Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Wolfe Tones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

Another Alan Partridge "mooooooooooooo" response.

Pig. Grunt.

The people defending the Up The Ra chant never answer what their view on KAT or songs glorifying Loyalist terrorists is.

Because they know full well it's the exact same thing as what they're defending.

It's remarkable that that some eejits think the way to demonstrate their Irishness is by aping the very worst of Loyalism and the English far right.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,380 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Rap music does not have political over tones though - it is all materialistic on about 'hoes' and 'dollar bills'. A lot of the Wolfe Tones stuff does (but not all) have cartoon Republican stuff - for every Ballad of Jimmy Keaveney you get four or five cartoon Republican songs

Has there ever been a Wolfe Tones video with backwards baseball hats, over the top jewellery and songs about banging Mary Lou/Countess Markievicz?

I think it was Dermot Morgan who once said in a skit about Trad Rebel bands - 'We put the pub in the Republic'

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Everyone here knows that 'Celtic Symphony' is actually about a sailor from Glasgow going to see a match at Celtic Park right? It was written to celebrate 100 years of the football club? And that the "Ooh Ah Up the Ra" was a bit of graffiti that he sees on the wall?

It really has about as much to do with the IRA as Bob the Builder does with ETA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Sing ‘Up the ra’ and whatever else you want. It’s going to be some laugh in the next few years when penny drops that a United Ireland will mean guaranteed Unionist seats in the Dail (or whatever it will be called) and guaranteed cabinet representation for Unionists. And many other protections that will be enshrined in the new Constitution as they will be a sizeable minority in the All-Ireland population.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Advertisement

A Trump style sleight of hand to pretend that the meaning of the song is something other than what it is. About as believable as Ian Paisley's insistence that he never supported Loyalist terrorists.

The Wolfe Tones openly supported the Provos. They have other songs which celebrate the Provos, The Helicopter Song and Joe McDonnell (which, like Grace, is a dirge) for instance.

When the Up The Ra song is sung, it's sung for no other reason than to glorify the Provos, it's sung for that line and that line alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Musicrules

🤣 And this is the real issue! Partitionists hate anyone celebrating Republicanism, that's what it boils down to.

The simple facts are that the PIRA stood up to the mass murdering British armed forces and sent about 1,000 of them home in body bags.

There will be no issues in a United Ireland, former unionists remained in the South post partition and had no issues. On the othe hand, Nationalists in the North had to live in a sectarian hate filled state where they were treated like dirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,990 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The vast vast majority of people in the Republic actually don't give a shte about any of those things you just mentioned.

Any time I hear about Northern Ireland the only song comes to mind is Zombie. "In your head, in your head" people actually care but the great truth about NI is that most people don't care about the petty sht they get up to. The English couldn't be fuked about flags commissions or Ulster Scots dialects the Irish don't care about parade commissions and peace walls.

The whole fekin place needs to get over itself.

"Trump slight of hand"

🤣

You ranting is getting out of control.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Typical " what about about them 'uns" response. I never attended a 12th of July festival, but I bet even the most extreme of any of them would not have a band up on a stage in front of thousands, with sound equipment , loudspeakers etc belting out with the crowd "U,U, UDA, F* the Pope and the IRA" ?

Such festivals would be rightly ostracised if not banned if that was the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,800 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Rap music does not have political over tones though

Depends on the Rap music.

Ice Ts Cop Killer got fairly political.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,965 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Whatever about the politics of it all, Id be more offended at paying money to go to a festival and from a musical point of view, seeing that shîte on stage.

a couple of clips I’ve seen on YouTube and the lad up there ‘singing’… in a dreadful off key breathless warbling reminds me of a drunk at a bus stop… sounds like he needs his inhaler and a taxi…..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

What the West Brit Dublin media can't accept or seperate is that the struggle of the early 20th century ran right until the late 90's, there is no seperation in the eyes of a real Irish person. But they cannot accept this and tar nationalist people with the extremist brush of the 70's-90's.

I think a beautiful song like Grace boils the medias piss even more but they will use the stick of Celtic Symphony to beat nationalist people with.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭boetstark

No they didn't, that's a bloody lie.

They were ostracised, abused , and murdered. Protestant / kids making their way to school were name called and stones thrown at them.

An uncle of mine was hung over a bridge in West Cork and threatened with being dropped in the river bandon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Musicrules

The only lies are coming from your post right there. Protestant kids were treated like all others. Protestant people were let live like all others. No restrictions on getting jobs, no being treated like 2nd class citizens, no being burnt out of their homes. The difference between the Free State treatment of protestants and the 'protestant state's' treatment of catholics was stark.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Astonished people dont see the repercussions 30,000 people singing Up the Ra at a music festival in 2023 has on our image abroad. Particularly in mainland UK.

As for the "I saw it in a toilet" - yeah right. Just an excuse for people to sing Up the Ra in the 80s. And today.

A song for Joe Spudmuncher. Same apes you see Olé Oléing around Santa Ponsa.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

That is another revision of history. As a great man once said of the GFA - it was Sunningdale for slow learners. Nothing was achieved after 1974 by the PIRA. In fact the only movement was on our side where we agreed to remove the constitutional claim to Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,800 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Astonished people dont see the repercussions 30,000 people singing Up the Ra at a music festival in 2023 has on our image abroad. Particularly in mainland UK.

What repercussions?

I'd wager virtually everyone in the UK mainland or the wider world either don't know about the concert or care to know.

Oh and quelle surprise here you are.

I'm amazed it took this long.

If there are any revisionists on here, it's the ones trying to tell people that the Catholics/Republicans had everything hunky dory in the North and they should have just put up with things because, you know, eventually everything would have turned out fine.

The Ra ended up having to surrender without getting anything they wanted, and you're absolutely deluded about Unionists just standing idly by and accepting a united Ireland, especially as long as "our side" keeps goading them by singing "Up The Ra".

It's like some people are determined to demonstrate that Unionists do indeed have something to fear from a united Ireland, and that's unquestionably the spirit Unionists will take it in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

I am not offended by the song in the least, but I do I think it is basically the nationalist version of bonfires and burning the Irish flag. Seems to be way more commentary on this than necessary. I am however amazed at how edgy and anti-establishment our geriatric adolescents are.

Was at a festival in the UK weekend just gone. Few odd looks from people when we were talking about the Picnic and why 30k kids were singing Ra songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

"Oi fawt we killed all the fackin Oirish wolves. Electric Picnic? Fackin Paddy Fest, oi-oi. C'mawn you Spurs!"

That's an actual transcript of Rishi Sunak's response when asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The song Grace is a very interesting one. On the one hand republicans sing it with gusto believing it glorifies the "struggle" or the "movement". However an examination of the lyrics tells a slightly different story. In the very first verse:

"From our school days, they have told us we must yearn for liberty

Yet, all I want in this dark place is to have you here with me"

These are words of regret, regret of involvement in rebellion, that what he was taught in school led to an outcome he didn't want, that his freindship and admiration for others led him astray. In many ways it is the ultimate anti-IRA song in that the singer sees that he gave up love and a long life for rebellion and it wasn't worth it.

Joseph Mary Plunkett was a victim of the IRA of his time, as much as he was a victim of the British.

Shouting "West Brit" isn't doing anything for you. It's the resortation of somebody who doesn't have an argument and just want to name call.

We all watch British television, listen to British music, most of us watch British football. Our GAA teams play along county lines drawn up by the British, so they're British creations.

So we're all West Brits of one shade or another.

There should be a jihad against anybody who sings Grace in a public place not because of its lyrical content but because it's a maudlin, saccharine sack of shite which makes "You're Beautiful" by James Blunt seem like Tomorrow Never Knows by comparison. It's music for people who hate music.

The term West Brit seems to be used exclusively by midland culchies.

I would love to know how many of those who use the term "West Brit" support English football clubs! The reasoning being Ireland has a close connection with Man City/Liverpool/Man Utd or some other shite!

Exactly, "We" beat "you" apparently. Where "We" means a random club in an English city owned by an oligarch or shiekh! Which is of course fine, a bit weird to my mind but its ok, I just think that type of person might more accurately meet the description of "West Brit", the very term they throw around as abuse. I support Irish teams, I couldn't give a crap about how foreign teams do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

West Brit meaning that they shout down anything about our past that made us independent. The vast majority of media figures come from old FG/FF stock who would be as happy to have the British in charge as long as their held their wealth and status.

I knew Grace would grind your gears as it's real, the sacrifice of his life and what was left behind him, all the while occupation continued as his comrades were shot one by one. It's real, not soccer supporters on the terrace glorifying bombings, which you want to paint anyone with a nationalist bone in their body as.

Advertisement