Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2024 **No Ticket Sales / Requests** - Waiting in line, terrible time, over familiar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Gary_dunne

We may not like it as a headliner but Kylie could easily be down as the legends slot at Glastonbury. I'd argue that she's bigger than Shania Twain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

For a second I thought this was posting some advanced timetable for this year's show and I was thinking "hang on, this isn't too bad, how did I not see these earlier"

Is it all Kylie fans?

Good for them anyway, I'm glad to hear that there are people who are excited to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Sweevn

Post-Party, Inhaler, Easy Life, E&TB and Girl in Red would all be top class compared to everything below the headliners.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭gkhant

My history with EP went from 2012 - 2018, which was an epically terrific weekend to finish on and the one where I probably saw the most music even if it did mean forcing people to sprint from one spot to the other to catch the likes of St. Vincent, Hak Baker and The Blaze (my big discovery that year)… and I still missed loads!

I knew it was time to move on then as you could see who the festival was changing and going for a different demographic, this is just natural as we get a tad more mature (ahem!). I still get tickets on the off chance that something amazing appears on the lineup. The headliners are always going to be a mixed bag, but usually the mid-tier would attract me, and I'd find plenty there to look forward to or discover.

When I saw this line-up I thought it was a spoof at first, and even the mid-tier has nothing in particular to grab me.

Regardless, if you go you will have a blast as you always do and there will (presumably!) be additions that will be recommended and thoroughly enjoyed.

It seems though, that this lineup has really pushed people overboard with EP, especially here, where I see a lot of posters and diehard attenders, whose wit, cynicism and realism I enjoy on these threads saying enough. That really is a damning indictment of this 'lineup'.

Anyhoo, above is a very long-winded way of saying I put my tickets up on TM Resale and they went in less than three minutes!!

This lineup is a joy for someone out there, quite a lot of peeps it seems (the weirdos)…

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I agree. I enjoyed my weekends at EP but I have zero interest in ever going back. 2017 was my last.

People who want what EP was ten years ago need to look at Beyond the Pale and All Together Now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Lamb and Thumper on the B&S that evening, Strokes on the main. No great complaints from me until it got a bit bare in 2022 but then improved in 2023. This August however……

I know that many of you will still be going and I’ll be following the reports here. Have a blast and may the gods bestow on you some unexpected musical pleasures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Wooderson

I always respected your hopes that the midcard would elevate matters. Sorry to see my worst fears realised. For record I think we're also out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Probably July before we get another announcement and the additional stages?

Might just spend the weekend building stuff in Greencrafts area

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭Fanirish

yeah, he sold 30,000 for Belfast the other week in an hour.

• Advertisement

yeah all the headliners are popular enough to be headliners. Kylie minogue has done multiple nights at 3 arena over the years. Only did one night on last tour here as that album is not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

Kylie Minogue only did 1 night on the last 2 tours according to setlist

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Jesus that is a grim poster, condolences to the hardcore who must be left very disappointed. Never went for tickets this year and my last one was in 2019 and I think I can say now that will be my last (although was scouring around for a cheapo ticket on the Saturday last year due to the weather!).

Kylie IMO is a great headliner to get, but there are probably only 3-4 other acts I'd go to on that poster which is by a significant distance the lowest number ever, pre-covid you'd normally get at least 10+ you'd really like to see, post-covid has been fairly crap tbh. It looks like a lineup Longitude would have booked when that started to become predominantly a festival for those still in secondary school.

Looking at the top 6 from the first year I went to now.

2013: Arctic Monkeys, Bjork, Fatboy Slim, Robert Plant, My Bloody Valentine, Two Door Cinema Club
    2014: Outkast, Beck, Portishead, Foals, Pet Shop Boys, Paolo Nutini
    2015: Florence, Blur, Sam Smith, Underworld, Grace Jones, Manic Street Preachers
    2016: LCD, Lana Del Rey, Sam Smith, New Order, Noel Gallagher, The 1975
    2017: The XX, A Tribe Called Quest, Duran Duran, Pete Tong, Elbow, Phoenix
    2018: Kendrick Lamar, Massive Attack, The Prodigy, NERD, Picture This, Dua Lipa
    2019: The Strokes, Florence, Billie Eilish, The 1975, Hozier, Christine & the Queens

2022: Arctic Monkeys, Tame Impala, Picture This, Dermot Kennedy, Megan the Stallion, Snow Patrol
    2023: Billie Eilish, Fred Again, The Killers, Niall Horan, Paolo Nutini, The Script
    2024: Kylie, Noah Kahan, Calvin Harris, Gerry Cinnamon, Raye, Kodaline

There have been ups and downs but there is no denying there is a clear demise there from it's peak years (many would argue this comes way prior to 2013!) to now. Most years you could at least understand why they've booked certain acts to headline even if they weren't to your taste but now it is just simply lowest common denominator **** for the most part. Getting rid of Other Voices, Body & Soul probably amongst others I'm forgetting along with Casa Bacardi this year by the looks of it. They have completely deserted their hardcore fanbase and have basically changed the festival entirely to cater for their new desired crowd.

I think it will eventually come back to bite them. Eventually it will become uncool to go and the kids will stop and they won't have the numbers of loyal fans/regulars to support them. Sad really because I do genuinely think it was the greatest festival I've been to. I've probably checked these threads more regularly than anything else on the internet over the past 10 years despite not even going the last couple, it will be sad when the regulars here completely stop attending. I feel that day is fast approaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Paddy2012

FR know how to book big acts, the lineup is clearly a result of cost cutting. The ticket money is over €15 million (75k x 200), they've obviously pocketed a fair share of that.

2 nights in 2011, 5 nights in 2005. Very much a legend and her Glastonbury legend slot got enormous audience both in person and on tv/streamed. Sure everyone’s mother could probably name 3 or 4 Kylie songs

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

And Jo Jo Siwa sold out the 3 arena in 2019.

Is she big enough to headline?

Kylie is big, I get that. But is a novelty act, and shouldn't be headlining the largest festival in Ireland.

Kodaline shouldn't be headlining a community center gig these days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Its almost like they threw all their cash into reading and leeds using the comfort money of an EP sellout.

I don’t think what she did in 2011 or 2005 matters, she’s a very poor headliner in 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mgkelly

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Paddy2012

Kylie and Calvin Harris are big acts but not as big as they were while Noah Kahan just doesn't have enough material to be a headliner (unless he's only playing for an hour).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Don't give a sh1t I would still kick him in the balls.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Not saying she wasn’t bigger back in the day but as I said, poor in 2024.

Noah Kahans shows are around 20 songs long, he’ll be fine for length

padam padam was massive hit across europe and america. Ubiquitous in the summer to an annoying degree.
    when was last time liam Gallagher, noel Gallagher, foo fighters, snow patrol or the killers have a hit song? They are all treading on albums or songs from 2 decades ago.
    she will have enormous crowd at EP and people will be singing along knowing the words to half a dozen of her songs. What more do you want from a headliner. She has more hits that all the other headliners combined

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Hasn't Kylie had a number one song in 5 different decades. Crazy stat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

She's got approaching nearly 4 decades of hits, she last sold out the point in 2019.

You might not like her but the woman is not a novelty act and very much headline level.

Liam Gallagher, Foo Fighters and The Killers all far bigger than Kylie Minogue, lol. Course she’ll have a big crowd, there’s no one else to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

Really? She's the epitome of novelty act in my eyes?

She played the legends slot at Glastonbury, and that's the absolute right level for her.

I'm looking forward to seeing her. I'm just saying she shouldn't be headlining.

She'll be great fun, but a 7pm slot would be perfect for her

Would you be happy if Cher or Britney Spears, or Lionel Richie or Robbie Williams we're headlining this Year?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Williams, Spears? they would certainly be top tier headliner acts if picked and I will die on that hill.

Would i prefer different ones? Of course but I'm not a booker

The other too would probably cost too much and likely wouldn't be as known to the under 30s, Richie is pure yank cringe anyway.

Post edited by scruff monkey on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭tinpib

Like a lot of people I'm fairly out of touch with things. Have never heard of half of the festivals on now, checked out Beyond the Pale just there, holy sh!t that is a dream line up for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

You're delusional if you think one of the biggest pop stars in the world ever is going to play a little Irish festival and not headline. I'm amazed she's even bothered doing it at all.

If the bookers for EP asked her team if she'd play at 7pm in the afternoon they would have gotten laughed at.

Advertisement