Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Drivers behaviour on roads

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭dubrov

IMO, driving at 80km on a motorway is dangerous and puts other drivers at risk.

No one would tailgate if they can easily overtake which suggests something else is going on that the OP isn't aware of.

I'm not sure what the anti-cyclist stuff is about either

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

"Tailgating: This is a constant issue for me. When I slow down to 80kph on the motorway to preserve battery on long journeys, I am always dangerously tailgated by multiple drivers, leading me to my next point."

Sorry what, you do 80kph on a fuckin motorway. Honestly you need to be reported to the Gardai for driving in such a dangerous manner. You've no idea how bloody dangerous you are on the road if you think thats OK.

If people are constantly flashing and beeping at you did you ever think for a second that YOU'RE the problem? The absolute bang of entitlement off you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

EV vs ICE is just childish mega drive vs NES stuff, if you see problems in everything you are the problem, specifically not maintaining adequate progress on the motorway.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Why would an EV driver not tailgate?

How do PHEV drivers manage? Tailgate when she's on petrol but when on battery stay back?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Going too sow on a motorway leaves you open to a fine and prosecution. If your awesome EV cant keep up with traffic maybe get off the motorway. You're an accident waiting to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Whats causing your range anxiety? Have you bought a vehicle thats not fit for your purposes?

I used to drive to work daily on M7 at 85mph to work. And 50mph home, to conserve fuel when not on a deadline. Apart from the occasional slowcoach in the passing lane, I never encountered any problems. In the slow lane, unless both lanes have filled up and its moving above 50mph (80kmh, as I reckon you may be evangelical about such things, being so clearly insecure about driving electric), then I've almost never experienced anyone tailgating when they could pass. If they do, its because of your speed, right or wrong, not because they've deftly analysed the air quality behind your wheels and deduced that you are driving one of them foreign modern yokes.

Mph/kmh/petrol/diesel/lpg/electric... people are too busy and don't care.

I drove a big engine lpg for years. Granted, I rarely drove slow. But when I did, on petrol, as was my wont, I do not recall any sinister moments.

Its vital to go with the flow of traffic, if at all possible. To purposely not do so is uncivil.

Post edited by An Ri rua on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i once hit 80km/h on my bicycle. is that the proverbial cyclist mentioned in the thread title?

i didn't do it on a motorway though.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭moonage

If you're going to be doing 50mph on the motorway trade in your glorified milk float and buy a proper car.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

My initial reaction to the 80km/h was that's very slow on a motorway.

For me, for a car it is.

But.

The speed limit for a car/jeep/pickup and trailer is 80km/h. Are they going too slow? They cannot legally go any faster

Although on a motorway, there should be enough time and space in the other lane to overtake.

Tailgating is not a response to a slow driver for whatever reason. Nor is flashing lights, beeping or any of that.

Tractors, that have a 50k gearbox are allowed on a motorway, just, as they can maintain 50km/h.. have fun tailgating them.. they won't see you if they have a trailer!

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭GSBellew

I met an idiot like you trying to overtake a truck on the M1 whilst sticking to 80kmph, the truck eventually slowed to allow the degenerate overtake.

Do not know nor care if it was an EV or not, the driver should not be on a Motorway & if you want to dawdle along you really should go on the alternative routes that are available to you which would be more appropriate for your chosen rate of progress, I'm not sure you quite realise how dangerous it is to have a mobile roadblock travelling at 2/3rds of the normal speed, tractors have flashing lights to warn people of their slow moving nature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭User1998

Stop trying to blame ICE drivers, the reason you think it’s just ICE drivers is because 95% of the cars on the road are ICE, and because EV drivers have to drive slow on motorways

• Registered Users Posts: 9,535 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Eh....EV drivers don't "have to" drive slow on the motorway - that's just a few selfish idiots like the OP who prioritise their economy over other road users' safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Shoog

That is not true, the driver is obliged to drive at an appropriate speed to the condition and not to interfer with other road users ability to do the same. Driving to slowly is dangerous and you can be fined for it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Motorways by design have good sightlines and multiple lanes making overtaking safer. So based on these facts, how exactly is doing 80km/h the dangerous activity some are making out to be. How exactly is that driver putting themselves in danger as has been claimed? Are people alleging that drivers coming up behind will not see the 80km/h driver ahead and plough into the back of them? Are they alleging that drivers will choose to overtake them meaning a lane change? Or what because no matter what way I think about it, any risk is introduced by the passing driver so they are the one to be addressed

• Registered Users Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭fits

Regularly drive on motorway towing at 80km/hr. It is in no way an unsafe speed on the motorway so I don’t know what people’s beef is.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Fieldsman

I think the OP isn't getting much support here with her slow driving I just hope you keep on the left lane as you'll infuriate other drivers if not. I suggest you avoid using motorways and you say you get flashed at traffic lights well are you one of those who seem to wait for the green light to get greener

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they're required to stay in the left lane anyway (unless they're moving faster than the car they're passing). they're not required to drive above 80.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

If people come upon any vehicle doing 80 on a motorway and think it's dangerous they might want to check their own driving if they can't handle the situation.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I don't see any difference in behaviour of drivers based on the drivetrain of either my vehicle or theirs. The only time I'm tailgated is when driving at 30km/h in a 30 zone.

As for being flashed at OP, are you sure you know how to use your car and aren't just driving with DRL's on. I see a lot of newer cars who forget to turn on their lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Stephenc66

Like a few other posters here I regularly tow a trailer at 80kmh on the motorway the legal limit for a vehicle towing a trailer. Unlike the OP I can't say I have been tailgated or abused by other drivers.

As for those saying 80Kmh is dangerous on the motorway are you really that unaware of the road ahead that you can't observe a slower moving vehicle and act accordingly to overtake. Its only 10kmh slower than a lorry is limited to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The limit for vehicles towing a trailer is 80km per hour would you tailgate all of them too? Would you tailgate a tractor travelling at 80kph on a rural motorway?

Some of the reasons for tailgating are an absolute joke, but yours are ridiculous. Grow up, indicate, overtake, go back in to the driving lane & carry on with your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,535 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Large speed differentials are inherently dangerous - whether that being a vehicle going significantly faster or significantly slower than most others. Would you argue that a vehicle travelling 160 km/h on a motorway when everyone else is doing 120 km/h is NOT dangerous? I mean, all everyone else has to do is use the overtaking lane correctly and there won't be an issue right? And while your post has merit in some quieter situations, in the real world someone travelling far slower than everyone else, say, this morning at rush hour with high traffic volumes and heavy rain is creating a significant hazard.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Drive at the speed you & your vehicle are comfortable with.

If you want or need to drive slowly on a motorway then use the left hand lane unless you need to overtake another vehicle .

Do not hog the centre or outside lane as it can be dangerous or frustrating to other road users.

Do not flash or honk at other drivers unless really necessary & remember that other drivers may not be as proficient as you.

Whatever you are driving drive safely & respect other road users.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭JizzBeans

Wheres the danger? Is tailgating not the danger if you ignore the 2 second rule?

Because tailgating is dangerous, a fact that seems to completely ignored in this thread. I just stay back until its safe to overtake. Its very simple.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Mod note: there's a topic for environmental discussion, posts removed.

Wheres the danger? Is tailgating not the danger if you ignore the 2 second rule?

Reported to Gardai for what? Whats the crime?

80 is the limit on regional & local roads, is that dangerous?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

2/3 of the speed limit is dangerously slow in a motorway. I firmly believe you are at fault on that count.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

So it's dangerous to drive at a slower pace in heavy traffic when it the road surface is wet? Honestly, are you taking the piss?

As for someone travelling at 160km/h, the risk there is different simply because of one's inability to quickly control a wehicle when something happens.

Driving on a motorway at 80km/h is not dangerous. Being unable to drive on a motorway when there is someone in front of you travelling at 80km/h is dangerous.

Advertisement