Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Radio 1: The 9 O Clock Show hosted by Various Megathread

Options
  • 11-09-2023 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I guess the show needs it's own thread. The plan is that Oliver Callen, Brendan Courtney and couple of other tba hosts will do it will into the winter. It very much looks like the vacancy is left open for Tubs to return.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Of course, RTÉ has emphasised that Tubridy's absence is for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

That’s ridiculous in fairness. He’s a contractor. You don’t find most private companies moving Pele arid a position just to Keri it open just so a golden boy contractor can come back.

is doing a good job but her voice kind of grates on me a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I caught the last few minutes of Maura Derrane in the chair this morning.

A rushed interview with a paralympian that was cut even shorter for an ad break.

She wouldn't be on my shortlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Kim_Lee

Surely if RTE is to become a more streamlined slimmed down broadcaster, The 9am hour show must go? You wouldn't find such a short program on Newatalk or TodayFM, Just put CB on 9 till Midday, or 9 till 11:30 with Louise 11:30 to 1, or with how grossly over staffed morning Ireland is extend it to 10am and do something new/creative with the extra hour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭RINO87

Found it fairly dull this morning...now I had mostly avoided this show when Courtney was in, but I do enjoy tuning in for Oliver's first 25 mins or that, so I said I'd check out Maura, but it was heavy going. Now she did mention that she does have trouble sleeping, which is fair enough....but why accept a show that requires you to be relatively sharp and bright early enough in the day then?

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Maura seems to have got her foot in the door just before the recruitment ban

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Heard her for the first five minutes this morning. She seems to doing this monologue thing also as RT and others did. It is just waffle and nonsense.

I wonder are presenters required to do this blabbing on for twenty or so? I like her as a presenter but she seemed unsure of herself and sounded much less confident than when she's on the telly. I think she just forget about the dumb monologues and just get on with the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

Maybe the rotating presenter thing is just keeping the show warm until they revamp the schedule? Definitely if KB wants to cut costs then she if the shorter shows might need to go. To me this always seemed like a vanity slot for Tubbs as TLLS presenter always had a radio presence. Gay could carry an entire morning show easily. PK the same with his later morning political spot. Tubbs couldn’t but as it seemed to be the convention to have TLLS presenter in radio too it seemed like giving him an hour where he couldn’t do much harm was the way to go.

Seems like a holding position while on high dictate a way forward. It’s also possible that Callan and Courtney might not want to commit to a likely dead duck show for an unspecified period. I’m sure they have more to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yesterday it was about that she's an insomniac but one of her staff gave her a wonderful cure....... a bit of exercise!!

This morning, gushing about some young fella called Mescale, she's 53..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,992 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Now Maura is the frontrunner for the position apparently? After 3 shows?

https://extra.ie/2023/09/13/entertainment/celebrity/maura-derrane-ryan-tubridy-radio

She wouldn't be with NKM by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭head82

Missed the show this morning ('missed' is probably the wrong description.. 'deliberately avoided' would be more apt).

How many times did she say 'fabulous'?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

rapturous response apparently, sounds like the tired same old same old to me.

1st time listened to Maura from the off, and she is definitely a rambler.

Keeps repeating herself as if you have just joined in, by saying "I was just saying earlier how ......." but if you've been listening from the start, it's a little annoying.

Keeps saying "when I grew up on the island", and I keep picturing The Village from the M. Night Shyamalan film!!

• Registered Users Posts: 66,870 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

She has grown in confidence as the week has gone on.

Definitely in the Tubridy babble mould.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

At least she can keep the dialogue straight.

Tried a few more times this week, but she's just not for me, I find it pretty bad to be honest.

Callan far more suited to the Role IMO, which means he probably wont get it!

I never noticed Maura mention it, but is the show coming from Cork? Would have thought they would be down there this week rehearsing for the Today show. In fact does she live down there, or does she travel each day for the Today show? The mileage allowance would have been good there, and it's likely gone now!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,908 ✭✭✭thesandeman

She's taking a hiatus from the Today Show while she's doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭its_steve116

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

I wanted to give her a chance. But jesus RTE have missed a trick here.

While I wasn't a fan of tubs. This is complete and utter dross.

I'd rather the slot left open for college interns for a bit of experience than this rubbish.

At the very least you have to sound engaged. Tubridy's fault was a simple one, he sounded false and over engaged, which grates intensely with me. So much so, I navigated elsewhere.

Maura seems to lack engagement and I switch off with her.

Ya its pretty bad...gave it three goes now and its just not happening. As an aside I was in the supermarket there this morning and Maura was on the cover of 3 "glossy's" beside the till, so it seems the PR machine is already in motion.

Callan was excellent in this slot, in my opinion.

Callan certainly the best of the 3 stand-ins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

If they've any sense they'll give him the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I don't know would Maura would be up working a five day week.

Originally with the Today show she did four days.

Monday - Thursday. The Friday Show is prerecorded on a Thursday evening.

Then Sinead started doing Monday's and Tuesday's.

Maura then was doing Wednesdays and Thursday.

She is covering Sinead's maternity leave now.(I think there stuck to get somebody to cover it).

When Sinead had the last baby they tried five or six people in the slot before giving it to Emer O'Neill.

Maura is always on Magazines.

You'd wonder is he actually looking for the full time gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

That did cross my mind actually.

Maura was chatting about the TV show Bad Sisters this morning, and said that she was told it was "brilliantly brilliant".

Outdoing Tubs with her strange use of words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Heard her this morning. I's ok Maura. You don't HAVE TO do that monologue thingy. Just get on with the programme and talk to some guests. They maybe more interesting than your comings and goings.

Advertisement