Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Radio 1: The 9 O Clock Show hosted by Various Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66,870 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Sorry to say, Brendan Courtney is now receiving the same treatment in this house as Tubridy. RTE down one listener to this slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,991 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yeah, very rarely listen now. The stand ins aren't much good.

Only Oliver Callan makes it listenable.

MD was very amateurish, and fed up hearing about Brendans dog and the fact that he loves dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

Not very good this morning - maybe she'll find her stride, but far too many ums and ers and talking over her interviewee. RTE need to work out how to use that slot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

She has a very odd delivery style - takes a deep breath, starts talking with emphasis on the first word, keeps going till she runs out of puff, takes another deep breath, emphasises the first word, keeps going . . . . No reference to or respect for the meaning of what she's saying. It is almost impossible to listen to (is she reading words off a cue?) - stuck it out for over five minutes today because the cat was on my lap and I didn't want to disturb her, but eventually puss had to go.

Not good radio. Maura Derrane was irritating but also engaging in a perky under-researched way. This woman - not right for the medium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

Haven’t listened but while I see a point in having a few weeks off alternating presenters for singer coverage or where there is an issue finding a permanent placement, I don’t see the point in turning a a prime time morning slot on a national radio station as a work experience gig for various staffers.

Im assuming Maura, Ciara etc are all qualified in communications which is fine and I suppose we all gravitate to with areas within our qualified field that we feel best suit us. It’s great though to get out if the comfort zone after a while but, for a lot of us, it means doing out of when courses and using that to help out where needed in work, but you don’t throw someone interested in exploring other areas in their career path straight into the high profile project to let them learn in the cauldron. They’ll be crsp and it’s not their fault really. It’s disrespectful to the listeners to have to put up with this instead of a full time qualified host with relevant experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Radio5

Who is presenting now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭RINO87

Oliver has been in this week. I didn't catch him mentioning how long for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Caught 5 minutes of Callan’s tiresome blather while queuing for my coffee this morning. Why does he talk out of his nose? The guy is a worse broadcaster than he is an impressionist (which is absolutely awful btw).

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Paterson Jerins

Right on doc. Good to have you back.

I remember if anything negative was said about the previous presenter Ryan, the 3amigos would be along to moan and report!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

This man speaking about his Prostate cancer is excellent.

Daithi on this morning flogging a hair transplant business. You could not make this up.

The bould Daithi got his very expensive procedure for free he told us. He was then appointed 'Brand Ambassador' he didn't say if he is paid for this post but did add he's on contract with RTE and he got the go ahead from the Skipper.

If he turns up on the LLS with this cure for baldness roadshow I'll have lost all faith in RTE and it's future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭Tow

Did Daithi say anything about declaring the new head of hair to the Revenue?

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 rdser

Disgraceful giving Dairhi airtime to work as a brand ambassador for his plugs. Their explanation that they weren't promoting anything is waffle. It's clearly promoting the Bons Secours balding treatment.

Didn't hear the words Tax or Revenue mentioned caller.

Can I mention again he had his treatment carried out for free. He didn't pay a single euro...zilch.

Not yer ol' common practice of No foal No fee or in this case No hair No fee. No money changed hands for the treatment itself as he said this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,060 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Another example of the culture which seems to be ‘well baked in’ out in Montrose….get as much as you can for nothing.

A lot of the arrogance is still in evidence out there despite the issues recently highlighted.

Not much seems to be changing this poster would opine.

For sure, its ingrained in a lot of them I'd say, cos they are who they are.

Nothing summed it up more than the freebies list that was displayed on here of everything Tubs got sent , for free. It was HUGE.

This 'Brand Ambassador' crack seems to be taking hold especially out in Montrose.

Now I know its not new but one would wonder how many of the 'liggerati'class out in RTE are involved.

Is there BIK involved? What does it entail?Does it involve using the national airwaves to sublimely pimp the product?

Who is at it?

Even the panel on the Sunday game were getting clothed by some firmest been reported.

Seems like a bit of a ditch that needs to be dug out and tidied up.

Poor Pat is being ridden ragged here it would appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

I wonder what John Q Taxpayer would have to say about it.

• Advertisement

Wouldn’t be too impressed Breener, I’d say with a fair degree of certainty.

I was half thinking of putting myself forr’ad for ‘Brand Ambassador’ for ‘Argus 8.5 beer’.

Could be worth a slab or two for the grey fridge.

”Good strong beverage, bit of a leg buckler, but gives a bang for your buck’

Hows about that for a strap line?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Leaving aside the fact that it was basically a 35 minute advert for the musical.....but I really enjoyed that interview with Pete Waterman. Callan just let him talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Proves exactly what we suspected over the years....Tubridy made listeners actively turn their dial after Morning Ireland...he is that reviled....

I always said any monkey following Morning Ireland would do a better job of pulling in listeners....

Where are the tubridy acolytes now claiming their nonsense about tubridys 'pulling power' deserving his disgustingly overinflated fees?

This is the final nail in the coffin for any return for the DLB....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭techman1

Everything gone very quiet regarding Tubridy and his future prospects. Ever since Patrick kielty took over the LLS the media focus left Tubridy. If he doesn't get a new job very soon he will be yesterdays man as a media personality. I think all the social media posts from him in late summer were about keeping his profile up there when he was looking for a new job. However he didn't secure anything in time before kielty took the limelight away

• Registered Users Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Was there something about an upcoming podcast series?

Seems a bit of a step-down for a man that RTE had to through shedloads of money at to prevent him from being poached by BBC, CNN, LBC, etc. 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

Ah here! DLB will be taking over Graham Norton’s show on the BBC in the new year now they can finally get a higher calibre just than Graham 😀

• Advertisement

Another rumour this morning he is getting a job on Virgin radio in the UK.

I'll believe it when I see it

Advertisement