Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2024 **No Ticket Sales / Requests** - Waiting in line, terrible time, over familiar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

Don’t see any reason to why Fontaines were ever definitely booked for it, their summer run has had them quite unlikely since the middle of February when Pukkelpop was announced.

Don't see why Lana would cancel either, assume she’s a package deal with R+L and she hasn’t done a proper show (for her size) here for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Fanirish

a headliner can have cancelled for a half a dozen reasons, illness, pregnancy, rehab, court case, Album delays or better offer elsewhere months after their agent tentatively agreed to EP last year.
    shit happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Bad reviews for week 2 could have her rattled, could just cancel her entire euro tour. I mean doesn't she have form for that from previous touring. May be wrong of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭dav09

She wasn't wasnt that bad in fairness Coachella is a difficult one for a lot of acts, ask blur and countless other acts, she is always hit and miss anyway. If they had 6 mediocre headliners I'd take spending the money on 10-12 great tier 2s. Would make a much better festival overall if they can't attract the headliners rather than 6 mediocre ones, like in 2019 they had 4.

Denzel Curry, Two Door Cinema Clubs, The Prodigy, Skrillex (just announced for 3 days in 3 counties so still very possible), Nia Archives all playing R&L the following week and their fee together would probably be less than a headliner. Throw in Justice or The Blaze too. Availability on some at this stage questionable.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭glennponder

If there is an actual huge act that EP was moved for, Nearly afraid to suggest this, but wouldn't playing irelands biggest ever and most established festival on it's 20th anniversary be right up bono's Street, he'd love that sh1t in a giving it back to the people sort of way....cost wouldn't necessarily be a factor if they wanted to do it, am sure they'd settle for a half mil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Musicrules

They're trying to get ACDC to do a set. The last chance to get him. Unlikely to happen.

lol u2 been about the money for decades. They were getting €2m a night for vegas, don’t see them heading to stradbally.
    also have u2 even played a festival since Glastonbury over a decade ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'd much prefer to see Diplo appear he knows how to get Coachella going. Might even bring a few line dancers keep the Monaghan lads happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭dav09

Might not have seen but some really bad allegations going around the past few years unfortunately. Incl people on from people in the industry. A lot of people don't work with him anymore it seems Jack U broke up too (thankfully, dreadful music)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭Stillill42

That flimflam article has made it to the top of the RTE news feed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

pure click bait attracting the guppies as intended

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭haitens

Tour de Picnic cancelled anyone know why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭rubick

Ah, bitta the old Marketing. Delay the line-up announcement, wait until the click-bait sites have generated enough traction so that it makes National 'news', everyone's talking about it without having to do a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭glennponder

They did play glastonbury yeah and that's kind of my point, I think headlining the Premier Irish music festival is something that would appeal to them, the money issue won't come into it, let's be honest they can do what they want and won't be dictated by management telling them they have to play for X amount, again it comes down to them wanting to play. You've mentioned before on here that the top tier acts mentioned, coldplay, ac/dc etc are unattainable price wise and I agree but I think if there is a 'move the festival act' then I think there's a chink of light there for U2 as a possibility

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭Stillill42

That won't catch us out with that nonsense, rubick. We won't be talking about it, will we?

Not here in the Ploughing Championships Thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

How can they fit U2 in with Taylor Swift, AC/DC, Foo Fighters, Oasis, The Beatles, Nirvana, Gerry Cinnamon tribute act and others playing?

Installing a TARDIS generator at the site of the Trailer Park so everything can be seen within the 4 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Musicrules

No sign of the announcement. I got dodgy information from Melvin again. I don't know why I trust that guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Haha Belvo in the mud on this thread. You hate to see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭antfin

I wonder would they be delayed because they're trying to confirm the rebooking of Lewis Capaldi who remains on indefinite hiatus after he cancelled last year. Melvo would expect us all to be over the moon if he secured him... so much different from Gerry Cinnamon, Dermot Kennedy, Paolo Nutini et al, ad infinitum!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I'm not going to suggest U2 don't care about the money, but Bono does also just like to sometimes do things for the reputation rather than the profit, like busking in Dublin or that show Bono and The Edge did during covid in (I think) the Ambassador which afaik was free by invitation to regular punters (they did film some of it for that Letterman documentary but still, can't have been that big a payday out of it). They cleaned up big on the Vegas show already and have nothing else announced, it's conceivable that they'd just want to do EP on a big anniversary for the sake of it feeling like an important cultural event without needing to worry about their usual big payday. I'm not saying I'm putting money on it, just that I can imagine a scenario where it happens, where I couldn't imagine such a thing for some hypothetical huge international act.

Honestly though with the announcement still not even on the horizon, it's starting to feel a bit Fyre Festivaly-y in terms of organisation. As if acts they were counting on are walking away and they're scrambling to fill in the spaces with whoever is still available. Even if they had 3 main acts, that would be enough to announce with like they have done previously, and do a followup when the rest are finalised. This feels like they either don't even have that many locked in, or they feel the few they do have would look very insufficient by themselves.

U2 (DJ Set)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭hold my beer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Makes sense 😀

completely unrelated to the lineup debate, last year was my first time in years there (2007 was last time before this). I very much enjoyed it. My (overvalued) two cents worth:

They need more camping space.

They need to let people bring in chairs…. I say this knowing that sometimes we are our own worst enemy. Guaranteed SOME scrote is gonna chuck a chair and hurt someone if they let them in but I'm an auld geezer and, while last year was perfect weather for sitting on grass when I needed to, I think I'd struggle if the weather was bad.

Signposting. I thought this could have been better for people who had not been there before. Thought that was very poor.

Bringing in alcohol…. Unfortunately again we are our own worst enemy. Would LOVE to be able to bring in our own booze but you KNOW people would just go mental

However I was extremely surprised how clean the place was. Of course there was overflow at the bins etc but compared to other festivals, it was remarkably clear of empty beer cups.

The screens on the main stage were excellent.

The people were, in general, excellent also. (It was fun to see how many people caught when Nutini snuck in "Dayman"… and the look of befuddlement of others. I personally was talking to someone and then went "Wait, did he just say 'Fighter of The Nighman'?… Is he singing DAYMAN???"

Looking forward to this year

Probably due to a number of factors they need to have all the headliners sorted before announcement. From a scheduling to position of the poster rationale they need to have contracts signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Why bother though? Tickets are already sold out long ago for whatever acts announce. At this stage the only thing they're marketing for is the 2025 show, and looking disorganised isn't great for that. It'll be overshadowed by the acts ultimately but it's probably not a great look for people thinking of buying for next year to think that they have to buy them and then not find out who the acts are until very close to the show itself, which doesn't even give much time to sell them on the secondary market if they decide they don't want to go.

It's the Marketing team justifying their existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 seamieom

Fontaines announced for 3arena 6th Dec

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

page is gone from the EP site but that could also just be them re-vamping the site.

Advertisement