Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Radio 1: The 9 O Clock Show hosted by Various Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

I see Tubs was doing the rounds on fm104 and Q102 in anticipation of his new show in the new year. Guy seemed reinvigorated and in great form. The classic Tubs banter on full display. Not surprised. He's just back from headlining a book festival in Iceland rubbing shoulders with Hillary Clinton and other big wigs. He must be feeling on top of the world after a rough period.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,112 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

That auld nine o clock show is a bit too ‘pink’ for this poster.

Not my style….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Courtney is not exactly Terry Wogan, or even Tubs, but he’s far better than the truly awful Callan. The only thing funny about Callan is how truly awful he is.

Don’t know what the bigwigs out in Montrose are thinking, but they need to drop that lad asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Listened in this morning. Brendan Courtney did pretty okay. Not a patch on a seasoned pro like Tubridy but was absolutely streets ahead of Callan.

Courtney more naturally funny and affable than Callan who tries far too hard to be funny and just comes across as smug and incredibly bitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭its_steve116

It's mad how many big RTÉ names have been lost to commercial stations over the years:

*Ian Dempsey - Today FM

*Gareth O'Callaghan - Classic Hits

*Pat Kenny - Newstalk

*Ryan Tubridy - Q102/Virgin UK

*Ray D'Arcy - Today FM (later rejoined RTÉ)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,108 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Over how many years? So not mad at all.

And one came back, so 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭squonk

Just started listening to the she the last day or two. The interview now with the Dachau tour guide is great. He’s doing a great job I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭squonk

Another day listening to Brendan. I think a positive development more is having two interviewees on the show. I think the callers are more interesting as well. Tubbs I remember either had some author or actor but the guests bite seen much more normal. I think Brendan is working harder for Joss money than Tubbs too as there isn’t as much of the oul’ guff about who he beer sauntering around dun laoghaire or what it said in the papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭bobbyss

That's an interesting one. I don't know anything abut the station he has signed up with. Is it music/news or what? But I would be interested to look at the figures when(if) they do come out.

But he craves attention that I do know. Lecturing us on reading and what reading is all about. His Instagrams are full of 'Look at me' Look what I am doing now! Look where I landed now. Amn't I great kind of thing.

Brendan is actually fairly good at it. Operating at a different level to the dreadful Oliver Callan - a man with no discernible sense of humour and a quite extraordinary sense of self-satisfaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Seems the Toy Man has found a new career as a vigilante.

And nobody took him serious when he said he'd break legs!

Hello Brendan here and welcome to a packed programme this morning.

What kind of socks do you wear? Do you go for comfort over style or is price the determining factor? Ian reports.

Also M&S had a new Spring preview last night and I went along to see what was on offer.

Russell will be joining us later and telling is how to keep warm this winter.

Dermot Bannon will be telling is about what clothes he brought on his recent holiday in LA.

Finally, where to get the best bargains for your Christmas decorations. We talk to Bert, a Moore Street trader, who is giving away a roll of tinsel with every euro spent!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

That's a big improvement on his output so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,044 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Courtney is a by word for bland. When he is on I lose concentration…not good for an avid radio man.

Lacemaking today with Brendan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Marty Whelan moving to Century was the first big one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,957 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Shay Byrne doing the first couple of weeks in January. Strange choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭Red Fred

He has filled in for Ray D'Arcy few times, so not unfamiliar territory to him. Derek Mooney has also covered this slot during Tub's reign and he might be a fit with a " reboot" of The Mooney Show.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

So bakhurst says they've picked someone for the 9 am slot. All to be revealed soon.

Reading back through the posts I think I saw mention of how two presenters seemed a good thing and I agree. But only as long as they're interested in interviewing and listening to the guest not going off on their own 'hunour' or 'talent'.

Well we'll see who emerges soon enough .

• Advertisement

I like him. However I wonder about this opening monologue they all engage in. I always thought it was just a self serving exercise just to get themselves more air time (me time). I think they should just scrap it and get on with the programme.

Courtney was very poor at this. Picking up bits and pieces from the Daily Mail as if they were of real interest. He came across as shallow, a bluffer and superficial when doing this.

The Daily Heil has no place in Ireland, or anywhere for that matter.

Shay Byrne would be an excellent shout if they decide to not go outside the Montrose stable.

Neither Callan or Courtney are good enough.

I wouldn't be too confident with Shay doing serious interviews. He's grand with the music and chat but he is a bit of a smartass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Tubridy wasnt "lost" to commercial radio....he was given the boot.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

I notice they've called it "The Colm Ó Mongáin Show" in the listings today. Maybe he's going to be the permanent one 🤔.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,415 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yes I noticed that and Colm gives the full contact speel at the start as well - own email address etc.

And does a good enough job going by what I heard. Maybe time for Claire to move on?

• Registered Users Posts: 67,044 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭CFlat

It would be good to hear Sean O Rourke back on the radio again. He's a talented broadcaster.

• Advertisement
Advertisement