Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2023 NFL regular season thread (no picks)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Christy42

Not sure a cold Chicago night is the best time to have your kicker make their career long.

You could argue in this day and age kicker's should give you a chance from 60 but that isn't Pinero and we'll they hired him knowing this.

Terrible game from both sides. A few stand outs aside it didn't even feel like great defense stopping them.

Not sure I have seen a false start in a victory formation before!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,311 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Week 10 TV Games.

Sunday

Colts at New Rhineland Patriots 2.30pm Sky Sports.

49ers at Jaguars 6pm Sky Sports.

Lions at Chargers 9.05 pm Sky Sports.

Late Sunday/Monday am

Jets at Raiders 01.20am Sky Sports.

Late Monday/Tuesday am

Broncos at Bills 01.20am Sky Sports and Channel 5 UK.

Interestingly the USA network game in the 9pm slot is Giants at Cowboys. Just shows the over-arching power of the NY market and appeal of the Cowboys. Think Sky have been wise to go with the more promising Lions Chargers game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,705 ✭✭✭hynesie08

The country roads thing has jumped the shark.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭PixelPlayer

The sing-a-long is a thing now unfortunately. But I suppose the crowd has to entertain themselves and keep warm when the on field entertainment is so boring.

Even the sky pundits are joining in. **** we've nothing to talk about, let's just join the sing-a-long.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,032 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Bill closing in fast on the most losses in NFL history.

Unless he switches to a team much more ready to win, I cant see him getting to the most wins before age will force him to retire.

• Advertisement

SACK JOHN F*CKING HARBAUGH!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Despite him being the coach of possibly the best team in the league and being one of the best coaches of the last 20 years. Who are you going to replace him with?

I've been listening to this for the last ten years.

I'll take anyone. If you're free for the next few seasons, Adrian, I'd give you a go.

Harbaugh is finished at the Ravens.

Everything else has changed but him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,830 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

With a 7-3 record after losing by 2 points to another team with a winning record, after getting to the playoffs in four of the last five years? Jaysus...not sure who you think will take over that will be an improvement on that

• Registered Users Posts: 37,626 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

One of the best coaches in the last twenty years? How many coaches do you have as one of the best? He's not ahead of any of these.

Bill Belichick

Andy Reid

Bill Cowher

Tom Coughln

Mike Tomlin

Tony Dungy

Sean McVay

Pete Carroll

And just to clarify I haven't done them in order of best to worst.

I'd put Harbaugh and Mike McCarthy as decent coaches but no more than that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Each to their own, but as a coach he's up there with a lot of those, ahead of a few and miles ahead of McCarthy. He's 15 years in Baltimore now and very rarely has he put out a bad team . He's won a Superbowl with Joe Flacco as his QB, very rarely does he ever make bad in game decisions.

I just don't understand the hate at all. Easily top 5 among current head coaches. Ravens would be nuts to move on from him.

Easily top five among active coaches?

I'd have Reid, Shanahan, McVay, Carroll, Belichick, Sirianni, Campbell, McDermott and Belichick ahead of him.

Do you disagree about five of them?

And if he's disliked it's because he's pretentious.

Yes I'd disagree about quite a few of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,032 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Agree with this.

Many on that list have failed or done little when they don't have an elite QB, where Harbaugh has shown he can succeed.

There are also a few on that list who have really have little to show as coaches - McDermott hasn't made a Super Bowl and Campbell hasn't even made the playoffs.

Campbell took over a horrendous franchise, almost took them to the playoffs in his second season and they are legit Superbowl contenders this year.

I assume you are making a sneaky, cheeky dig at Belichick with your comments about coaches not doing well without an elite QB.

Well let me just remind you of 2008 when we lost Tom Brady in the early minutes of game 1 of the season and we went 11-5 with a little known college back up QB named Matt Cassel.

Pete Carroll is heading for his second winning season with a bust named Geno Smith.

McDermott's Bills have a 37-12 record over the last three seasons and been beaten by the Chiefs twice and the Bengals once in the playoffs.

How many games has a kicker won for the Ravens in the last ten years? 18 is the answer, is that great coaching or just lucky to have the best kicker probably ever in the game? How many less games would he have won without Tucker?

If you are suggesting McVay couldn't do it without a top QB, that just make Dan Campbell even better.

Nick Sirianni lost to the Superbowl champs in the playoffs in '21, lost in the Superbowl last season. Tied best regular season record last year, best record to this point so far in '23.

Belichick, Reid, Carroll, Sirianni and Campbell are top five for me. So you are saying McDermott, Campbell, McVay and Shanahan aren't as good as Harbaugh?

And of course I forgot about Mike Tomlin. He's won far more divisional titles than Harbaugh and the Ravens, in the last seven years its 4-2 to the Steelers. So you can put him in there ahead of Harbaugh too.

Anyway, the Bills aren't looking very hot early in this one. The Broncos haven't made them pay yet. 3-0 Broncos.

Touchdown Broncos, Courtlabd Sutton, 9 -0, they missed the PAT.

Broncos win with a field goal right at the end. Lutz missed the first attempt but a penalty for 12 men on defense gave him another go.

Allen was awful, 15 of 26 for 177 yards 1 TD and 2 ints.

Bills could have won it easily if they had semi-decent QB play.

Denver were very poor on offense as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,556 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Not sure what the bills were at tonight but bad INT from Josh Allen, and inability to hold onto the football by both teams. That Super Bowl window we all felt the bills had might be closed shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

That was a deserved but crazy win for Denver. Wilson played well, but why does he always run 20 yards backwards and dance around? Could have cost them when he was sacked twice on the final drive, but was bailed out by Williams Perine and a nice gain by Juedy late on, Buffalo only led briefly, but didn't do enough overall, Cook rebounded well from fumbling on the first play of the game, but was held out for the majority of the first half after it, and they didn't move the ball without him

• Advertisement

Looking unlikely for the Bills to make postseason now. Probably need to get to 10-7 from their current 5-5. I don't think 9-8 makes the cut this year - as things stand a winning team (Bengals 5-4) are outside the top seven seeds.

Schedule is Jets, at Eagles, bye, at Chiefs, Cowboys, at Chargers, Patriots, at Dolphins. Hard to see only 2 defeats in there.

I wouldn't say either team deserved it. Wilson played much better than Allen but I wouldn't use the words 'played well', average would be my description.

That was the worst performance I've ever seen from Josh Allen. Even with a clean pocket the velocity on the ball on short to intermediate passes made it very difficult for his receivers to catch it.

Cook was lucky he didn't lose another one where it bounced off the ground right back into his hands.

The Bills need their bye week, unfortunately for them they have two more games before they get there. They'll be .500 at best when they get there. I don't like their chances against the Jets tbh.

They could still win the division with a 9-8 record.

The Dolphins are very overrated by the media. They have a nice offense but they don't do will against a good pass rushing team. Their defense is awful.

Their wins so far, Chargers at the beginning of the season in a shootout, Patriots twice, Broncos, Panthers and Giants.

Coming off a bye it'll be interesting to see how they go against a revitalised Raiders.

Fair point - I'd mentally discounted/forgotten that if you win the division it doesn't matter a damn what your record is.

Miami 6-3 have Raiders, at Jets, at Commanders, Titans, Jets, Cowboys, at Ravens, Bills. So no guarantees they'll get to 10.

Buffalo have fired OC Ken Dorsey.

I guess somebdy had to take the blame but I don't see how a coordinator who oversaw the second best offense in the league last season and averaged almost 35 ppg through the first four games this season could possibly suddenly get things so badly wrong that he had to be fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭threeball

Lamar has to start taking some blame, he's choked numerous times when the game was on the line and threw a terrible interception to Brown's to tie the game. He's a good QB buts he's not built for pressure. He folds like a deck chair when the chips are down.

At least Jackson takes accountability in interviews

• Registered Users Posts: 28,155 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I see in upcoming TV listings that the Thanksgiving Detroit v Green Bay game will be on Sky Max as well as the usual Main Event and NFL channels.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Deshaun Watson out for the season, shoulder injury.

Advertisement