Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2023 NFL regular season thread (no picks)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Christy42

That contract is designed and restructured to let them push at the start of his contract with that incredible defense. They have used 28 million of cap space the last 2 years on Watson which is pittance for a qb.

However that means that the rest of the money is due against the cap the next few years. He has 64 million against the cap the next 3 years followed by a 9 million hit in a void year. They will likely restructure again next year entirely crippling them for the final two years and the year after he leaves.

This is in addition to not get any first round talent onto the roster as thry traded all their picks for this horrible contract.

Also in addition that this for a qb that has not played well for them. He finally had a good half and is out for the season.

You love to see it. They dug this hole and will lie in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,142 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Do NFL teams have player level insurance so that eg if key player out for season, insurance company pick up wages \ rehab bill?

I thought that was a thing in soccer at least, maybe more so in the past.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,626 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Myles Garrett's cap hits grow over the next couple of years too. I think it's $20 million next year and north of $30 million the following two.

I'm sure if they don't that the players do through the NFLPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,311 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

My instinct would be No, but happy to be proved wrong.

I'd have thought it would be against the concept of the salary cap (which also has a salary floor, a minimum, which is only slightly less than the cap). Like each team is contractually obliged to pay $220M in salaries - getting some of that back in insurance pay-outs would surely be a cheat?

• Advertisement

Would also wonder how cost-effective insurance would be - like surely the premium would be mega high?

We've lost 5 of the starting qb's to season-enders so far (Rodgers, Watson, Cousins, Richardson, Jones) which is 15% in half a season. So presumably with insurance companies wanting a profit margin, then the yearly premium for a $50M salary qb would need to be around $15-$20M.

Whereas in soccer it's only a handful of players who pick up season-enders so premium/insurance works better.

I think it's be done by the percentage of starters that go down in each position on average over maybe the most recent three years.

So let's say it was the same amount as this year, I know the season isn't over yet but let's say five. Then that's just over 15% so I'd expect insurance would be looking for 17% of the annual salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,142 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Well I wouldnt consider it cheating as you wouldnt have that much dollars on the field at same time. Player is inactive long term so has to be replaced.

Its probably more needed in a soccer situation where player X has to retire through injury and you need funds to sign a replacement on transfer market.

Seems like it isnt a thing in NFL probably a factor of players not being sold for big bucks and the deep pockets of franchises.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I can see why an individual player would take insurance against injury costing him future earnings, but I don't see why a team would within the confines of the salary cap. Not something I've ever heard of either, so fairly sure it's not a thing.

Week 11 TV fixtures. It's Super Bowl (rematch) baby.

Late Thursday/Friday am

Bengals at Ravens 01.20am Sky Sports

Sunday

Steelers at Browns 6pm Sky Sports

Buccaneers at 49ers 9.05pm Sky Sports

Late Sunday/Monday am

Vikings at Broncos 01.20am Sky Sports

Late Monday/Tuesday am

Eagles at Chiefs 01.20am Sky Sports and Channel 5 UK.

• Advertisement

Eagles v Chiefs should be a great game with both coming off the bye week.

Last night was brutal. Mark Andrews gone for the season. Joe Burrow could be out for a while, he went off with a right wrist problem. It swelled up.

He couldn't grip the ball or raise his arm after he went off, that sounds like cartilage damage to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭myate

Some run of Niners games on Sky! Last week, this week, next week is Thursday for them, week after is vs. Eagles (which will be game of week surely on Sky) if it isn't on at scheduled time of 9:25 it'll be flexed to SNF.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,548 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The lions and browns haven’t had records this good in the same season since 1969.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Man, Sean McVay made a complete mess of that drive. Left 1.30 on the clock and only a FG needed, also burned 2 timeouts due to not getting the play in on time. Complete mess.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Incompetent clock management by both Sean McVay and Pete Carroll there at the end.

Joshua Dobbs looks like he's going to be a full time starter next year. He really does look very good

Chiefs defense is manhandling the Eagles offense. It's currently 17-7 and Kansas has the ball. If they had a decent receiver, outside of Kelce, the lead would be a lot bigger I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,993 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Eagles determined to waste opportunities. 2 terrible screen plays after a great turn over to give the ball right back

Incredible throw by Mahomes to Watson with pressure all around him. He's just unbelievable at times.

But the drive stalls again. Chiefs lead by three, Eagles have the ball.

• Advertisement

Hurts has had a few of his customary failures to spot wide open guys this game

Then he makes a great throw to get into the 1 yd line

Unbelievable, the Eagles have turned up in this second half. 21-17 Eagles, pressure on the Chiefs to respond now.

Sensational special teams tackle on that punt

Two atrocious drops by Chiefs receivers to kill the game. You love to see it.

Eagles win. Valdes-Scantling did his usual and dropped a perfect pass for a touchdown. Game wouldn't have been over if he got it but he didn't get it so it's a big, likely win lost over the guy with the misty dropped passes this season to date.

Outside chance that Mark Andrews could be back this season as injury not as bad as they feared but would presumably mean us going on a deep enough play-off run.

Edwards, Hill and Mitchell have been brilliant.

Mitchell looking like steal of the draft (can you be steal of the draft if you go undrafted??).

Week 12 TV Fixtures Part One.

Thanksgiving slate is the usual 'bit meh'. For once the Lions aren't the weak link in the first game and the Packers are still competitive as the current #8 seed. Cowboys game could get ugly and Ron Rivera might get a holiday firing. Late game is excellent. Sadly Friday's game hasn't quite worked out the way NFL/Amazon would have expected. Note : Sky Sports are hosting this game from Shooters Bar Manchester, an experiment which was comically terrible last year.

edit : Jeff Rheinbold is back on the Sky Sports team this week 😀

Thursday

Packers at Lions 5.30pm Sky Sports, Sky Max, Sky Sports Mix.

Commanders at Cowboys 9.30pm Sky Sports.

Late Thursday/Friday am

49ers at Seahawks 01.20am Sky Sports.

Friday

Dolphins at Jets 8pm Sky Sports.

Post edited by ArmaniJeanss on

• Advertisement

I'm having a miserable day fasting since yesterday for a colonoscopy tomorrow.

Can't wait for the football, I think I'll forget about the fasting once it begins.

I think the Lions will give the Packers a good going over. They are just too strong on the ground against a weak run defense. This will lead to the Packers moving close to the line and then you've got to deal with Amon-Ra St. Brown, and Jameson Williams seems to be hitting top gear as well.

You'd think the Cowboys should easily handle the Commanders but this rivalry produces the most messed up results.

Last year with the Cowboys still fighting for the NFC East title the Commanders rolled into Dallas and whooped them 26-6. It's 3-3 over the last three years. I've seen 6-3, 7-6 9-7, 38-31, 33-31 in my years watching these two go at it. . It can go anyway anytime.

Late game you have to fancy the 49ers but they haven't a great record in this rivalry despite winning both games last year.

Advertisement