorway when towing a trailer and am therefore limited to 80km/hr.

I have never had any problems with people tailgating me. I always keep to the left lane.

It always surprises me how many other people are also driving slowly.

N.B. there are ar**holes driving all sorts of vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,572 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Lol not at all. They are probably l.E.D.s so 75 should do it lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

No, your suggesting I am causing other drivers to tailgate.

Correction, other drivers choose to tailgate. My speed has nothing to do with it. Its always ICE drivers I have this issue with

As an EV driver myself, you're an absolute idiot for driving at 80km/h on a motorway. I'd tailgate you myself if you pulled that stunt in front of me.

This post reminds me of guys who got really upset & angry at the beginning of lock down when they found out the pubs were closing and couldn't live without pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭elperello

M7 yesterday guy in Ford Ranger doing about 65-70.

Holding a length of white wavin on the roof with his right hand.

Eejits drive all sorts of vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Trucks use to be limited to 80kph and coaches to 90kph, This has increased to 90 for trucks and 100kph for coaches, I a past life I would have to overtake a car doing 60kph and the minute I be out in the outside lane the car would speed up to 80kph forcing me back in to the LHS lane and then slow back down to 60kph.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Why do you feel the need to do 80km/h on the motorway anyway OP? I stay at the limit 120 and most of my driving is on the motorway. If EV driving meant driving that slowly then I'd have never made the switch.

Advertisement