Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2024 **No Ticket Sales / Requests** - Waiting in line, terrible time, over familiar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Lynnington3

They’re playing in Europe 16th and 17th August so not likely

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Fanirish

I’d say the sponsorship cost for such a massive/prime location was enormous. Melvin probably looked for higher fee or decided to split the space into two or three pitches to sell to other brands to make more money.
    Hennessy is a Diageo brand so might be another spirit company instead taking the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Musicrules

White claw should be renamed as sh1te claw.

I think my booking at the comedy tent should be secure with wise cracks like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭dav09

Possibly. I forgot the Diageo connection I think they own a 3rd, LVMH own the rest not sure how that would go down with Heineken true. The only obvious one is Pernod Ricard, do an Absolut stage or multiple of their brands but there are others too.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭MsMojave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭thebronze14

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭darzog

In the absence of well, anything… here’s my love letter to the middle-order. Stillill started me on this reverie with his Aaron Lee Tasjan talk! I do realise that many of these acts (a) no longer gig or tour / have broken up (b) haven’t played outside North America since Reagan was in charge, or (c) dead (maybe). So I will be taking no further questions at this time.

To be hummed to the tune of ‘These are a few of my favourite things’

Pugwash on one stage, and Goat on another

Russell from Sparks with his strange older brother.

Regina Spektor reigning supreme

These are a few of my festival dreams.

Bill Ryder-Jones and Wild Billy Childish

The lads from Red Kross looking terribly stylish.

Fiona Apple doing her thing

These are just some of my feverish dreams.

Kyle Craft emerging from semi-retirement

Tindersticks blinding set in the Cosby tent

Deerhoof and Oh Sees and Daddy Long Legs

An opening slot from The Lovely Eggs…..

Hellacopters band,

Eels and Smog and…

When I’m feeling sad

I simply remember these cheese dreams I have

Then I don’t feel so bad

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭Penfailed

DIIV supporting Fontaines. I'd like to see them at EP.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I don't think selling out next year is a fait accompli, but like I said, I think ultimately it will mostly come down to what the acts they've booked are like and the overall feeback on the festival itself this year (as in, whether people who attended generally had a good time and would want to return), it's just that I think the delay in announcing is becoming more of a net negative than a positive PR-wise. They sold out completely with nothing at all announced this year, which shows that people generally trust the organisers will be able to book something great to make it worth the cost of admission (by "great" here, I mean by the standards of the general public who will buy most of the 70k tickets, which are probably not the exact same thing as what most posters in this thread would want to see).

If they don't deliver then the public probably won't give them the same benefit of the doubt going forward. Ironically, it would make sense that selling the full whack early this year would have given them more ability to get their ducks in a row compared to normal. At least with ticket revenue, there's a lot less ambiguity than if you can't be certain how many you'll sell after the spring announcement. May have resulted in more complacency too though since they don't have to impress anyone enough to sell some more tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Melvin can't sell out Reading. For the 2nd year in a row. This gravy train doesnt run on fumes.

• Advertisement

reading and Leeds are far leaner operations, only a handful of stages in comparison to EP and festival republic made £12 profit in 2022 and its parent company LN Gaiety made £35m profit.

its been selling out on pre Christmas releases for a few years now, it’s the only festival a large amount population would even contemplate attending.
    I think they will deliver a line up that will please a lot of ticket holders, they know who sells tickets in ireland and have been canny last few years in a collection of acts that suit the most casual of listeners.
    If boards regulars don’t return I’m sure there will be 10x looking to snap up.
    as much as people are complaining about glasto this year I’m sure it will similarly sell out in a flash next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Very good/. I saw DIIV in Vicar Street couple of weeks ago. I had never heard of them.

I really enjoyed the gig. Very guitar driven. With quiet vocals, that are almost inaudible live. The vast expanse of 3Arena might be a bit much for them. Also, considering there will be a few hundred bare-chested Fontaines fans up the front in eager anticipation of beating the shlte out of each other when Fontaines hit the stage, the mellow trippy vibes of DIIV may go over their heads.

FYI DIIV are not supporting Fontaines in ireland. Only on the London show. It’s the band sorry on all dates including Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭glennponder

Plus I don't think the line up is the biggest selling factor for existing EP goers, they are returning IMO due to the overall experience which is first class, it's an extremely well run festival that has a great safe vibe to it, the amount of whinging done on here year after year about the state of the line up but who doesn't have a fantastic weekend at the end of it? The instant sell out is due to it being a good brand....if there's a drop in standards or the clientele going leans more on the toerag side of the fence....that'll shift the masses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Sure, but that's on the back of having put on festivals that are consistently enjoyed by ticket buyers. All it takes is one or two mediocre years for that to start slipping. If they get some big acts that regular punters are drawn to like you predict then I agree it won't be a problem, even if it includes the likes of Noah Kahan and the Boards set aren't happy about it. But I think I also just feel a bit worried that it's getting to be late enough in the season that if the acts aren't nailed down pretty soon then FR is going to have to try and just go forward with some top-line acts that wouldn't have been their first choices. I don't doubt at all that they know which acts would do well, it's more a case of wondering if they managed to actually get those acts or have negotiations gone worse than normal this year and they lost out on some of the acts they were trying to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

…..

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

By reading between lines of that RTE report sounds like they were missing one headliner. Last year the missing headliner situation happened in June when Lewis Capaldi cancelled and they announced his replacement a month later with Paulo nutini so was of similar calibre and a massively popular act here.
    As said previously there can be half a dozen reasons why the announcement is being later than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Your bang on there, don't really give a fiddlers who's playing, I'd like to hear Diplo play Anthem live with a guest appearance by M.I.A during the set, that's about it for my requests anything else is a bonus, love just ending up at random gigs, rarely look at set times.

Going for the giggles and to party with my friends, hard to believe we'll be 20yrs at it now.

You would justify them announcing the line up the Monday after the event chief. "Makes perfect sense." etc

/joke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

there may not be ‘major’ changes for the Trailer Park. Just one response from one artist discussing alterations. It’s hard to see what they could do with it. I’d prefer some FR focus on doing more with the Body and Soul area which feels kinda empty now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Yeah, I wasn't there last year so can't comment on that, I felt it was a MASSIVE loss in 2022, really felt like the heart had been ripped out of the place. Seemed crazy to me that they already had the template and decided not to use it. It was just a throughway, that beautiful stage and amphitheatre adrift in the middle of nothing as opposed to being the heart of it's own cool little world. Musically at least it sounds like it made a recovery last year, hopefully they get the structure right this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Stillill42

This Is true @Fanirish. Is there anything that Melvin could do that you would actually denounce? Just allow yourself to exist as a punter for a bit.

nah but from friends involved in picnic and other festivals there is always half a dozen things that need to be in place for festival announcements and sometimes it’s just a waiting game for promoters

I used to spend a fair bit of chill out time in the Body and Soul, and always after the main arena had shut. Great for coffee or taking a break and looking at installations, etc. Now in the space between the Croi stage (superb curation by Cian Finn last year) and Mindfield they seem to have done nothing. We’ve lost the stage where the Mother DJs used to end our weekends, another couple of smaller stages, some cafes, etc. It just seems a little lifeless, but it’s probably pretty irrelevant to current FR thinking. I’d love Avril & Co back but that’s never going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭Penfailed

...and they called the area 'Croí' last year, so they put the heart back into it...

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Phishwax

DIIV were great at ATN a couple of years back

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭dav09

Nas tour announced today, no tour dates in Ireland, in London on the weekend of EP. We really are our own worst enemies on this thread getting excited for things that probably won't happen.

• Advertisement

They shoo' in!

He was ace the last time. Bizarre scheduling late afternoon tho.

Advertisement