Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2024 **No Ticket Sales / Requests** - Waiting in line, terrible time, over familiar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Event has been deactivated I found. This and the non announcement will add to the noise behind electric picnic not going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭endainoz

Only if people are dumb enough to believe this noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

tickets on sale next week, wonder if it sold well or sold out would they be added to the picnic

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭haitens

A Guy I work with does it every year, he told me this morning its been cancelled.

Just tried to go on funding page and it's been deactivated.

Shame the Tour isn't taking place this year might be something to do with the festival taking place 2 weeks earlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭corm500

Guys, there is no way they are going to cancel a sold out festival.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Has this changed recently though? Last year the initial announcement didn't include The Killers, The Script, or Paolo Nutini, which were a mix of eventual headliners and subheadliners. It did include Lewis Capaldi who dropped out later (not sure if Nutini was brought in to replace him) but I don't think it was seen as egg on the face of the organisers that he had to drop out after being announced. Even the second big announcement didn't include The Script who were blurred out on the initial poster.

In 2018 they announced with just Kendrick Lamar, NERD, and Massive Attack. Two of those (Kendrick and MA) were later placed as headliners and NERD were a subheadliner, and then the The Prodigy were added as a third headliner with Picture This added as second subheadliner. Exact scheduling presumably isn't finalised until much closer to the date itself when they announce that. Even saying who is playing which night is not something they've always put up on the poster (a quick look back shows that 2020, 2019, 2018 and 2016 all left it off on the poster announcement).

Which leads me to think that with no announcements at all news at this point, they either don't even have the contracts signed for 3 of their top-line acts, or else they have 3 but they're 3 who will be subheadliners bordering on Tier 2 acts and they think it would be an underwhelming initial announcement when people generally expect at least 1 pretty big name on a partial announcement (like a Kendrick Lamar or Billie Eilish).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Fanirish

they aren’t playing picnic. 3 arena show(s) only Irish show(s) this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭Wooderson

They would have had all the headliners locked in last year before Christmas but only announced a few of them. You need to keep some headliners for the spring main announcement. Think even EP mentioned that Paulo nutini being last minute swap for Lewis capaldi.
    The reason the Script were blurred and only revealed close to the picnic was the illness and death of their guitarist. Think they mentioned that there were playing it by ear to see if they would be able to play hence the blurring. I’m sure Melvin etc had a back up in case which might have been Paulo for that night instead.

exact stage scheduling is part of the contract negotiation and agreement done for big acts before Christmas. The exact show length and what order is legally binding i.E an act headlining electric arena will have in the contract that they are headlining that stage and billing on poster will be agreed with agent.
    It could very well be that they have 5 out of 6 acts, have offers out to multiple artists for last slot and which one takes it might need to be moved to headliner and then they have to renegotiate with one of the 5 to move them down a slot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I'm just saying it's not a great stategy even from that perspective. When you want to sell tickets to next year's festival, having national news reporting that many members of the audience are getting worried about it even happening isn't a great look image to put out. Even if the headline is the organisers re-assuring people that it is happening, it's still putting the idea in the heads of people who otherwise wouldn't have noticed that maybe it is going to be cancelled (in the same way Joe Soap isn't going to want headlines saying "Joe Soap denies beating his wife"). I don't see it as a deliberate stategic move on the marketing team's part so much as trying to do damage control for grumbling ticketholders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Could not give a hoot about headlier acts at this stage. Hopefully the announcement gives us a good 20 to 30 acts to filter through....that is where my focus is.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭dav09

I am getting worried the way things are heading. So Tour De Picnic looks cancelled, difficulty getting bookings and obviously there is a problem with this which is concerning this time of year, major Trailer Park changes incoming, no announcement. Tour De Picnic was a huge part of their marketing, as was their lineup, announcements, press events, etc. Sounds like a serious mess up this year with a bunch of things I hope doesn't set precedent for the festival, obviously minor things in the grand scheme but collectively not a great look. It sounds of a team who are complacent with the fact they think it will just sell out every year by doing the minimum, which is never the case for festivals, the rumors are not good for them and I thought they'd want to quash them ASAP the easiest way to put out some sort of a lineup, hopefully it's not the case, obviously still going ahead.

All the festival needs is unsavoury craic to start at the festival (predictable enough given booking policy) to go along with the japes theyre pulling with this bizarre self-own comms approach and theyre looking at Reading sales levels.

Bacardi area is gone too. So main arena will do be getting a shake up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭rubick

Dingle Gin Palace area incoming.

I think people on here are overestimating the negative feedback on the delays and tour de Picnic (seemingly gone). End of day once they announce line up the general ticket holding public will probably be happy and EP 2025 will sell out insta fly when it goes on sale in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭endainoz

Poster above yours was referring to tour de picnic I believe.

Snarky Snark Snark

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭Stillill42

• Advertisement

Wow, although I don't think it's a bad thing, has been fairly dreadful the past few years. Probably sponsorship changed to Pernod Ricard/Irish distillers or LVMH. Wouldn't be too surprised if they did a Hip Hop area with mostly Irish acts instead with LVMH/Hennessy like Body & Soul given that's gone and their hip hop connections or some other company.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭Stillill42

I mean if you told me the Bacardi area was being expanded to encompass the whole festival, basically one big Bacardi area pumping out mega hits and neon shots all weekend then yeah, sure, that's believable.

Snarky Snark Snark

I despise the Bacardi area but it is very popular, would assume it's being replaced by a similar setup somewhere?

That's a lot of footfall to cover right enough. Some decent DJs latterly but not a great draw for me.

Their main headliner Route 94 cancelled last minute at Bacardi I think last year, a bit of a disaster. Also I don't remember White Claw at EP, but Bacardi is gone off the site and White Claw is added, possibly something around that incoming as they're a main sponsor now. Would probably drop into that area.

White Claw were there in Sept. Over by Rankins Wood.

others noted a few weeks ago that Bacardí have been scrubbed off the updated EP website as a sponsor/partner and pretty sure a poster confirmed that it’s gone through a friend who was involved in it over the years.

Lot of weight on the word "probably" there. Reading will "probably" sell out too I spose.

Thanks for this, I was nearly sure I tried it at EP last year but it wouldn't be the first time I hallucinated novelty drinks.

• Advertisement

It's the type of thing to go right over your head from the taste alone, not surprised I didnt notice it lol.

Advertisement