Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2023 NFL regular season thread (no picks)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Going again after the penalty sure. It's a much harder play.

All coaches and players think they are scheming to be smarter than the opposition. At least on that play. This way of thinking is how we've devolved into coaches whiffing on sensible 4th down plays cause they just don't want to look silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,362 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Going for it the first time was fine.

The second time (when the penalty pushed them back) is definitely sub-optimal, the chances of getting it are far less than 50/50. Take the PAT here.

The third time (when the Dallas penalty moved it forward to the 4yl) is more marginal, but at this stage you are surely running out of plays in your book.

I disagree that the first play should have stood by the way. It's harsh on the Lions, but by the rules the player wasn't eligible for the simple reason that he wasn't called eligible by the officiating crew and his number wasn't called as eligible over the tannoy. Someone on the Lions (Goff, the player in question, people on the sidelines) should have noticed this. It remains an error by the Lions even if it the root cause was the officials.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

What were the Lions supposed to do even if they did notice the officials mistake? They can't stop the play, all they can do is take a delay of game which is the same result as the penalty anyway.

I agree they can't just award the TD either as the Cowboys need to know who is eligible and who is not. The only criticism of the lions is they made the whole thing more confusing than it needed to be but overall the blame lies with the officials.

Once they called the penalty the lions absolutely should be kicking the XP. The chances of converting from the 4-7 yard line are apparently around 7%

Re your first paragraph, I think proceeding with the play is worse than taking the delay of game. If we agree there's no upside (it'll be illegal touch, or illegal player downfield even if you throw to a different player), then the potential downside is worse than a 5yd penalty. It could get intercepted, fumbled and recovered etc, in which case the Cowboys decline any penalty. It becomes the reverse of a free-play? I may be wrong about how this would be ruled though.

I'm slightly surprised that listening for 'xx has been declared eligible' over the tannoy isn't part of someone's job on these plays. Maybe it's just that this mess hasn't happened before, and it will become something for the offence to listen for going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭Christy42

The refs thought 70 was eligible so why didn't his number get called out?

I don't know if it is mandated it has to be called. It should be to help this in future.

If Goff had idea the refs didn't know who was eligible you take the delay of game to stop the risk of anything bad happening on the play. He saw his player declare and figured it was fine from there, I don't believe Goff would have snapped dit otherwise.

• Advertisement

Lions – Cowboys audio: Dan Skipper, not Taylor Decker, declared eligible (usatoday.com)

The twitter link halfway down this page. "No 70 is an eligible receiver, No 70 is eligible' is clearly the announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Look at the scoreboard - they didn't get the two point conversion. We've no idea whether the Cowboys would have played their defense differently if the refs had announced the other player as eligible.

I'm not criticising him for going for two initially, I'm criticising him for the type of play he went for. When you start bringing in the penalties it was dumb to go for 2 as there is a real difference between taking two and a coin toss.

There is a difference in the redzone at end of the game with it on the line and calling a standard or a trick play. You rarely see the latter at the end of games in the red zone because there are too many moving pieces, including refs.

You call the play with the highest likelihood of success and you're not in a good place if you're relying on trick plays.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The referee was at fault for the play not counting. He reported, that's now accepted by everybody.

They got it and it was wrongly taken away.

Would you be here talking about this if the referee did his job right?

And saying that the Cowboys might have done things differently is ridiculous. The Lions could have went another way if the Cowboys did.

This is all in hindsight by you taking the result into the equation.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Don't think its ridiculous to think the cowboys defend the play differently if they know 68 is eligible. The defense have a right to know who the eligible receivers are and will react accordingly, don't think that's ridiculous at all.

The best the can do is replay the down, they can't simply award the TD.

Week 18 TV Fixtures aka For the Last Time.

A bit meh really, Texans/Colts and Bills/Dolphins obviously massive h2h games for qualification or seeding, but for the other three games it depends on how deep into the well the Ravens, Titans and Bears are willing to go in their role as spoiler.

Outside the TV slate looks like we could have the first proper 'snow bowl' in a few years - at Foxboro for the visit of the Jets. Pity there's not more at stake.

Saturday

Steelers at Ravens 9.30pm Sky Sports

Late Saturday/early Sunday

Texans at Colts 01.15am Sky Sports

Sunday

Jaguars at Titans 6pm Sky Sports

Bears at Packers 9.25pm Sky Sports

Late Sunday/early Monday

Bills at Dolphins 01.20am Sky Sports

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,863 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

That game is the bears super bowl, if they aren't going to the bottom of the well the whole coaching staff and the quarterback will be updating their CVs on the flight home.

I loved Justin Fields saying there's nothing to do in Green Bay except watching football :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,863 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

And Aaron Rodgers stirring the pot too, said "if we always win is it really a rivalry?"

Neither of them are wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

What a horrorshow by Minshew and Goodson at that late 4 & 1 to cost the Colts though the Texans' rejuvenation this season to secure a play-off spot is well deserved

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Looks a fumble in Panthers game

• Registered Users Posts: 39,758 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The eagles are pathetic. That was a terrible half of football.

Siriani will have some serious questions to answer if they don't beat Tampa next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,758 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

i don’t see how they will beat tampa next week based on the last six weeks of the season. How bad was desai that Matt Patricia was seen as the better option ? I wouldn’t be upset if siriani was shown the door after next week. He’s imo lost the locker room.

Yeah, looking like he was very dependent on the 2 coordinators he lost in the offseason

• Happy Birthday to LaMVPar Jackson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

LA Rams at Detroit a confirmed fixture now - am excited. Also Green Bay at Dallas and Philly at Tampa Bay. AFC side still has a few pieces to fall into place.

I've a theory that the Monday wildcard game will always be a 4v5 game as they have least effect on the rest of the schedule so can be left until last. So I reckon Philly Tampa will be that slot, with the alternative 4v5 game of Cleveland Houston not considered as attractive. Though I like that latter match-up myself and it should be a nice time for us (first up Saturday I'd guess?). Idle speculation which may look silly by the morning.

• We don't care where those AFC pieces fall.

Lamar Jackson vs the NFC...

I've emptied the Credit Union and remortgaged the house.

The Bills having been making a mess if it all night on offense. Great drives down the field and then in the red zone two picks and a fumble by Josh Allen. They went in when 14-7 and no score in the third quarter.

Then on a punt Denote takes it all the way and we are tied up at 14 apiece.

I've a feeling the Bills are going to do it.

Miami went three and out and then a great drive down the field and a touchdown for the Bills. 21-14 Buffalo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,136 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Good win for the Bills in the end, fairly comfortable in the end. Sets up some nice games next week.

Too early to call Lawrence a bust?

• AFC

1) Ravens (bye)

2) Bills vs 7) Steelers

3) Chiefs vs 6) Dolphins

4) Texans vs 5) Browns

Some very nice games there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭cosatron

some great match ups, stafford back to detriot,

gb at dallas agianst mccarthy, i could be wrong but i don't think green bay have lost a game in the new dallas stadium.

browns and texan- its a pity watson is injured.

chief and dolphins- hills homecoming

They've been a mess all season, the narrow one score wins early in the season papered over issues. They have the talent to still come right but there is basically no evidence this season that they have the coaching. They're lucky they're playing by far the other worst NFC playoff team and potentially have a route to get a home divisional round game if things fall right for them.

My reading is also that he has lost the locker room. Just don't see the fight from them at all over the last few weeks. Hurts came out yesterday with some standard QB talk about not getting too low or too high but then compare that to his HC who was screaming at the Chiefs fans just before their season fell apart. Hurts, while still on his rookie contract, had to tell him to tone it down during the Super Bowl last year. Never seen a HC who knew where the camera was more than him, which is fine when the team is winning but cant be good for the locker room when they aren't and he seems to have zero answers.

• Advertisement

Absolutely hilarious that no team even tried to speak with him when they could have last offseason.

The teams who are stuck with the mid or lower tier QB carousel deserve everything they get for refusing to break from other owners.

Advertisement